General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

PayPal hacker's?

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2014, 05:11 AM

PayPal hacker's?

Morning all, anyone know if someone is hacking PayPal? I received a message that someone is interested in some of my parts. They can't come and get it but will send full payment and have movers come and get it. Seems odd to me.

Any advice?
Old November 20th, 2014, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle's 77 Cutlass
Morning all, anyone know if someone is hacking PayPal? I received a message that someone is interested in some of my parts. They can't come and get it but will send full payment and have movers come and get it. Seems odd to me.

Any advice?
Scam. Any time you get a response that says something like "I'll pay full price & have movers...." its a scam. Sometimes it'll also say, "I'll send you extra in the payment & you can return the unused part in cash".

Why do you think PayPal is involved ?
Old November 20th, 2014, 05:53 AM

Very much doubt that someone is hacking paypal. The amount of skills required would put someone in a league that they would not resort to bush league Nigerian scams. What is probably happening is that they are impersonating paypal, and trying to get you to click on a link that looks like the paypal website and will instead give them your account info.

Paypal will cover you in case of a scam. If someone wants to pay via paypal, give them your account name and have them pay in advance. Once you have that in your balance, their movers or whatever can come, and you take pictures and have them sign for it. However, someone running a scam will just drop contact at that point and never show up. The idea behind the extra cash is that they get that from you, but you never get the full amount from paypal.

Someone buying something from pictures and having someone come get it is not necessarily a scam.
Old November 20th, 2014, 07:15 AM

Okay thanks for the replys.
Old November 20th, 2014, 10:29 AM

"PayPal" scam emails

FWIW, recently I've been getting a number of emails from "PayPal." They look pretty close to official. However there are slight nuances that are the tip-off - beside the fact PP says they will never email users directly about this type of thing ("need to update...", etc.) The originating email addresses were each different and some sort of knock-off of true PayPal URLs, such as "P-Pal," "PPal," etc. I took them as phishing scams and permanently deleted them, post-haste. Later I logged onto my PayPal account from a different computer and found that all was/is well - they are not looking for updates, info, etc.

Beware the phishers!
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
.... bush league Nigerian scams. What is probably happening is that they are impersonating paypal,.....
Originally Posted by BackInTheGame
FWIW, recently I've been getting a number of emails from "PayPal.".......
Beware the phishers!
Yep. They've been particularly busy in recent weeks:. Here's a few I got...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2014 10:00 AM
To: xxxxxxxxx
Subject: You have (1) new message.

Your new payment of $48 sent to kristinob1@comcast.net is on hold.
Money is being temporarily held. The sender may be disputing this payment,
or the payment may be under review by PayPal.
Was this you? If so, please disregard the rest of this email.
If this wasn't you, please follow the link below to cancel the payment.
RESOLUTION CENTER <http://www.menkan.com.ar/themes/_fa/index.html>
If you already received this message please ignore it.
C 1999 - 2014 PayPal

Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2014 10:27 AM
To: xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: The money is being temporarily held.

Your new payment of $48 sent to kristinob1@comcast.net is on hold.
Money is being temporarily held. The sender may be disputing this payment,
or the payment may be under review by PayPal.
Was this you? If so, please disregard the rest of this email.
If this wasn't you, please follow the link below to cancel the payment.
RESOLUTION CENTER <http://www.menkan.com.ar/themes/_fa/index.html>
If you already received this message please ignore it.
C 1999 - 2014 PayPal

Sent: Monday, October 13, 2014 9:24 AM
Subject: PayPal Annual Survey.

Tell us what you think of PayPal in this 30 second survey, and, to say "thank you"
we have reserved a few rewards worth over $75 for completing our short survey!
Start Survey
C 1999 - 2014 PayPal.
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 7:26 AM
Subject: Suspicious activity.

During a recent screening, we noticed an issue regarding your account.
We have limited your account access after three unsuccessful login attempts.
We need a proof that you are the owner of this account click here and update your account information.
Copyright ? 1999-2014 PayPal. All rights reserved.

I forward these to spoof@paypal.com - PayPal's scam/phishing tracking dept.

Paypal will cover you in case of a scam.
Not always & don't count on it.

.... Someone buying something from pictures and having someone come get it is not necessarily a scam.
Perhaps...But, offering full price if you'll ship (particulalry some difficult to ship item like a table, refridgerator, etc..) in the initial respoonse and using the word "item" in verbage like "...the item you have listed.." instead of saying the actual name/description of the thing, almost guarantees it's a scam.

I get several of these "I saw the item.." emails everytime I put something on CL. Me = "Sure! I'll ship a $100 fridge to Alabama ! No prob! Want that over-nighted !?!"

Scumbags....

Oh, and if someone does mistakenly respond to a PayPal phishing email, they should immediately go to the real PayPal site & login & change their password. If they can't get in, too late - phishers got in & changed it. Contact PayPal.

