General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Inst. Panel Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2014, 02:59 PM

Inst. Panel Bulbs

Just purchased a nice 69 cutlass 2dr, and I need to replace the light bulbs for the speedo,guage area,, any advice which way to tackle this job, thanks Bob.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by super stock
Just purchased a nice 69 cutlass 2dr, and I need to replace the light bulbs for the speedo,guage area,, any advice which way to tackle this job, thanks Bob.
The bulbs are in small 'twist in' sockets in the back of the gauge circuit board. Reach your hand up behind the dash and turn the socket about 1/4 turn and it will come out the back. Replace the bulb and put the socket it back in. It won't go in wrong, and you won't get shocked doing it. Rinse and repeat as often as necessary to get them all working.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 03:28 PM

bulbs

Thanks Randy ,I did get a couple that way ,from the bottom.some are in tight area where you cant get your hand or fingers in.. was wondering if the dash pad could be removed or the guage pods could come out.. would like to replace all of them at one time...
Old September 22nd, 2014, 03:45 PM
Randy C.

It's a major undertaking to remove the dash just to replace those bulbs. If your hands are too big, see if someone with smaller hands can do it. I've been able to do mine but I know my mechanic friend couldn't possibly get his hands up there. It's a pretty tight space but someone with smaller hands can do it quite easily.

Randy C.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by super stock
Thanks Randy ,I did get a couple that way ,from the bottom.some are in tight area where you cant get your hand or fingers in.. was wondering if the dash pad could be removed or the guage pods could come out.. would like to replace all of them at one time...
Unfortunately, the engineers did not design the dashes for easy removal. Real PITA. It is a tight squeeze for man size hands. Ladies or kids fingers will usually fit.
Old September 22nd, 2014, 05:37 PM

ok, thanks guys, back at it tomorrow,,def a PITA........
Old September 22nd, 2014, 05:55 PM

Location: from Wisc, then Texas, then Kansas, now back to Texas,
removing the dash top is the very VERY last thing you want to do. I tried to get mine out, during the restoration, never did get the 2 end screws out !!
Old September 22nd, 2014, 06:32 PM

Easiest way is to remove the front seat, then you can lay on your back and reach up there better. Really, that's the easiest way and you will save time in the long run.