General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

people make me laugh

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2011, 05:31 PM

people make me laugh

there is a 72 cutlass 4 door here local and i have tried to buy this car for the past 3 years. well, he finally decided to sell it and called me. this car was hit in the front end and the hood, passenger side front finder, core support, and radiator are bad. the car is also rusted out. he said he wanted $3500 to this car. i told him i could not even come close to that. he wanted me to make him an offer. i told him i didn't want to offer him anything because he was to far away from what i would offer. well, he talked me into making an offer and it was $300. he got mad and told me that this car had the "Rocket" engine and not the regular engine, lol. he said that the rocket version of this engine will bring close to what he wants for the car. he had all kind of other information about Oldsmobiles that i didn't know. i told him i had several 350 and 455 rocket engines i would sell him for half of what he thought they were worth. for some reason he didn't want them for such a good price. needless to say, i won't be bringing this one home.
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Or cry...

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
People make me laugh

- Eric
Old July 12th, 2011, 06:05 PM

Eric,
Just for kicks, give me his number & I'll tell him I'm looking for one of those "special" gold rocket engines, I'm sure I could have some fun with him. I get probably one call a week looking for the "gold" rocket engines. Funny how people don't know half of what they think they know, me included!!!
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:59 PM

I just ran into a guy who has a 56 and said it had the "stock" 455 in it from that year. I was hoping I didn't hear him properly and he said it had "a stock 455" in it, but nope he said it was the original 455.
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
there is a 72 cutlass 4 door here local and i have tried to buy this car for the past 3 years. well, he finally decided to sell it and called me. this car was hit in the front end and the hood, passenger side front finder, core support, and radiator are bad. the car is also rusted out. he said he wanted $3500 to this car. i told him i could not even come close to that. he wanted me to make him an offer. i told him i didn't want to offer him anything because he was to far away from what i would offer. well, he talked me into making an offer and it was $300. he got mad and told me that this car had the "Rocket" engine and not the regular engine, lol. he said that the rocket version of this engine will bring close to what he wants for the car. he had all kind of other information about Oldsmobiles that i didn't know. i told him i had several 350 and 455 rocket engines i would sell him for half of what he thought they were worth. for some reason he didn't want them for such a good price. needless to say, i won't be bringing this one home.
I get that at car shows all the time. "Is that the Rocket 455?" "Yep, this is the version they use for the space shuttle." BTW, what's the "regular engine"?
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:54 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

There are people all over the UK thinking they are sitting on a goldmine with an old car rotting into the ground, probably with an engine that won't run either.
There is a prime example next door to one my friends, an old Ford that hasn't run in 6 years and covered in rust. He wants £3000 for it - about the price a fine low mileage fully historied rust and fault free example might fetch.
Let them live in their fantasy world and get on with real life.
Roger.
Old July 13th, 2011, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Eric,
Just for kicks, give me his number & I'll tell him I'm looking for one of those "special" gold rocket engines, I'm sure I could have some fun with him. I get probably one call a week looking for the "gold" rocket engines. Funny how people don't know half of what they think they know, me included!!!
lol, we could call him Saturday