General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Original GM Frigidaire AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2016, 08:00 AM

Original GM Frigidaire AC Compressor

Can this compressor be run with R-134? Says R-12. I know the valve ?? (can't think of the name) would need to be recalibrated for R-134. Would like to keep it if its not broke.
Old March 15th, 2016, 09:14 AM

This compressor can definitely run on R-134, it has been doing so in my Starfire for the last 4 years and I'm sure many other cars as well. Others will weigh in here but I think the minimum you have to change is the charge valves and oil plus flush and evacuate the system.
Old March 15th, 2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Don R.
This compressor can definitely run on R-134, it has been doing so in my Starfire for the last 4 years and I'm sure many other cars as well. Others will weigh in here but I think the minimum you have to change is the charge valves and oil plus flush and evacuate the system.
How is the oil changed???? what type?.....How do you evacuate the system?

Life just has too many questions doesn't it?
Old March 15th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by AJFink
Life just has too many questions doesn't it?
Many of which can be answered by reading the Chassis Service Manual.
Old March 15th, 2016, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Many of which can be answered by reading the Chassis Service Manual.

I do so enjoy the CSM.

Especially on page 1A-15 in regards to the a/c compressor shaft seal replacement when the 1st step is
"1. Discharge the system by releasing the refrigerant into the atmosphere."

Somehow I think that would be frowned upon nowadays (Not that most of us of a certain age haven't done that before).
Old March 15th, 2016, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
I do so enjoy the CSM.

Especially on page 1A-15 in regards to the a/c compressor shaft seal replacement when the 1st step is

Somehow I think that would be frowned upon nowadays (Not that most of us of a certain age haven't done that before).
I do have the manual, in fact I bought them all! Somebody has already released the gas. I have everything off the car and in boxes. I'm doing an inventory for what parts new to be bought. My AC system was complete thank god!
Old March 15th, 2016, 10:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by chip-powell
I do so enjoy the CSM.

If the R12 were still in the system, one wouldn't need to convert to R134 anyway. And if you really did want to get rid of the R12, I suspect most shops would gladly suction it out for you, given what it's worth.
Old March 15th, 2016, 03:40 PM

You got that right.
Old March 16th, 2016, 10:39 AM

I do have the manual, in fact I bought them all! Somebody has already released the gas. I have everything off the car and in boxes. I'm doing an inventory for what parts new to be bought. My AC system was complete thank god!

If the system is all disassembled you should replace all rubber lines and O-rings. Check all the major components for leaks and consider rebuilding the compressor. With an open system no telling what is inside...
Old March 16th, 2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Don R.
If the system is all disassembled you should replace all rubber lines and O-rings. Check all the major components for leaks and consider rebuilding the compressor. With an open system no telling what is inside...
I disassembled the system (Just unhooking everything). At one of the fittings Low pressure side the aluminum line to fitting was cracked and thus all refrigerant got away. There was some oil in the lines very little. I have not taken the compressor apart/taking the high and low pressure lines off yet. Would like to leave well enough alone, (not broke don't fix) but if rebuilding the compressor is easy enough to do I'll do it. I was going to replace the high and low pressure lines, drier, and have the POA adjusted to accept R-134, Clean the evaporator.
Old March 16th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

I disassembled the system (Just unhooking everything). At one of the fittings Low pressure side the aluminum line to fitting was cracked and thus all refrigerant got away. There was some oil in the lines very little. I have not taken the compressor apart/taking the high and low pressure lines off yet. Would like to leave well enough alone, (not broke don't fix) but if rebuilding the compressor is easy enough to do I'll do it. I was going to replace the high and low pressure lines, drier, and have the POA adjusted to accept R-134, Clean the evaporator.
Unless you care about maintaining the original POA system, I'd suggest one of the conversion kits to change to a CCOT system.

Old March 16th, 2016, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unless you care about maintaining the original POA system, I'd suggest one of the conversion kits to change to a CCOT system.

Okay I'm listening?..........How much and how hard is it to do?

This is going to be a part time driver/cruise night car and I just want to be cool on those hot summer nights. Yes I know R-12 is colder, But $$$$$ to keep up with.
Old March 16th, 2016, 05:06 PM

Yes I know R-12 is colder, But $$$$$ to keep up with.
$25 a can on the evil auction site, so 3 cans = $75. Not what I could classify as $$$$$.