General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Older dated title registration...

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2019, 07:36 PM

Older dated title registration...

Anyone have experience with transferring a title in Illinois that was signed AND DATED as sold several years back? If so, How did that go? Penalties? Lost cause?
Old October 15th, 2019, 07:41 PM
Running On Empty

Tell 'em you've been looking for it for years and you just found it in the attic stuck in an old Encyclopedia Britannica book.
Old October 15th, 2019, 08:44 PM
72 Olds CS

i know in mass they penalize you monetarily for not getting a new title in 7 days
Old October 15th, 2019, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
i know in mass they penalize you monetarily for not getting a new title in 7 days
It appears to be exactly the same in Illinois. I couldn't find a mention of what the penalty is if it's longer than 7 days.

https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/d...tion/pert.html

Here in New Mexico, there is also a penalty, but I don't remember the specifics. When I bought a '78 Toronado out of state and brought it here, it sat in my garage for about a month (I had to get it running) before I took it over to the DMV to get the new title, and they penalized me for the lateness. I told them it didn't run, so how I could I get it here for them to do their VIN inspection and all, and the guy said that there is way to do it which I think involved making an appointment and having someone from the office come out to my house. Live and learn!

In the OP's case, give the Illinois DMV a call or stop in to the nearest office and ask. Let us know what they say.
Old October 16th, 2019, 02:26 AM
Frank Ignachuck

How about applying for a duplicate title, saying that the original was lost? Then you can fill in a current date and avoid the tax penalties? You have all the information needed.
Old October 16th, 2019, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by ignachuck
How about applying for a duplicate title, saying that the original was lost? Then you can fill in a current date and avoid the tax penalties? You have all the information needed.

If he has a signed and dated title, his name is not in it. He would have to go through the previous owner to get the duplicate, and that's not generally feasible.

I actually had this happen to me, but with a lost title. I sold my 1970 442 is 1998 and the guy tracked me down 8 years later because he never transferred it to his name and was trying to sell the car. He had lost the title and I had to get the replacement so that he could sell it. I ended up buying it back from him.

Last edited by svnt442; October 16th, 2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old October 16th, 2019, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
In addition to paying all the back yearly excise tax which is calculated on the restored value of the car
Old October 16th, 2019, 02:38 PM
Frank Ignachuck

[QUOTE=svnt442;1203630]If he has a signed and dated title, his name is not in it. He would have to go through the previous owner to get the duplicate, and that's not generally feasible.

I'm guessing you've never worked in a car dealership and sold cars for a living.

PM me and I'll explain how to get a duplicate/replacement title, as long as you have an original title with the seller's signature.