General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Points of interest in CA/ AZ

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2020, 10:50 PM

Points of interest in CA/ AZ

So. My friend has always wanted to visit USA, but hes not that good at language that he feels like travelling alone.
So one drunken sauna-evening i said to him; okay, ill come with you when we hit 30's, but were going to Winternationals then. Always wanted to see them for some reason.

Were going to attend the Winternats, so after that approx 1.5 weeks free. 2 weeks total.
Now im open to suggestions what to see at those 1.5 weeks between Yuma and LA. Thats awfully short time to anything, but thats what we got, and thats why im asking, to get most out of that time. Thanks.

Last edited by Inline; February 24th, 2020 at 01:09 PM.
Old February 24th, 2020, 02:59 AM

Well I was going to ask if you guys are into aircraft at all because one of the best places to see some history is just south of Tuscon at the Pima air and space museum. They have a bunch of stuff under roof (including an SR71) with more outside and you can take a bus tour of the storage facility at the Davis-Monthan Air Force base. It's a really cool place if you are into aircraft.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...gs_ivs=1#tts=0

The only issue is that it's the exact opposite direction from LA. It would take a day of your time, but I think that it's worth it.

I was there in 2015 and really enjoyed it.
Old February 24th, 2020, 05:30 AM

California is a big state, so its still a long ways from where you'll be but the Redwoods are breathtaking and photos just don't capture it.
Old February 24th, 2020, 05:44 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I haven't been to any of these places as an adult, was in Ca and Az as a child.
If I were in the area I would want to see the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas.
1 stop in AZ would be Desert Valley Auto and 1 stop in Vegas would be to Danny Koker's Counting Customs shop.
As mentioned by others,the air and space museum and redwoods would be great to see also.
So much to do out in that area,and you have little time. Plan well and make the best of it so you don't regret not seeing something once you get back home.
Old February 24th, 2020, 06:00 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

While at the Winternationals,don't settle for just sitting in the stands and watching the races.
Walk around the pit area,you never know who you will run into and you can get feet away from the teams and cars as they prepare and rebuild the cars.
Most of the teams have thin cardboard flyers they leave by their trailers that have info about the cars,drivers and teams. These are free handouts and are great to get autographs on.
Most of the racers and teams are very friendly and approachable,don't be afraid to ask for pics and autographs.
make sure you have a pen or thin line marker and your camera battery is full.
Old February 24th, 2020, 06:57 AM

REcheck your information on the Winternationals. It has been held at Pomona Fairgroungds in California for decades. The second race of the season is held in Arizona
Old February 24th, 2020, 07:15 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

If you include Las Vegas, I would recommend a stop at Hoover Dam also.
Old February 24th, 2020, 07:17 AM
Jeff

Points of interest in AZ:
Obviously, the Grand Canyon, but here are a couple of not-so-obvious ones: Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon (both relatively close to each other), Prescott (have to bar hop along the old Whiskey Row), and Jerome.

Why Jerome? It's an old mining town that has turned into an artist colony. Go on a weekend, when all the shops are open. Visit Caduceus Cellars / Merkin Vineyards, owned by Maynard James Keenan, singer from the band Tool / A Perfect Circle / Puscifer. Stay at the Jerome Grand Hotel, a supposedly haunted former hospital. You might just run into Maynard at the hotel bar.
Old February 24th, 2020, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by 70W-32
REcheck your information on the Winternationals. It has been held at Pomona Fairgroungds in California for decades. The second race of the season is held in Arizona
Good one, thanks for the save. Looled closer the flayer we pulled from internet, and indeed it says IMCA winternationals at top corner...

If some moderator could edit the title to be spesific for California area.

Thanks for suggestions so far, my miss. So now were in LA. Hmm, if the need to visit Yuma turns out, iöl want to see Golden Gate Bridge for sure.

Any idea when 2021 nhra winternats are held?
Old February 24th, 2020, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
o.

Any idea when 2021 nhra winternats are held?
Early Febuary, first or second weekend, depending on when February starts. Check NHRA website for exact dates. Awesome race. Will blow your mind if youve never been to a Top Fuel race
Old February 25th, 2020, 10:23 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Meteor Crater in Winslow AZ...Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Reno, Lake Tahoe, Red Woods, US route 1 along the Cali coast, Sierra Nevada mountain range. Any of the Sierra Mountain national parks, Yosemite National park. San Francisco Lombard Street, and the piers, Alcatraz island, Napa Valley or Sanoma Valley wine trails....Calistoga Mud bath...I could go on and on.
Old February 25th, 2020, 11:08 PM

Uhh. Thanks for options, theres plenty.. And thanks 70W-32 for rough time-table. Damned if we would have found ourselves from IMCA Winternationals…

Not that interested about aeroplanes, Desert Valley Auto sounds really interesting. Las Vegas is no interest for us, already spoke about that. Friend insisted he wants to see NHL-match if im going to see Winternats. So theres plenty of Program for us now, then the rest of time to see points of interest/ relax.