General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Power Seat Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2016, 12:06 PM

Power Seat Adjustment

Is there any way to manually adjust (fore and aft) the power bucket seat on a '70 Olds A Body? My car was pretty much disassembled when I bought it. Most of the wiring and the dash are out now(thanks John and Joe). The power drivers seat is at the back of it's travel. I have been able to get out three of the four nuts holding the seat in but the 4th is directly under the power motor and I can barely get my finger on it let alone a wrench of any kind. Is there any way I can move the seat forward to get access to that final nut?
Old August 21st, 2016, 12:20 PM

It's just an electric motor so if you can jumper 12 Volts to it you should be able move the seat forward.
Old August 21st, 2016, 02:32 PM

or put a reversable drill on the cables an adjust that way but be carefull..too hard and too fast it will ruin the cables
Old August 22nd, 2016, 04:02 AM

Thanks for both suggestions. I've never worked on anything like this before so I'm a little out of my element. For electrical power, I don't have a spare battery around. Can I use a charger? I'm assuming I would connect to the orange wire coming out of the harness at the front of the seat and then also connect to ground somewhere.

Not sure how to get at the cables. There is a rubber like belt on the front of the seat but I doubt that's what you're talking about.
Old August 28th, 2016, 12:45 PM

I took Fun71's advice and hooked the seat power feed up to a small 12 volt battery. I was able to run the motor in all 4 axis. The seat would actually move vertically but, of course, would not budge horizontally. With my hand under the seat, I thought i could feel the horizontal drive cable moving but no movement of the seat. The good news is that I got just enough elevation on the vertical to be able to get a wrench on the last nut. After a painfully slow 1/16th of a turn at a time, the seat finally came off!!

After getting it on the floor, I hooked up the battery again to see if i could figure out what was wrong. I disconnected both drive cables from the track and ran the switch through its' four positions. Again the motor ran in all but now neither of the cables would turn. I'm way out of my element here but I'm guessing the transmission may be bad. Can I anyone here tell me if they know anybody who rebuilds these or are replacements available somewhere? I'm also going to need the cover over the drive belt as it was not on the car when I got it. Anybody have one?

Thanks
Old August 28th, 2016, 01:31 PM

I have rebuilt many of these transmissions. Most times they just need rebuild and do not need parts. If you want to pull the transmission and send it to me I can rebuild it for $50 and shipping back to you as long as it don't need any parts. If you want to send it to me then send the cables also and I will lube them also. There is a real good chance the entire assembly needs rebuilt but the tracks are fairly easy. Just clean them good and grease all the screw drives and pivots. I also do the entire thing for people. I only rebuild them and clean them up. It is not a "restoration".

The drive belt cover is getting very hard to find. I know I don't hae any extras

Last edited by jensenracing77; August 28th, 2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old August 28th, 2016, 01:43 PM

I forgot, a guy on ebay is making metal reproductions of that cover. Not sure it is a "reproduction" because the original was plastic. I have never seen one but I think it would be ok.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-72-Power-...lT4rrh&vxp=mtr

Last edited by jensenracing77; August 28th, 2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old August 29th, 2016, 03:59 AM

Eric,

Thanks for the awesome offer and the information on the drive belt cover. I will definitely do both.