General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Problem Installing new rear springs.

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2019 | 10:12 PM

Problem Installing new rear springs.

Good evening.

We are installing new rear springs. 1973 Omega. Was able to get spring attached and loosely tighten, but when trying to lower axle and raise spring so that we can attach lower bracket and u bolt nuts, the springs stops due to the new upper pad does not compress all the way up into the top of the slot. What should I do. The pads are part of the kit from summit for multileaf spring kit. Any suggestions on how to get the spring all the way up into the axle housing?

Thanks BIll
Old July 3rd, 2019 | 07:50 AM
72 Olds CS

A pic may help. I think most members on here have rear coils, but a fresh set of eyes could help resolve your issue
Old July 4th, 2019 | 06:27 AM

Not sure if this will help on the Omega but try putting a small jack under one wheel and raise the wheel height on side and the other side should drop down. Remove that spring the reverse the process. Make sure your car is properly supported on jack stands with the rear suspension just hanging.
Old July 4th, 2019 | 03:05 PM

Summit rear spring? Multileaf? NOVA body?

Be careful. I had to make ~7/16 spacer plates when I replaced my broken leafs with the Summit leafs. The Summit spring pack is too thin, you'll never get it to tighten in the axle bracket properly.

When I stepped on the brake, the axle would slide rearward on the spring, screwed up the steering and eventually put the axle against the transverse muffler, with the tire on the rear of the wheel opening in the fender.