General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Don't you love Spoof emails?

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Don't you love Spoof emails?

So I just got this from, ahem, Paypal. Yeah right. See how many glaring errors you can find in 30 seconds... Of course it's bogus but how many will fall victim without proof reading this junk?

To emulate the nature of this email, hears what I n0ticed immediately...

If I'm their client, they would address it to my proper name as indicated on Paypal records.
my 'access online'? How awkward, should be online access?? Besides which I was just recently accessed my paypal acct and it's just fine....
'been' with different fonts
'date..' with 2 periods.....
'billing'
'CliCK' on the 'boutton' below
'linK'
website

Spelling aside, In my experience:
- Paypal never contacts a client - the client has to contact them.
- a legitimate contact would have both the link and the phone contact number on it
- any request to update 'billing information' is a scam.
- Oh yes, be sure to enclose a check for 3000.00, we'll send you a rebate of 2950.00. Can you spell Nigerian Prince needs money??
- What? An ULTIMATIM to git r done in 2 days or less? I'm shaking in me boots wit terror knowing I'm doomed
- I'm sure that if someone hits the CONFIRM ACCOUNT that will launch a trojan into your hard drive to extract all the personal data you've got. IDK if that's how it works cause I don't fall for this BS.
- Even though Paypal has been notified there's bugger all they seem to be able to do except tell me to delete it. Duh....way ahead of them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fake paypal.jpg (36.3 KB, 104 views)
Old April 13th, 2015, 08:52 PM

I keep getting phone calls about my Windows computer. Very strong Indian accent. The problem is, I don't have a Windows computer, I have a MAC. One of these times I am going to lead them on to see how far they will go.
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by edzolz
I keep getting phone calls about my Windows computer. Very strong Indian accent. The problem is, I don't have a Windows computer, I have a MAC. One of these times I am going to lead them on to see how far they will go.
Google the phone number in your caller ID from this one.
There is a GIANT body of complaint information about these people.
Apparently, they are almost undeterrable, and will keep calling no matter what you do or say, and get nastier and nastier each time. If you block their number, they will spoof another.
They're somewhere waaaaay overseas (like India, maybe), so there's nothing the phone company, Better Business Bureau, Police, or FBI can do about them.

- Eric
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Naw, I just tell them to bite me and hang up.
X2 on them just not giving up. Next time I should try speaking to them as if I was from India. I actually had one of them call me right back after I hung up on them and asked me "deedjew jess hankup on me"? I said "Yup" and hung up on him again.

It's not just these idiots that spoof phone numbers though. I had that from a major hotel chain and airline too. Of course I reported it. Come to think of it, been almost 2 months now and no calls from either of those bozos. Maybe it worked to complain to the CRTC.
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:49 PM

Allan, you can report that to PayPal: spoof@paypal.com
Old April 13th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, I have in the past and all they do is tell me to delete it.
Old April 14th, 2015, 09:07 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Wish there was a way to send high freq sound or high amp shock over the phone. Sort of like a "That Was Easy" button only with about 200db and or 100KVA!
VISUAL: Picture the smokin head with a blown ear drum on the other end...that would be a deterrent to not making an honest living! LOL!
Old April 14th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

When I worked EMS, if Dispatch was being annoying, we'd have one partner stand in front of the bus, hold the radio directly in front of the siren outlet, key the mic, and give the other partner the sign, and then the other partner would hit the siren.

They usually got the message.

- Eric
Old April 14th, 2015, 11:18 AM

I like that, Eric.

One thing to do is never give your phone number. I get very few calls on my cell because I don't give it out. Any place that asks for a phone number, you can say decline. Any online place, give it a fake. About the only thing you need to give a phone for is financial stuff with your credit cards, bank accounts, insurance. Stuff where they depend on keeping records to retain you is ok, like the above. Stuff that they just want your number is not a good idea. My books-a-million card is on a number I used to have, that way they can't call me.

On the other hand, my work phone gets trolled hard. I think people's emails have been hacked and my number has been traded like a two dollar ho.
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
So I just got this from, ahem, Paypal. Yeah right. See how many glaring errors you can find in 30 seconds... Of course it's bogus but how many will fall victim without proof reading this junk?
Yeah, I get scams like this from paypal and facebook telling me some horrific event has happened and I must click on the link to log into my account. I laugh as I don't have a facebook or paypal account, but I do wonder how many people blindly fall for it.