General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Online Car buying- seeking suggestions for questions to be asked.

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2014, 09:56 PM
1992 Toronado Trofeo

Online Car buying- seeking suggestions for questions to be asked.

Hey everyone,
Since I am looking for particular models of Oldsmobiles, I have resorted to looking online for these models. I found an 88 Toro that seems to have everything I want- including a decent price. The immediate problem is that the car is 6 hours away. Having said that, I compiled a list of about 20 questions to ask the owner- everything from the power train to the electronics of the car. I want to get as much information before I decide to drive 6 hours to look at it. Here are a couple pics of the car:

What are some questions you would ask if you were going to buy an Olds long distance? Thanks for taking the time to answer...
Old August 15th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tannerblackart
What are some questions you would ask if you were going to buy an Olds long distance? Thanks for taking the time to answer...
Having bought several Oldsmobiles long distance, I'll tell you that you can ask all the questions you want, but you have no idea if the seller is telling the truth or not. Maybe I'm still upset about my 64 Vista, but the seller knew about the pinchweld rust around the back windows (having replaced one of the rear quarter windows) and did not disclose this. He told me there was no rust (translation: no rust VISIBLE, as it was all under the stainless trim). You should be able to pull a Carfax on a 1988, so do that. Get LOTS of photos of specific known problem areas on that car (late model Toros are not my specialty). And expect to find that the car is not as nice as represented.
Old August 15th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Administrator

I agree with Joe, however since it's 6 hours away, have your cash or check with and drive out and see it prepared to buy it if it meets your expectations. You can ask all the questions you want, but there is nothing better than a personal inspection.
Old August 15th, 2014, 07:52 AM
1992 Toronado Trofeo

Joe, you are right about the honesty of the seller. It is hard to believe people nowadays. I sent him a list of about 35 questions- to include questions that came from the Carfax report. While those reports tend to vague at first glance, they include a TON of information if you really look at it. On this one, I found a registration gap of about 5 years. I asked him if it was just sitting during this time, was it stored, or was it left out in the elements. Being that the car is in Michigan, that gap could be a big deal.

Either way, I will get to see what he says. If it is 75% of what he has represented about the car, I should be pretty happy with it.
Old August 15th, 2014, 07:55 AM
1992 Toronado Trofeo

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I agree with Joe, however since it's 6 hours away, have your cash or check with and drive out and see it prepared to buy it if it meets your expectations. You can ask all the questions you want, but there is nothing better than a personal inspection.
Yeah, at the worst case, I take a road trip with the guys while the wife and kids stay home. Woops, did I say that out loud???
Old August 15th, 2014, 08:19 AM

I would also ask him to take video (with audio) and e-mail it to you so that you can get an idea as to how it sounds mechanically.
Old August 15th, 2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Having bought several Oldsmobiles long distance, I'll tell you that you can ask all the questions you want, but you have no idea if the seller is telling the truth or not. Maybe I'm still upset about my 64 Vista, but the seller knew about the pinchweld rust around the back windows (having replaced one of the rear quarter windows) and did not disclose this. He told me there was no rust (translation: no rust VISIBLE, as it was all under the stainless trim). You should be able to pull a Carfax on a 1988, so do that. Get LOTS of photos of specific known problem areas on that car (late model Toros are not my specialty). And expect to find that the car is not as nice as represented.
I have purchased many cars long distance also and it was very rare that I got the true answers I was looking for. If you are going in person bring cash not a check so you can renegotiate with cash in hand if there are problems that were not disclosed. My 67 I just purchased was 4 hours away, I talked to him via phone twice with numerous emails and I ended up paying 1,000 less then agreed price because of issues seller did not disclose honestly.
Old August 15th, 2014, 09:58 AM
72 Olds CS

But don't tell the seller your bringing cash...I don't like to advertise that to strangers you never know who your dealing w.

Here's another thread w good info on the same subject

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ar-unseen.html
Old August 15th, 2014, 10:15 AM

One other thing that may help....Sometimes members of the board my live nearby. Perhaps an appeal for a member to go and look may provide a critical eye. I would say there may need to be an understanding between you and your "proxy" before the inspection also.

Just another possibility to consider.
Old August 15th, 2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by tannerblackart
I sent him a list of about 35 questions
I'm sorry, but if I was selling a car and somebody sent me a list of 35 questions to answer, I'd laugh in his face while I was tearing it up. This isn't a homework assignment. You have that many questions, just come out and see the damn car already!
Old August 15th, 2014, 08:38 PM
1992 Toronado Trofeo

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I'm sorry, but if I was selling a car and somebody sent me a list of 35 questions to answer, I'd laugh in his face while I was tearing it up. This isn't a homework assignment. You have that many questions, just come out and see the damn car already!
Thats an easy thing to do if the vehicle is close- 2 hours or less. 6 hours away with work and familial obligations to a wife & two small children- well that's a different story to just take a quick drive to look without having any information to go on.

Either way, most of the questions have been answered. Now its a question of whether or not I want an 88 Toro with a rebuilt 3800 that has 2500 miles on it paired to a transmission with over 200k on it. I am going to take the weekend before I decide...