General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

photos from the 2009 Olds Club of Canada Nationals

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2009, 05:05 PM

photos from the 2009 Olds Club of Canada Nationals

We arrived a little before 12 noon on Saturday, August 8. This is a two-day (Saturday-Sunday) event, and when we arrived, there were few cars and even fewer vendors. We assumed that most of the cars and vendors would come on Sunday as this seemed to be really a one-day show with sort of a preview or "show and shine" event on Saturday.

The weather was threatening to be awful, and it was. The rain started around noon and didn't let up until after midnight. We were not able to attend on Sunday, but the weather was much better, and I hope someone posts some photos from that day. We counted maybe 15 cars and four parts vendors in attendance when we were there.

Some were complaining in other threads about the location. It is not that difficult to find, but it is deep in the park. There are signs to guide you. One drawback is the $10 charge to enter the park. You can enter as much as you want that same day for the one ticket purchase, but if you wanted to go back the second day, it would be another $10 to get in. I believe that those who paid to enter the show had the admission price included in their entry fee.

One things we noticed is that every car there had an Ontario license plate. Canada is a big, sparsely populated country compared to the U.S., so it didn't surprise us that we didn't see any Alberta or Nova Scotia license plates. But we were a bit surprised not to see any Michigan or New York plates. London is less than two hours from Detroit or Buffalo. Maybe some were there on Sunday.

Click here to see the photos.

Last edited by jaunty75; August 9th, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:39 PM

wow! I really dont know what to say. That was a National event?
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:00 PM

You have to keep a few things in mind.

First, the Olds Club of America has about 6,000 members. The Olds Club of Canada has 150, according to their website. This is only 1/40th as large, and it's about as many as in a good-sized OCA local chapter, so you would expect their car show to be about as large as a typical OCA chapter show. Of those 150, probably 149 of them live within a half-day's drive of London, where, I believe, the show is held every year.

Second, as I pointed out, this was only Saturday, and the main event is on Sunday. Given that you cannot leave your car on the show field overnight, this means that, if you want to come for both days and don't live in the area, you must park your pride and joy in a hotel parking lot, unsupervised, overnight. How many people want to do that? For many types of collector car insurance, leaving your car unsupervised in a public place is a violation of the terms of the policy.

My guess is that most of the attendees to this show just come in for the main event on Sunday, as that's when judging is done and awards given out. Again, it's much like a single-day car show held by a local club. I was not there on Sunday, so I don't know what the turnout was like. Couple that with the lousy weather on Saturday, and it was no surprise that turnout was low, especially given that nothing of consequence judging-wise happens on Saturday.

Third, as I pointed out, Canada is BIG with a low population density, and the show is going to be relatively small no matter how you slice it. For the OCA Nationals, many people in the U.S. will load up, form a caravan with friends, or whatever, and either drive or trailer their Olds from Texas to Pennsylvania or Missouri to California as much for the fun of the trip as for the show itself. Then, they know that when they get to the show, it will be a four-day event, there will be lots of cars to see, a large swap-meet, and a chance to catch up with long-distance friends, so it will have been worth the trip. You can't say this for the OCC event. No one in New Brunswick or Saskatchewan is going to drive or trailer his car 2000 miles round trip just to be in a single- or two-day car show with 50 cars in it. It's just not worth it. There is no closing banquet nor any "spouse" events like tours to local museums or whatever.

So my guess is that the vast majority of attendees to this show are from Ontario and probably all from no more than about two or three hours' drive from London. There are probably some who come from farther away, but, as I said, when I was there, the only plate I saw on any car was Ontario. I'd love to hear from anyone who was there on Sunday how many cars ultimately showed up.

Last edited by jaunty75; August 9th, 2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:26 AM

Hope sunday was bigger. I think the olds club of WI renner/lynch show has a bigger show field. But it was cool that 2 64's showed up
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by vista461
But it was cool that 2 64's showed up
There were three, actually. The two Cutlasses plus the green Starfire.
Old August 10th, 2009, 05:06 AM

Well, I'll chime in on this since I was there for both days. I was the vendor with all of the "junk", the other three vendors had the nice/new/NOS stuff.
The rain did play a big part in this poor turn out on Saturday. But, there were still about twenty cars there that day. Was nice in the morning before the rain.
Day two started out to look ok, but then the thunder started rolling in and then, a couple of quick rains came. It dried up fairly well after that, and the show was on again.
Overall, I would guess that there were about 50-60 cars in total. Not too bad really considering the weather.
As far as the Americans not coming, I really believe that the government has put a damper on the car enthusiasts wanting to cross the border now with the new passport laws. This hurts in both directions as well. I did not go to Lansing this year for the same reason.
Here are a few pics I took on day two. Others will have some nicer pics up soon I would think. There were a few members from this site there taking pics and video of the event.

