General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Protecto-Plates are the Key

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2023 | 06:46 PM
Alex

Smile Protecto-Plates are the Key

So I Have a 1964 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88.
Here is my story...
By the grace of god, when I bought my car, it contained the original warranty booklet with the Proteco-Plate inside. I then for months tried to find any info about who the man was that owned my car in 1964. Nothing came up until one historian from Madison, Wisconsin opened the door for me. He was able to verify his address he was residing at the time of his death to my Protecto plate. We finally found the man! Ancestry will not display any private information involving living people like addresses or even names in certain cases. I though my journey had ended because Walter had very few living decedents on record. But again somehow I got lucky and one of his sons names showed up in a census from 1976, who ended up having his own kids!!! I Took a shot in the dark to a possible contact and what do you know, its the wife of the living grandson of Walter!! I was amazed I finally found some one who knew him!
This is the part that blew me away, prepare your eyes. After months and months of looking, I found a grandson of Mr. N Walter Helm. This is a picture that was provided to me from him in 1966 and look what's in the driveway...

But the story does not end there. I then this week looked around at Newspapers.com, to see if I could find out more about where my car was bought from. My dealer badge on the car said Ahrens Cadillac-Oldsmobile of Madison, Wisconsin. This dealership went under is 2000 sadly after the death of the original owner Peters Ahrens. I found a few newspapers talking about the dealer but not much. Then, a 1 in a million find happens. I found an ad from April of 1964, advertising an open house at this dealer, how cool! and this still gives me goosebumps. The open house ran from April 20th to the 25th. My proteco plate confirmed the car was purchased April 25th, 1964. That means they saw this ad in the newspaper and went to the open house to buy an Oldsmobile!!!!!!!! WHAT ARE THE ODDS!??!?!

Old February 15th, 2023 | 08:14 PM
Oldsdruid

Alex, that's one of the coolest car histories I've ever heard. Good work!

Go visit yer local historical society and share the story with them. If they're uninterested they don't deserve the title "historian".
Old February 15th, 2023 | 09:13 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Outstanding work and results. I googled the address and there is an apartment building there now.
Old February 15th, 2023 | 10:06 PM

cool stuff right there. that will definitely give you the goosies