General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Overhaulin' a '72 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:31 PM

Overhaulin' a '72 Cutlass

Just wondering who saw today's episode of Overhaulin? They took a perfectly good '72 Cutlass convertible and 'pimped' it with the usual big rims, big stereo and generic chevy small block. What a waste of time, money and a perfectly good Cutlass survivor. I usually like Chip Foose's work, but he should have just left this one alone. (thanks, I feel much better now)
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Yeah I saw it. I own a 1972 Cutlass and I was pretty disappointed by it. I liked how they kept the interior looking pretty stock, but I thought the rest was way over done. But hey, if Chip Foose did that to mine for free, I sure as hell wouldn't complain!
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:38 AM

Do not post pictures - I would rather not see it...
Hopefully the damage is reversible by the next owner.
Did Foose dynamat it like he claims to do to every vehicle?
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by silverriff
But hey, if Chip Foose did that to mine for free, I sure as hell wouldn't complain!
Bingo!

hell, i didn't know that show was even on anymore. haven't seen it in quite some.
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by silverriff
But hey, if Chip Foose did that to mine for free, I sure as hell wouldn't complain!
It's funny you say that. When the Overhaulin show first started, I told my mom and a few friends that if the opportunity ever arose for them to do such a thing with my car and they went through with it, I'd kill them.

With that said (Curb joke), I do like watching the show. Just isn't my taste at all. So are there new episodes on or was this a re-run?
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:05 PM

I don't doubt this guy's Cutlass is now worth big bucks having received the Chip Foose treatment. What got me going was the video of the car before they started. It was a clean, original '72 Cutlass Convertible that had been in the family for years and not their usual beater. They even pulled the original Rocket 350 (with an original air cleaner) to drop in a small block chevy. I'm willing to bet more people will appreciate this car restored to it's original form than what they did to it.
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 68Tom
It's funny you say that. When the Overhaulin show first started, I told my mom and a few friends that if the opportunity ever arose for them to do such a thing with my car and they went through with it, I'd kill them.

With that said (Curb joke), I do like watching the show. Just isn't my taste at all. So are there new episodes on or was this a re-run?
That's exactly what I told my wife, I said one of those shows may do a good job but chances are I still wouldn't like the end product and more than likely they would ruin it. Let me spend my hard earned money and pay someone else way too much but at least I get the car close to what I want instead of someone else's nightmare
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:30 PM

It seems these shows are designed to appeal to the younger crowds with the big wheels, and stereos. To me it's a cryin' shame what they do to these cars. I think a car like that should be done back to original. I am having my car restored now, and some friends are telling me to go with the new wild colors, and the 17" wheels. I want it done to look how it did when it was new! That way the look is timeless...
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM
GM Enthusiast

I understand what you guys are all saying, as I am a bit of a purist as well. I certainly like tastefully done restomods (like Richard's 66), but I really hate the monster stereo, 24" rims on cars like this. I know to each his own but it looks totally stupid, even to someone as young as me!
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:43 AM

The trunk was converted into a speaker housing large enough to rattle all the bondo off the car.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:35 AM
car nut farmer

No accounting for taste and some peoples desire to go deaf.