General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Please help find a fitting/plug for AIR removal

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2013, 10:11 AM

Please help find a fitting/plug for AIR removal

So I decided to remove the AIR system from the white 67. It has the Turnpike Cruiser option so it has a 400ci engine. The picture is, of course, of the driver side tubes removed from the engine/head. I have never seen a flare, or inverted flare or whatever it is called, fitting that is long like this. Anyone know if there is a fitting available somewhere, that is long like the picture, to plug the holes in the head? I can get the usual stuff from local auto parts, but wondered if anyone has a better idea than the normal pipe plug or the short plug for flare applications?
I do not want to cut up the existing tubes to make plugs, can't say why, just the way I am. The tubes are perfect, someone may want to use them on this or some other car.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
File Type: jpg

Last edited by 66luvr; October 31st, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:52 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Just remove the tubes from your existing hardware and weld the centers up.
Old October 31st, 2013, 11:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

The A.I.R. tubes fit into the heads with an inverted flare. Dorman Products sells steel inverted flare plugs. Note that these are NOT pipe plugs - the threads are straight, not tapered NPT threads. The Dorman plugs will correctly seal the holes, but they do leave the A.I.R. port open to the inside of the exhaust port. Mondello sells special plugs that have a pilot that fits down into the hole into the port, sealing it if you are porting the heads for maximum flow.

Old October 31st, 2013, 12:49 PM

Thanks guys, yes I am aware of the normal stuff found at the parts houses, even have a few of the ones in the picture. These are too short to reach the flare, they would do as a plug, and is what I will probably end up using, but hoped to find long ones to seal against the flare. I'm going to check Mondello to see what he has.

Mike

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The A.I.R. tubes fit into the heads with an inverted flare. Dorman Products sells steel inverted flare plugs. Note that these are NOT pipe plugs - the threads are straight, not tapered NPT threads. The Dorman plugs will correctly seal the holes, but they do leave the A.I.R. port open to the inside of the exhaust port. Mondello sells special plugs that have a pilot that fits down into the hole into the port, sealing it if you are porting the heads for maximum flow.