General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The other ---mobile

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2021, 02:07 PM

The other ---mobile

Many years ago I sat in a dealer waiting room waiting for warranty service on my vehicle, I picked up a nice coffee table book about the golden age of Detroit and remember reading about Hupmobiles , I remember reading about their humble beginnings and how some of the early investors were ex Oldsmobile guys!! I never forgot that they made some beautiful automobiles.
One of my dreams that I still have not realized is to own a fat full fender vehicle !! I also like rare cars but most are out of my $$ range, now I know that rare does not always translate to valuable I think that's the case with Hupmobiles, chances are unless your at a national event your not going to run in to another one at the local car show ! but when they come up for sale they seem to be reasonable considering the rarity.
There is now one available here locally at a consignment dealer, I think he's overpriced especially since the vehicle was on Bring A Trailer
back in 2019 and didn't sell ( didn't meet reserve ) and per the chassis # it is the same vehicle.
It's still a dream that wont get realized unless I win the lottery !! am I the only one that thinks it would be cool to own a Hupmobile ?
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-window-coupe/

Old May 3rd, 2021, 02:18 PM
Administrator

I think all the car companies had some really nice cars through the early 40's. Back when cars were an extravagance and had real class no matter what the price range.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 02:39 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Solly that is a gorgeous car. Looks a lot like a 34 Ford. What is there not to like about it.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Solly that is a gorgeous car. Looks a lot like a 34 Ford. What is there not to like about it.
Exactly. Beautiful car. Compared to the price of an Olds A body that was an absolute steal.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 02:44 PM
Banned

$25,000 ENDED
SEE RESULT

BaT Essentials

• Lot #19257
  • Seller: emark
  • Chassis: 7947
  • 9k Miles Shown, TMU
  • 224ci Straight-Six
  • 3-Speed Manual Transmission
  • Body by Murray
  • 3-Window Rumble Seat Coupe
  • Yellow and Black over Beige
  • Refurbished in 1970s and 1980s
  • Private Party or Dealer: Dealer
  • Additional Charges From This Dealer: USD $0 Document Fee
  • Category: American

This 1934 Hupmobile Series 417-W is reportedly one of six surviving three-window coupes and is said to have resided in the Midwest for many years. It was refurbished in the 1970s and 1980s and is now finished in yellow and black over a beige fabric interior. The car is powered by a 224ci inline-six paired with a three-speed manual transmission, and equipment includes suicide doors, a rumble seat, a heater, and a covered spare tire. This Hupmobile was purchased by the selling dealer in 2017 and is now offered with factory literature and a
Old May 3rd, 2021, 02:45 PM
Banned

This 1934 Hupmobile Series 417-W is reportedly one of six surviving three-window coupes and is said to have resided in the Midwest for many years. It was refurbished in the 1970s and 1980s and is now finished in yellow and black over a beige fabric interior. The car is powered by a 224ci inline-six paired with a three-speed manual transmission, and equipment includes suicide doors, a rumble seat, a heater, and a covered spare tire. This Hupmobile was purchased by the selling dealer in 2017 and is now offered with factory literature and a clean California title.

Based on the Ford three-window coupe, the Murray-built Series 417-W body rides on a 117″ wheelbase and features Hupmobile-specific design tweaks to differentiate it from its Ford counterpart. This example was refurbished in the 1970s and 1980s and is now finished in yellow with brown accents as well as black running boards and fenders. Equipment includes Flex Beam headlights, a chrome waterfall grille, and chrome bumpers.

Yellow-painted wire wheels feature a brown pinstripe and wear chrome Hupmobile hubcaps and whitewall tires. A covered spare is equipped at the rear.

Suicide doors reveal beige cloth upholstery with a matching headliner and door panels. Brown carpeting is also equipped along with an under-the-dash heater and a rear window shade. The rumble seat out back is trimmed in tan vinyl.

Instrumentation behind the three-spoke steering wheel consists of a 100-mph speedometer and gauges for fuel level, amperage, water temperature, and oil pressure. The five-digit odometer shows 9k miles, approximately 230 of which were added by the selling dealer. True mileage is unknown.

The 224ci straight-six was rated at 80 horsepower when new and was reportedly rebuilt during the refurbishment. Power is sent to the rear wheels via a floor-shifted three-speed manual transmission that received new seals in the 1980s. An oil change and a chassis lube were performed in February 2019.

Additional underside photos are presented in the gallery below.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 03:31 PM

From what I can tell the 1934 Hupmobiles were almost clones of the 1934 Ford with some Hupmobile tweaks, and of course Hupmobile power.
am I correct that it did not meet the reserve at 25 K ?? in 2019.
here is the current seller in Mesa AZ. the chassis # 7947 is the same as the B.A.T offering, Wish I was a wealthier man !!!!! !!!https://www.streetsideclassics.com/v...upmobile-coupe
Old May 3rd, 2021, 03:48 PM
Oldsdruid

Hupps are popular in AACA so there's support. I'm told a great-uncle had a 1935, but he had switched to Oldsmobiles by the time I was old enough to know anything.
Old May 3rd, 2021, 10:43 PM

So this is interesting , This car didn't sell on Bring A Trailer 2019 reserve not met, however further research shows it did sell at Barrett -Jackson in Jan. of 2020 here in Scottsdale for $27,500, Now it resides at Street side Classics Mesa Az ( a consignment place) with a asking price of $41,000 , somebody looking for the big score, sure is pretty though it's a car that would draw attention.

Last edited by solly; May 3rd, 2021 at 10:46 PM.
Old May 4th, 2021, 06:34 AM

Definitely a beautiful car!
Old May 4th, 2021, 02:47 PM
Oldsdruid

You can count on that seller to price things about 30% over what it should sell for.

Mopar friend and I went to the Charlotte showroom so he could look at a Ford GT they had. Do you know they charged us $10 admission just to enter the place? even though he had set up a viewing appointment earlier?

Atlanta showroom had a 67 Thunderbird I was interested in. I couldn't find time to go to Atlanta so I asked if they would move it to Charlotte, which I could have worked out. They told me $2500 to move it 250 miles.

That's when I realised their name was perfect, since other "businesses" who work "streetside" also charge for every little thing. Hey, paying to get screwed ain't my thing...

BTW, Alan tested the GT and after close inspection told them the car didn't meet his standards.

Last edited by rocketraider; May 4th, 2021 at 02:50 PM.