Never, ever, click on a link in an email regarding anything financial. If it's a known vendor to you, go directly to their site & go from there.

Last edited by Indy_68_S; November 20th, 2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old November 20th, 2014, 11:37 AM

X2 on Pay Pal phishers. I never open , just forward to spoof and then delete.
Old November 20th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by m371961
X2 on Pay Pal phishers. I never open , just forward to spoof and then delete.
I got one a few weeks ago myself. "They" wanted an update to my address.
Sent it to the spam folder. Just check your personal pp acct. If it's official notice, they will notify you through your acct.
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:58 AM

today's spoof
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
15106_PayPale spoof.jpg (26.1 KB, 40 views)
Old April 16th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Runner

All scams, don't waste your time. Get him to call you and mail a check if he really wants them that bad. (or course wait for check to clear)
Old April 16th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Rocketeer

The state-sponsored Russian and Chinese hackers are quite talented. They have all of the technical expertise to hack Fortune 500 security systems, as we've seen all too many times in the news. They've breeched everything from banks to insurance companies to brick and mortar retailers. I guess you should expect this sort of thing, if you believe that a Cyber Cold War is taking place, and that this type of hacking is government-sponsored and not attributable to script-kiddies.

We have an intrusion detection system on the computer network at work. We witnessed a coordinated attack on our firewall from over 1000 different internet addresses, all attacking simultaneously, all of which traced back to mainland China. We were literally being attacked by an ARMY of computers. Those people were clearly trying to breech the network to steal intellectual property in an act of state-sponsored corporate espionage.

That said, the people who go phishing for your paypal account information are minor league independent players. Instead of having the talent required to penetrate a secure system, they focus on baiting you into doing something unsafe, like revealing account numbers or other private information.
Old April 16th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Octania
today's spoof
Yeah, same ol same ol. I had the same thing in a different visual. Apparently written by the Nigerian Prince himself or similarly illiterate individuals. Don't You Love Spoof Emails?

Here's what you will receive after sending paypal information about the spoof or phishing email:

Dear Allan R,
Thank you for being a proactive contributor by reporting suspicious-looking emails to PayPal's Abuse Department. Our security team is working to identify if the email you forwarded to us is a malicious email.

Paypal Will Always:
- Address our customers by their first and last name or business name of their PayPal account

Paypal Will Never:
- Send an email to: "Undisclosed Recipients" or more than one email address
- Ask you to download a form or file to resolve an issue
- Ask in an email to verify an account using Personal Information such as Name, Date of Birth, Driver's License, or Address
- Ask in an email to verify an account using Bank Account Information such as Bank Name, Routing Number, or Bank Account PIN Number
- Ask in an email to verify an account using Credit Card Information such as Credit Card Number or Type, Expiration Date, ATM PIN Number, or CVV2 Security Code
- Ask for your full credit card number without displaying the type of card and the last two digits
- Ask you for your full bank account number without displaying your bank name, type of account (Checking/Savings) and the last two digits
- Ask you for your security question answers without displaying each security question you created
- Ask you to ship an item, pay a shipping fee, send a Western Union Money Transfer, or provide a tracking number before the payment received is available in your transaction history

READ!
Any time you receive an email about changes to your PayPal account, the safest way to confirm the email's validity is to log in to your PayPal account where any of the activity reported in the email will be available to view. DO NOT USE THE LINKS IN THE EMAIL RECEIVED TO VISIT THE PAYPAL WEBSITE. Instead, enter www.paypal.com into your browser to log in to your account.

What is a phishing email?
You may have received an email falsely claiming to be from PayPal or another known entity. This is called "phishing" because the sender is "fishing" for your personal data. The goal is to trick you into clicking through to a fake or "spoofed" website, or into calling a bogus customer
service number where they can collect and steal your sensitive personal or financial information.

We will carefully review the content reported to us to certify that the content is legitimate. We will contact you if we need any additional information for investigating the matter. Please take note to the security tips provided above as they may help to answer any questions that you may have about the email you are reporting to us.

Help! I responded to a phishing email!
If you have responded to a phishing email and provided any personal information, or if you think someone has used your account without permission, you should immediately change your password and security questions.

You should also report it to PayPal immediately and we'll help protect you as much as possible.
1. Open a new browser and type in www.paypal.com.
2. Log in to your PayPal account.
3. Click "Security and Protection" near the top of the page.
4. Click "Identify a problem."
5. Click "I think someone may be using my account without permission."
6. Click "Unauthorized Account Activity."

Thank you for your help making a difference. Every email counts. By forwarding a suspicious-looking email to spoof@paypal.com, you have helped keep yourself and others safe from identity theft.

Thanks,
The PayPal Team
Please do not reply to this email. If you need to follow up, please follow the steps above to access your account and utilize the Contact Us resources from our site.

Last edited by Allan R; April 16th, 2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old April 16th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Kjr442

Never open, and then log in through a email. Never let the item leave your hands until your bank tells you the funds have cleared.