General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Olds 455 Harmonic Balancer Swap

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:10 AM

Olds 455 Harmonic Balancer Swap

Hey guys, over the weekend I went for a Saturday cruise and everything went smooth till about a mile back to the house. I started hearing a clanking sound which turned out to be my harmonic balancer coming apart. The rubber ring shot out. If I'm correct the engine is external balance. My question is do I have to change the weights on the balancer or will the be the same. I will most likely by a stock replacement balancer to go on the motor. Any thought on this question. Thanks.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by jdclemons
Hey guys, over the weekend I went for a Saturday cruise and everything went smooth till about a mile back to the house. I started hearing a clanking sound which turned out to be my harmonic balancer coming apart. The rubber ring shot out. If I'm correct the engine is external balance. My question is do I have to change the weights on the balancer or will the be the same. I will most likely by a stock replacement balancer to go on the motor. Any thought on this question. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure a stock replacement balancer will be all you need to worry about.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jdclemons
Assuming your engine was not custom balanced during a rebuild, any 455 balancer will work. For that matter, any 68-76 BBO balancer will work. Most 350 balancers will also work.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 07:20 AM

I bought the car as is. With that sad I think the motor isn't a custom build. Thanks for the info. Now I can just call summit racing and have them ship me one. They are cheaper than the auto store on most stock replacement parts. Thanks again guys.

Last edited by jdclemons; September 22nd, 2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:52 AM
Old School Olds

JD, I have this used one that
is in good shape. The rubber
looks pretty good. From a 70 455
I parted a few weeks ago.
PM me if interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0038.jpg (101.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_0039.jpg (99.2 KB, 20 views)