General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ok, I'm torn on a decision concerning my 442

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2012, 12:13 AM

Ok, I'm torn on a decision concerning my 442

I'm considering replacing the stock intake and carb on my 68 442. My reasoning is both for the added performance and also cosmetic. My dilema is should I shell out the cash for said replacement parts and take away from originality or just restore the parts to like new condition and still have the original look and performance.

Factors that are for replacing them, would be the metioned increased performance/cosmetic, the car is not completely original anyway (different paint, custom interior, vynyl top has been taken off). Also I have no intentions of ever selling car so I'm not overly concerned how it'll affect resale value.

Factors against replacing them would be Cost, taking away from originality ( I know I said it's not completely original anyway, but I'd still like to retain as much of it as I can).

Im fairly mechanically inclined for the most part so labor would'nt be an issue, but I'm not exactly a gearhead either so I'm not quite sure what would be the best way to go with replacement parts i.e. intake size and carb cfm?

I know I'm being a lil lazy here so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old April 4th, 2012, 03:11 AM

I am thinking of the same thing , I figure if the mods don't permanently alter the car and you keep the original parts it can always be put back to stock . Plus I'd like to have some fun with it , thats why I bought it .Cheers.
Old April 4th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Unless you're planning on showing the car as a totally stock restoration, any reversible bolt-on changes are no big deal in my opinion. Go for it. Now if you're talking about hacking up the wheel wells for bigger tires or other non-reversible changes, that would be a different issue.
Old April 4th, 2012, 07:43 AM
delete

I would consider swapping the intake but getting the stock carb rebuilt. Once you get the QJet set up right there is a lot to like. Some specs on the rest of the driveline would help. FWIW I have a '69 400 in my car with a stock cam. I went from a stock intake to a Performer and had my carb rebuilt and it made a nice difference.
Old April 4th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

I concur with using a Qjet, but keep in mind that the 68 used a divorced choke that can't be easily adapted to an aftermarket intake.