General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Paint for Frames and Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2024, 10:36 PM

Paint for Frames and Control Arms

Hi. Is there a consensus on paint for frames and control arms?

I'm working on a 1972 Cutlass but I suppose just about all the cars represented on this site should have had very similar frame and control arm coatings.

I've used the Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black on a few different things in the past and have been happy with the results and durability. I have also had things powder coated in the past but would like to stick with paint for what I'm doing right now.

Does this product give the correct sheen for a factory look on frame and control arms? I've looked at some restoration threads here and seen it used but wanted to see if there was anything else that I should consider. For the control arms at least, I'd like to put the paint in my sprayer so I'd need something in a quart.

Also, has anyone used an internal frame paint like Eastwood Internal Anti Rust coating?

I'm working my way through glass beading the control arms (man this takes some time!) and will be ready for paint in a week or so.

Sorry if this has been covered here. I did search but wasn't able to find anything directly answering this question. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Steve
Old April 23rd, 2024, 05:00 AM

Never used the Eastwood products but if you like past results why change? Depends what the desired results are, driver or show car? Easiest is powder coat while on the other end of the spectrum would be direct to metal primer or epoxy, fill the imperfections then paint.
Old April 24th, 2024, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Post70
Never used the Eastwood products but if you like past results why change? Depends what the desired results are, driver or show car? Easiest is powder coat while on the other end of the spectrum would be direct to metal primer or epoxy, fill the imperfections then paint.
I'll be doing both with this car as I have in the past - take it to shows but also take it out for a drive on a nice day.

My experience with the Eastwood frame paint is not on restorations so while I like the paint, I wasn't sure if it gave the correct sheen and appearance for a show car - I'd like to get it right the first time.

Any experience with a product for coating inside the frame?

Thanks.

Steve
Old April 24th, 2024, 06:48 AM

I just used the Eastwood 2K spray on my aluminum fuel lines. It is really tough stuff, no scratches during installation and laid down nicely.
Old April 24th, 2024, 06:51 AM

I’ve used this before, needs a gun and wand to get the full benefit. Works great on the quarter panels, bottom of doors and rockers as well

Last edited by Post70; April 24th, 2024 at 07:15 AM.