This first pic is day one. The owner of this car was leaving and wouldn't be back for day two, so I had to get a pic of it before he left.
P1010003.jpg

A nice 72 442 'vert
P1010012.jpg

1928 Olds with a 4cyl mazdz deisel engine. Was real rough looking but very cool either way.
P1010010.jpg

1971 442 W-30 'vert
P1010009.jpg

Awesome f-85 W-31. Sweet ride I must say!!!
P1010008.jpg

This is my little girl with a car she really liked. She WANTED her picture in front of it.
P1010041.jpg

Awesome 67 442 Wagon!
P1010043.jpg

Derek Nesdoly's awesome looking '69 442 Post/4 speed

A real nice '66 Tri-power 442.
P1010048.jpg

A nice 66 Toronado,
P1010029.jpg

A sleek looking 1970 Ninety-Eight I think...
P1010034.jpg

A real nice '73 Hurst Olds
P1010036.jpg

Good looking '69 Supreme.
P1010038.jpg

The Awesome '68 442 W-30 owned since new.
P1010023.jpg
P1010024.jpg
I love the W-30 decals in the scoops!
P1010026.jpg

1969 442 with 1970 options
P1010022.jpg

There were others, but you will see them when Muskrat, Derek Nesdoly, and Oldzzy post up their pics. I know they all took many.
Duane

Last edited by 69Rman; August 10th, 2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old August 10th, 2009, 05:15 AM

Well, I'll chime in on this since I was there for both days. I was the vendor with all of the "junk", the other three vendors had the nice/new/NOS stuff.
Oh, don't be so hard on yourself. It all looked pretty junky to me!

Seriously, thanks for the Sunday photos. I wish I could have been there. We might try to get there next year and go on Sunday. Good point on the border-crossing issues. You now must have a passport to do so. Not everyone does, and not everyone wants to pay the nearly $100 it costs for U.S. citizens to get one.

That all black number, by the way, is, I believe, a 1970 Ninety-Eight, not a '71 Delta 88. It's certainly a 1970 model as 1971 began the new large car body style that would last through 1976.
Old August 10th, 2009, 05:38 AM

Thank you jaunty75, I'll correct that. As I was saying, I am really an A-Body guy, but starting to love all of them Olds' as everyday passes.
Duane
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM

I regretably could not make it out for the show as I had wished. Too busy at work and with the kids to get the car in shape, and a last minute trip to cottage country to feed the moquitos.
I promise to make it out next year and meet some other local Olds nuts.
One of the issues here in Canada, is that the few summer weekends are often consumed with other priorities, such as family and home repairs, before the snow flies again.
Do you guys in california not get sick of the sun?
Here's hoping for a great show for my first visit next year.
Cheers Eh!
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Im suprised so few showed up....We had 75 oldsmobiles to our Northern Lights run in Olds Alberta a couple of weeks back
Old August 11th, 2009, 04:03 AM

Someone posted in another forum that there were about 50 cars there in total on Sunday and that this was considerably below expectations. I counted about 60 trophies in total on the display table in the lodge, so maybe everybody got to go home with one, and some with more than one!
Old August 11th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Someone posted in another forum that there were about 50 cars there in total on Sunday and that this was considerably below expectations. I counted about 60 trophies in total on the display table in the lodge, so maybe everybody got to go home with one, and some with more than one!
My wife and i went as spectators and even we got a trophy.

just kidding............
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM
olds..older..oldest

OCC 30th ANNIVERSARY MEET

So I drove the 31/2 hrs. down to my first OCC meet in London on Friday.Only 4 cars at the hotel.Saturday was a washout[rain] but at least I got to meet Muskrat,Bulldog,Yellowstatue and 69erman! Sunday was a whole lot better despite the rainy episodes and humidity that made it feel like 114 F.Got a ton of pics and when my daughter sets it up,I'll post them all.There WERE a number of cars there from Michigan,including a sweet 69 Hurst and a 70 and 71 W-30.According to the members I talked to,the meet that used to have 150-200 cars is "dying" because the old guard leaders have failed to promote the Club and event,especially to the large N.Y. contingent that used to show up...Hey, the OCA show was here one year!I did learn a lot from the other participants,but a] I will only go down for the Sunday part in the future, and b] I am making plans to drive down to the 2010 OCA meet next year!! p.s. a round trip from Sask. to this show is a LOT more than 2000 miles!!...Derek
Old August 12th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Cool Pic ID

The '66 Toro belongs to Steve Plunket of the Fleetwood Charity Cruise and the under hood shot with the '69 ram air w/ A/C was not Peter Hendels '68 W30...28,000 miles original paint...the red door of Pete's car is in the right of that picture...the '67 wagon belongs to John Vandertuin, and the '65 Starfire belongs to Keith Moore...

Last edited by Yellowstatue; August 12th, 2009 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Digit repair
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:22 AM

p.s. a round trip from Sask. to this show is a LOT more than 2000 miles!!
I was using very round numbers!

I just now Google-mapped it, and it's right around 3,000 miles round trip from Regina, Saskatchewan to London. Interestingly, Google routes it through the U.S. Enter the U.S. at North Dakota, go through Chicago, and re-enter Canada at Port Huron, Michigan. Staying in Canada the whole way makes it about 200 miles longer each way.
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:43 AM
zed

Your car looks great Derek. Those are some big meats on the rear, wow.
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Oldsdruid

Duane, your daughter has impeccable taste! Now you have to learn about Starfires since it's likely she'll want one...

Was the show at Fanshawe Park again? Beautiful area and some great cars showed up in spite of weather.

Weird to me. They want passports for US-Canada travel now all the while beating the drums for that NAFTA Superhighway from Mexico to Canada.
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM
zed

I think the North American Union is on it's way...