General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Package trays

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Package trays

Josh wants to replace the package tray on his 66 F85 - it's all warped. Outside of buying a new one (does anyone even make them?-I have not looked) what kind of fiberboard/material should we use? I looked at the hobby store but found nothing there? Maybe some really thin plywood? We have the fabric - just not the board.

Any ideas? We prefer to make our own - assuming we can make one that will look decent - bad assumption?
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:59 AM

I have never made one but I would guess you would find it easier to straighten the origional that try to cut one out of plywood.

How bad is it?
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Honestly, they're so cheap I'm not sure it's worth the time and effort finding the materials and cutting it. You could try heavy card stock, but any that I've seen will actually break in half if hit hard enough.
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM

I replaced the package tray in my 64 98 with general purpose carpet. I took the old one out and used it as a pattern. All I did was cut the carpet into the general shape and cut out holes for the speakers. It is the only part of my interior that looks halfway decent.
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM

I was thinking REALLY thin plywood - something flexible - do they make such a thing?

Anyway, Jamesbo -I tend to agree but Josh wanted to try it -so what the heck? We can buy one if it doesn't work.

Olds64 - you must have something under the carpet - did you just put it over the old tray?

In the end we may buy one. Where is a good place to get one?
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM
'69 H/O

www.legendaryautointeriors.com makes OEM reproductions in different interior colors along with other soft trim interior needs.

Terry
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the link 93Code.
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM

you must have something under the carpet
Nope. I don't have anything under the carpet. Just the metal of the package tray.
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Colorado Olds
Josh wants to replace the package tray on his 66 F85 - it's all warped. Outside of buying a new one (does anyone even make them?-I have not looked) what kind of fiberboard/material should we use? I looked at the hobby store but found nothing there? Maybe some really thin plywood? We have the fabric - just not the board.

Any ideas? We prefer to make our own - assuming we can make one that will look decent - bad assumption?
Check out 1/8" or 3/16" tempered Masonite and see if it looks like it will work, around 10 bucks a 4x8 sheet at the local home improvement big box stores or the lumberyard. Any jigsaw will work for cutting it if it has curves and most places can rough cut it to size for you if needed. Keep that good factory edge of the sheet in the front if it's straight across on the car. Masonite is much more stable than plywood, most pegboard is tempered masonite, signs, etc.. Untempered is more flexible, lighter, and easier to work with but is less stable and can be hard to find, lumberyards have it sometimes, artists use it a lot for paintings.

Allan

Last edited by Bluevista; November 25th, 2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old November 26th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Colorado Olds
I was thinking REALLY thin plywood - something flexible - do they make such a thing?
Yes, it is called Luan. I may have misspelled it. It is really thin and used to make cheap wood look nicer as usually this stuff is high quality wood with nice grain and appearance. Don't know if they make it out of cheap stuff too though, I am not a carpenter/cabinet maker.
Old November 26th, 2008, 04:55 AM

Luaun
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Registered

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Yes, it is called Luan. I may have misspelled it. It is really thin and used to make cheap wood look nicer as usually this stuff is high quality wood with nice grain and appearance. Don't know if they make it out of cheap stuff too though, I am not a carpenter/cabinet maker.
Luaun or Phillipine Mahogany is what most plywood you find under a quarter of an inch is and should work fine. It is a cheap fast growing wood, not a true mahogany veneer which is completely different and very scarce anymore..
The Masonite is a compressed wood fiber hardboard (not press or flake board) and it is way more stable is the reason I recommended it. I'm old school and tend to build things to last forever so it may be overkill.
Luaun will swell and warp like any wood depending on the humidity, leave a little room for expansion.

I use it mostly for floor underlayment and where SPF plywood is cost prohibitive or unnecessary.
It is used for doors and paneling make sure you use a sealer if it's going to be stained because it has such an open grain and can tend to get blotchy.

BTW I'm a carpenter, going on 30 years officially now, and 8 years learning before I was good enough to be called one, still learning.

Last edited by Bluevista; November 26th, 2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Past Administrator

Thanks for that clarification on the luaun. I guess it really isn't higher quality stuff then. It looks like the hardboard would be a better bet then.
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM
car nut farmer

Try your local upholstry shop. Many carry the thick cardboard used in door panels. That's what I used and covered it in matching vinyl.