General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Opinions Please- not about an Olds

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:18 AM

Opinions Please- not about an Olds

I have a 1996 2500 Suburban that I use strictly for towing - my travel trailer or utility trailer- (If we go on a family trip without the trailer we take our minivan) The Transmission has recently started slipping (discovered it when towing my utility trailer with a mild load)

I have narrowed my options down to 3 choices and looking to see what you would do in my position..
1-
Recently I have discovered that the transmission is starting to slip and will not be up to a trip to yellowsone I have planned for this summer.
I have checked around and found a suitable rebuilt for replacement that will cost me $830 (provided I do the R&R) and some good used tires for $300 (my current tires are to the point the won't pass the annual safety inspection and need replace)

2- Borrow the money to fix the transmission - and keep Yellowstone Budget still in tact

3 - Borrow the money and replace the Suburban with one that has a bigger engine ( I know not what most people do when gas prices go up)

I have owned the Suburban for 5 years..
it's current needs are:
Tires
Transmission Rebuilt
4x4 system diagnosed /fixed as it only works sometimes
I bought it with the 5.7 - Started kicking myself the first time I towed my travel trailer (1987 year weighing in approx 7K lbs) wishing I had gotten the 7.4

is the loan in the budget.. ya it can be if I make it.. but I really didn't want to take out a loan to replace a vehicle at this point..

I am taking opinions..
1 2 or 3.. what would you do..
or if something different I am open to ideas..
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Hmmmm, tuff one. If all that is wrong is the trans, and it pulls the trailer with no problems, and the rest of the vehicle is in good shape, I would fix the trans. You won't be able to replace the vehicle for what the trans and tires cost.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:32 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Talking

How many miles? Sounds like it is getting to the point where it might start nickle and diming you to death. Also sounds like you don't use it much. It would suck if it blew up halfway to yellowstone. Me I would start looking around, I willing to bet if you took your time someone would make you a deal on one with $4.00+ gas.
My .02

Larry

The other thing you could do is sell both the trailer and the suburban and maybe look for a moterhome for your camping. Maybe one with an olds 455 . That maybe the way to go if all you do is use it to pull your trailer.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:41 AM

I bought a '94 'Burban in Feb. needing a trans, for $1000!
108k, new engine @ 98K and it looks new. From a body shop manager!
Pointing out - if they need something, they aren't worth much!
R+r on a 4wd isn't easy - they weight a ton!

I'd fix what you got - at least you know the truck, rather than get into something that might have more problems!
I've heard the 4L80E can be a direct bolt in - 30% more towing capacity than the 4L60E, that you have!
Have a shift kit installed for longevity!!
For the difference in dollars, would be well worth it, and I believe came behind the 7.4 as standard.
With the tires, and letting the trans shop do the install and 4x4 diagnostics, you're looking at $4000 max - another truck that you don't know, will cost a bunch more, plus whatever goes wrong in the near future!!
Just my opinion!!

Last edited by Rickman48; March 26th, 2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:01 AM

The trans is starting to slip.. when accellerating the rpms start to wrap up and my speed starts to slow down. and it only happens when towing.
it has 155K on it..
The 4x4 doesn't work very well
it is under powered.. I wanted a 7.4 when I bought my 5.7..
I am NOT interested in the Motorhome
Mine has the 4l60 and from what I understand they only put the 4l60 behind the 5.7
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Always room for one more

I'm thinking look around for another Burb with a bigblock. Being in Utah you probably need 4WD. I've always told people to not tow with a 4WD, but sometimes you just gotta do....

It's true repairs to your truck should be less than a new(er) ride, but also at 155K it will be time for other things, AC not working, windows and other electrical things starting to not work, etc.

People will start dumping their SUVs again since gas is going up. If you look around a little you should be able to find a newer Burb with what you want for a decent price.

A decent shop will cost you about 1500 to rebuild the 4L60. Do something before it breaks completely and you're stuck somewhere. Ask me why I know.

Good luck, Jeff.

Mike
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:22 AM

Check with the trans shop - they were a HD option on later 5.7's!
Don't know about your current 4wd - eliminate it??
You're probably due for a timing chain - reprogram the computer for power and mileage, too! I'm gonna!
If you really want the 7.4 - there's a few on C/L!
Good luck!
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:32 AM

The ones I find with the 7.4 are in need of lots of work and not what I want to deal with.

I have found a 2003 Burb with the 8.1 and after trade in on my burb. ( I know not the best thing to do) I can get it for about 6K.. it beats trying to sell it in it's current condition.

and I can pay it off in the spring when I get my taxes back this year..

