General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ok, need help....

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2014 | 06:16 PM

Ok, need help....

As everybody knows, I'm recovering from back surgery and reading stuff on Oxycodone is scrambling my brain. I see several people have the same problem I have. Starts fine, but rolling into second you hear the vavle rattle, shutting it off it diesel's.

I went over the timing 100 times 5btdc. I did find the fire order off, needed to swap 3&5. It helped a little but not much. The kid gave me an elaborate wriiten notes on why he thought it was the carb. The carb was leaking profusely, but a wrench and screwdriver took care of that. I've seen several threads on this here, but doesn't seem anybody had luck getting it straight.

This is a 62 394 with the above issues. Should i just throw an H.E.I. in it and start from scratch???
Old November 15th, 2014 | 06:20 PM

You can convert to electronic fired coil perhaps but "an HEI" ain't going into a 394
Pretty sure.

Dieseling sounds like timing
Is your vacuum advance connected to ported or manifold vacuum?
Old November 15th, 2014 | 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
You can convert to electronic fired coil perhaps but "an HEI" ain't going into a 394
Pretty sure.

Dieseling sounds like timing
Is your vacuum advance connected to ported or manifold vacuum?
Right now, I can't bend over. Next time my friends is over I'll check.....
Old November 15th, 2014 | 06:40 PM
Administrator

If your idle is too high it will run on.
Old November 16th, 2014 | 05:46 AM

Check to see if advance springs are sticking. You should be able to move rotor in one direction and it should snap back when released. Sometimes crud and rust builds up under weights.
Old November 16th, 2014 | 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If your idle is too high it will run on.
which was my point in checking the vacuum advance setup.

With VA connected to manifold, it creates a nice idle with advanced timing WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING, then retards the timing when the engine is not running, which helps avert dieseling and kickback starting problems.

With the VA connected to manifold vacuum, the improved vacuum signal allows the carb throttle plate to be closed more and still idle.

It appears that the whole ported vacuum to the VA thing started with the early smog reduction efforts around 1968.

Bottom line- if it works better with manifold VA.... do that
Old November 16th, 2014 | 07:29 AM

Check idle speed if that is correct adjust the idle mixture screws to richen if that doesn't work up grade your gasoline to higher octane, with the timing correct and the right fuel should solve all your problems, Good luck
Old November 16th, 2014 | 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by toymobile
Check idle speed if that is correct adjust the idle mixture screws to richen if that doesn't work up grade your gasoline to higher octane, with the timing correct and the right fuel should solve all your problems, Good luck
Well as usual, you guys are on to something. A tank of PREMIUM gas just took care of about 90% of the issues. I also notice the idle seems a little high. I still have a little mid range rattle (that I can surpass by giving it more gas), so I'll check vaccum and carb. settings......
Old November 16th, 2014 | 02:15 PM

Run On

X2 octania on the idle speed v. running on.

The '68 changes to emissions introduced the "anti-diesel solenoid" which held the idle speed high until the engine was turned off. With the engine off, the throttle blades were completely closed so the engine couldn't run (no air).
Old November 16th, 2014 | 05:23 PM

Was the anti-diesel solenoid used on AC and non-AC?
Old November 16th, 2014 | 07:11 PM
Hookers under Hood

[QUOTE=1BLACKHARLEY;763999]As everybody knows, I'm recovering from back surgery and reading stuff on Oxycodone is scrambling my brain.

I can only imagine what you are going thru, I had a neck injury in 2001 and was put on percocet's then switched to the generic Oxycodone's 5/325x 4 per day sometimes 5 and 6 when I ran out and had to ask the DR. for an early script. I kept taking them for almost 10 years just because I thought I needed them and the doctor never said much. I was in pain everytime my brain said I needed a pill. It was a good thing I could still manage my business and do most of the work along with my employees. It was when my wife suggested that I try to get off them that really turned my life around. It was a hard road for about a week even slowly tapering off them, I thank my wife to this day for helping me get thru getting off them I was a trembling/ sweating mess. I wish you all the best with your injury I hope you don't have the similar addiction I had towards them.
Put you time and energy into your Olds I hope that helps you .
Cheers
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; November 16th, 2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old November 16th, 2014 | 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=76olds;764310]
Originally Posted by 1BLACKHARLEY
As everybody knows, I'm recovering from back surgery and reading stuff on Oxycodone is scrambling my brain.

I can only imagine what you are going thru, I had a neck injury in 2001 and was put on percocet's then switched to the generic Oxycodone's 5/325x 4 per day sometimes 5 and 6 when I ran out and had to ask the DR. for an early script. I kept taking them for almost 10 years just because I thought I needed them and the doctor never said much. I was in pain everytime my brain said I needed a pill. It was a good thing I could still manage my business and do most of the work along with my employees. It was when my wife suggested that I try to get off them that really turned my life around. It was a hard road for about a week even slowly tapering off them, I thank my wife to this day for helping me get thru getting off them I was a trembling/ sweating mess. I wish you all the best with your injury I hope you don't have the similar addiction I had towards them.
Put you time and energy into your Olds I hope that helps you .
Cheers
Eric
I'm good, been off them for about 24 hours. Switched to Tylonol and hope it'll be a week, then off those. No stranger to addiction (I have three motorcycles) I actually made it 48 hours after the op, before I finally broke down and took one. To be honest, they didn't do much but scramble my brain, so I put them away. I'll just tough it out....
Old November 16th, 2014 | 08:40 PM
Hookers under Hood

Good to hear you don't need many of them to keep you functioning, They made me sick when I first started taking them, I had to lay down or I would throw up, then I had to take them with food so I wouldn't be so sick. I would get very itchy for the first year I guess mainly my nose for some reason. It is hard on the brain for sure, it slowed my thinking down until I got use to them. They are the worst pill on the market looking back at how they ran my life.
Hope you get your Olds running good soon, these guys are awesome, they helped me out so much with my 76.
Cheers
Eric
Old November 17th, 2014 | 07:26 AM

My 324 was acting much the same and to make a long story short my vacuum advance went bad even though it was rebuilt 6 or 8 years ago. I have a one being rebuilt by Fusick as we speak....Tedd
Old November 17th, 2014 | 07:39 AM

Anti-diesel solenoid

m371961-the anti-diesel solenoid held the throttle slightly open at idle, and was used to set the curb idle speed. This was different from the solenoid that was energized with the A/C to open the throttle just a bit to allow for the added load from the A/C compressor.