General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The Prettiest One's Paint Color.....

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Cutlass Lover

The Prettiest One's Paint Color.....

Well..... It seems that The Prettiest One's paint color is a mystery!
She is not just Pinehurst Green. She is not the color that is on her tag. On the outside, that is. Her door jambs, inside trunk etc... is the original Pinehurst Green.

They have had the PPG company and 3 other companies analyzing paint samples, and can't match her color. There's a lot of Gold and Metallic in it. They can't tell how much of either, though.

I should be able to get her back on Friday. But her wheels and the places I wanted touched up on her, will be un-touched. John said he has a sheet of 14 spray outs that I can see, to show how they've tried to match the color. They can't even get close enough that it wouldn't be noticable. I am thoroughly depressed now.

They told me to see if I can get a hold of the guy that had her before me, and see if I can find out what brand of paint was used, who painted it for him, etc... I told them I've tried to contact him, but he never answers me.

Rob.... I need you to go to Plano and track down Kelly St. Andre and get me some answers!! Please????
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

That's kind of weird....??? The reason I say that is that I used to work in a few bodyshops and they used to have to match almost EVERY color of car that came in. Even cars that have a really old *** faded paintjob, they would match brand new paint to match 15 year old faded paint. My point is that if they can't match it to a "known" or factory color, they should be able to use some artistic ability to match it to the existing color. Bring it over to me in Baltimore and I will do it for you!

Last edited by silverriff; May 27th, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sandy,
Sounds like the prettiest one needs a new dress. Maybe you can arrange to buy one that matches the rest of her wardroble. It'll sooth your nerves knowing that the whole car will be properly matched. As you know it's much easier to buy the dress than all the accessories that go with it. In this case you've got the accessories, just need to buy the dress and lipstick.

By all means go see silverriff. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Paint can be color analyzed and with the new mixing precision that's available, there's no reason for the prettiest one to be a wallflower. Think of the smile it'll put on your face to see her shiny and happy again!
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Cutlass Lover

I wish I could afford to have her totally repainted, but I can't. I don't understand the whole thing. Thanks for the offer, silverriff. I appreciate it. At least I know what color her engine is!
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
GM Enthusiast

Sandy,

You should ask the shop to get the paint reps in there with their color match camera. That's what Erik (ent72olds) did for me. Came up with a great match.
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Cutlass Lover

They said they tried that too. I don't know. I'll probably take her to some different places in the fall. There are only a couple little places I wanted touched up. I sure didn't know it would turn into a major project! At this point, I just want her home!!!
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:55 PM

Take your fender off and take it to one of those paint matching machines at Home Depot
Old May 27th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Registered

The car had 20's on it when you got it Sandy? Probably House of Kolor, popular product to slap on the Donks in the 'hood.

The car is a color called green, problem solved.

They could scuff that paint and throw a nice '69 GTO Judge Carousel Red on there, they call it red but its' really.... orange.
Don't have to do the roof?

That Spies Hecker camera is what my paint guy was going to have done on mine but they had a formula. What did they use to paint the stone shield? That would be close enough for the wheels I would think, matches the hood pretty good?
Metallic looks different if two different guys spray it with the same gun one after the other, a lot of variables. The problem matching it is the reason they usually have to paint the whole side of a car if any panel or large section needs done, even with solids if you want to do it right.
A good paint guy could match those if it's just nicks, enough to have to look really close to tell anyway.
I volunteer Erik to do it.
You ever see the guys who go around and touch up nicks and scratches on used cars?
Don Sitts is a big time used classic car dealer though? They did nice work on the stone shield, grills and front bumper deal.
I could give you my paint guys name and number Sandy, but he did me good and I don't know if I would want to do that to him, so maybe not.
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:24 AM
Cutlass Lover

She wasn't a donk in the hood, lol! She came from a million dollar home and family! I know Don works a lot on the classics, so I don't understand this. I asked John about the stone shield - it doesn't have the metallic in it - just Pinehurst Green plain old paint, and it's plastic. Different from the body he said.

Do you think your guy would take a look, seriously? I don't have "rest in my ***" yet, as my mother used to say! It would be a privilege for him to work on her!
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:24 AM

My question would be does it have a gold base with metal flake in the green paint. Kind of a one off.
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:35 AM

Come on Sandy just paint it "Mary Kay" pink and be done with it
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by bluevista
the car had 20's on it when you got it sandy? Probably house of kolor, popular product to slap on the donks in the 'hood.:d .:d

smfh!!!!!!!