(this year's taxes got me out of debt and I am not liking the idea of going back into.. but sometime you have to)
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Hope it will tow 2 trailers - one for gas!!
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:53 AM

Better check for 'gas guzzler tax' too - I can't even find a EPA estimate other than a 6.0 - 11 + 15!!
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:04 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Better check for 'gas guzzler tax' too - I can't even find a EPA estimate other than a 6.0 - 11 + 15!!
I thought gas guzzler tax was only when purchased new and not used. Also not on commerical trucks over half-ton. That is why the milage is blank on the sticker.

I can understand about not wanting a moterhome just throwing out some other ideas.

Larry
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Always room for one more

If it's used strictly for towing, like Jeff said in the first place, then gas mileage shouldn't matter. A truck isn't an economy vehicle, nor should it be thought of as one when looking. No one is going to be towing their boat or a camping trailer with a Cavalier.

I've heard good things about the 8.1, though I have no first hand experience with one. I myself found I needed a good towing vehicle so I bought a very used 83 Suburban with a 454. It needs plenty and I'm not about to drive it to Yellowstone, but it does what I ask of it and it has made several trips to Florida and a couple to Chicago.

I don't drive it every day because that would bankrupt me. But it's there when I need a heavy truck and I'm glad to have it.

Jeff I think you'll be okay in whatever you do, but only you can decide what has the most value for what you want out of it.

Mike
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Not to make an absurd suggestion, but my tow vehicle is a '90 GMC ¾ ton with a 6.2 (non-electronic) diesel. It's a high-mile, completely beat truck that just keeps going.

The 6.2 won't pull a bum out of bed, as my grandfather would have said, but it'll tow all day long at 70mph on the flats (tends to lose speed on the big hills).

20mpg unloaded, 13mpg towing a heavy trailer.

Not much to look at, and chicks never say they want a ride (heck, hitchhikers look nervous when I pull over), but they're out there, and it's another option.

Best $500 I ever spent.

- Eric
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:59 PM

My true preference is to find a 6.5 in the burban.. but they are all 300K mile units that are across the country wanting top dollar for them..

I have been debating myself for the past week trying to decide what to do.. Still Undecided....
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Geezer

Sounds a bit like being between a rock and a hard spot! Notwithstanding you have never been happy with the 5.7's towing ability if the engine is still running okay I think I'd focus back on the transmission and with that in mind when was the last time it had a fluid change? Could it be it really just needs a fresh filter and fluid to fix its shifting issues? And about the 4 wheel drive, if there are only issues with it it staying engaged is there really anything seriously wrong with it other than perhaps something needing to be adjusted in the linkages?

Finding a decent pickup of any nature at a low price that might not represent worse than you have is almost like hoping it will snow in July in Southern Arizona. One thing is for certain none are going to be real easy on fuel if they are geared right for towing.

As a hint for your situation, I keep updating my 1990 F-150 with a 5.0L EFI engine in it because it is the best towing vehicle I've ever had, including a 1996 E-150 with towing package and a 5.8L roller motor in it. The little 5.0L gets 13-15 mph towing a 1,800 lb trailer with a 5,000 lb car on it. Makes no difference whether flat land or mountains, it's been to both coasts several times towing cars and I've put nearly 300,000 on it with one transmission an axle rebuild and a fresh set of rod bearings after 200,000 miles. After that almost 300,000 miles of seriously hard punishment I am going to drop another 5.0L into it, only this time it will have a roller cam setup to hopefully give it a bit more power and fuel economy.

Good luck and whatever you do don't take off on the trip with a different truck without it having a serious going over to insure you won't be stuck someplace where you don't want to be stuck. It's hell getting a heavy duty wrecker out in the boonies, not to mention expensive, to tow in a pickup and travel trailer to a fix it place.
Old March 26th, 2012, 03:33 PM

I was thinking of a diesel crew-cab pickup, too!
A friend has a '06 Chevy with over 300k, and swears by it's 20mpg and untouched Allison 6-speed!
Old March 26th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Banned

4wd and hauling a trailer

a transmission's worst enemy.
Old March 26th, 2012, 06:44 PM

I know quite a bit about these trucks as I own 2 of them at the moment. I personally would rebuild the transmission. the 7.4 leaves a lot to be desired for being a big block. The 4L60E can be beefed up quite a bit but it does cost quite a bit in parts over your standard rebuild. As for tires I would stay away from used, if your on a budget check out www.treadwright.com. They are retreads and have gotten great reviews from everyone that has bought a set. I plan on getting a set once I finish up the front end work on my "beater". If your truck has push button 4WD your encoder motor might be going out but my guess would be to check the front axle actuator to see if its actually engaging your front end.
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:13 PM

Just throwing out an idea. If you really only need this for one trip how about borrowing a truck from a friend or renting?

I'm trying hard myself to keep finances in check. Good luck whatever you do, but as far as money goes it's always better to spend money that you actually have and not what you plan on having. Thinking that way has never worked out for me, you never know what expenses life will bring you.