General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Parts Place quarter panels

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2021, 05:45 AM

Parts Place quarter panels

I'm looking for feedback on The Parts Place 70 -72 Cutlass Supreme full quarter panels, specifically convertibles. Does anybody know if they use the regular names, ie., Goodmark, Sherman, or is it their own deal? Thanks. I'm always suspect of their products, sometimes great, sometimes close but not as good as others.
Old June 20th, 2021, 07:23 AM

I can tell you I bought a pair of full quarters for my convertible but cut them down some because I didn’t need the entire thing . They fit pretty good but, the metals is quite a bit thinner than originals so take care with your welding .
Old June 20th, 2021, 08:15 AM

Always better off using GM sheet metal.

Good used is always better than reproduction.
Old June 20th, 2021, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by My442
Always better off using GM sheet metal.

Good used is always better than reproduction.
I hear you, but In my situation, in Nova Scotia, there are no opportunities here to acquire rust free sheet metal, plus shipping is extremely expensive from a private or small vendor in the U.S. I'm forced to use reproductions and take advantage of minimal shipping costs to the Canadian border from an Ebay purchase and pick up there myself.
I'm just trying to determine if The Parts Place is selling the same as everyone else and if there are any issues to be concerned about. Cheers.
Old June 20th, 2021, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by deadeyejedi
I can tell you I bought a pair of full quarters for my convertible but cut them down some because I didn’t need the entire thing . They fit pretty good but, the metals is quite a bit thinner than originals so take care with your welding .
I wonder if that's the same with all the repro panels. I did buy a Taiwanese trunk lid and it was also a little thinner, but did fit well.Thanks for your response .
Old June 20th, 2021, 11:34 AM

I can’t imagine there are too many companies stamping out their own quarter panels . I bought mine through Fusick Oldsmobile and they were parts place quarters. I’m no expert body man but I made them work to my satisfaction.seems I made hundreds of tack welds then ground them flat it was a process but it looked ok when I was done . make sure you allow time for the welds to cool as you go that thin metal can easily warp . Take your time and you’ll be fine . Good luck with it !
Old June 20th, 2021, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by deadeyejedi
I can’t imagine there are too many companies stamping out their own quarter panels . I bought mine through Fusick Oldsmobile and they were parts place quarters. I’m no expert body man but I made them work to my satisfaction.seems I made hundreds of tack welds then ground them flat it was a process but it looked ok when I was done . make sure you allow time for the welds to cool as you go that thin metal can easily warp . Take your time and you’ll be fine . Good luck with it !
The fact you bought from Fusick and it was The Parts Place quarter gives me some confidence, thanks for the response and tips.