General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

OCA show in Wichita

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2019, 05:29 AM

OCA show in Wichita

Dadgum there is a Oldsmobile event and no advertising of it. Really why? Buddy said he went down to century two and was not even on the events sign. No radio stations. What's the problem? Hope I posted this in the right place!😲
Old June 25th, 2019, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Dadgum there is a Oldsmobile event and no advertising of it. Really why? Buddy said he went down to century two and was not even on the events sign. No radio stations. What's the problem? Hope I posted this in the right place!��
My guess is you haven't been paying much attention. It's not really the kind of thing you advertise on the local radio stations

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...wanted-136068/

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ita-ks-132080/

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...leased-128249/

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...2019-a-126237/

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ations-123462/

And there are another 10-20 threads about people going that are selling parts

Or you could go to the OCA website:

https://www.oldsmobileclub.org/page/2019Nationals
Old June 25th, 2019, 12:11 PM

What i am talking about is the place where it is being held no info.
Yes they would talk about it here on the radio if someone in charge contacted them! I know it was on this forum. I started a thread last year.
Old June 25th, 2019, 03:42 PM
Olds Fever

Lack of Advertising for these type events is not uncommon and I have seen it happen before at other national events... I have been to several Nationals where individuals just stopped in to see what was going on and had no clue about the event itself...
Old June 25th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

An OCA national event is not exactly something that will attract locals who are not already aware of the show. Spectators are not charged anyway, so why spend money on advertising locally? OCA members have known about the show dates and location for over a year now.
Old June 25th, 2019, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
An OCA national event is not exactly something that will attract locals who are not already aware of the show. Spectators are not charged anyway, so why spend money on advertising locally? OCA members have known about the show dates and location for over a year now.
Joe there in that statement is why the interest in this brand is dying! Not willing to spend to let the local public know is beyond me how else should they find out if is a indoor event! They might find out after it is over. LOL
Old June 26th, 2019, 06:27 AM

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I think they've advertised the show portion of the event about as well as most car shows in the area:
  • it's listed in the "CARS Cruzin'19 Calendar of Events" pamphlet available at local auto parts stores (I picked mine up at the West Wichita O'Reilly's a few months ago)
  • it's listed on the KEYN Crusin' Calendar webpage (albeit with some incorrect information...)
Those are the first two places many of the car guys I know go to when looking for local car shows. Plus there's been a fair amount of "word of mouth" coverage at most local car shows. I think someone mentioned it to me (or I mentioned it to anyone who showed an interest in my car) at just about every car show I attended last year. And it was on the Century II marquee during Riverfest, I saw it while gorging myself in the food court (there's a more recent picture of it on the OCA facebook page).

Granted it doesn't get the local media coverage like the Starbird-Devlin/Cars for Charities show or the Riverfest show, but those are large production public events. The OCA Nationals is a mostly private event with a couple of 4-hour stints of public viewing to acknowledge the local community. For right or for wrong, I think the event is geared more toward the membership and conducting club business than public outreach.

Last edited by O's_Car; June 26th, 2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old June 26th, 2019, 04:18 PM

All points well taken. On a side note I met Bob Kelso, John Stoupa hope I spelled these names right .Seen Casy Walkers car,Seen Harlaquins car but did not have a chance to talk to him as I was leaving as he was driving in. Also seen Rallye Bob's car really want to talk to him. Looking forward to seeing and talking to other guys from here and the Oldsmobile community. Have a good evening everyone.😀
Old June 27th, 2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
JWO said that spectators will be charged $5 to enter the building.
Old June 27th, 2019, 07:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Double D Farms
JWO said that spectators will be charged $5 to enter the building.
Really? Wow. I've never been to a Nationals where spectators were charged.
Old June 27th, 2019, 08:46 AM

It does say $5 for entry and only open for spectators Friday 4-8 p.m. and Saturday 9-1 this will be my first nationals I don't really know what to expect just hope theres a lot of "Oldsmobile"
Old June 27th, 2019, 05:10 PM

The registration form does not mention times. It says only this:

PUBLIC ENTRY
Members of the public will be allowed entry into our show for a fee of $5.00 per adult. Children 10 and under are free. We ask that all children be accompanied by an adult. The Oldsmobile Club of America encourages you to engage with the public. This is a fantastic opportunity to educate others about our hobby and the Oldsmobile brand. Vehicles will not be roped off or partitioned. Participants are responsible for looking after their own cars
Old July 1st, 2019, 09:21 AM

and it was worth every penny and every mile driven!
Old July 1st, 2019, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Were there a lot of spectators? It would be a shame to have that many Oldsmobiles in one place and the only people to enjoy them were club members.
Old July 1st, 2019, 09:48 AM

ads

i know it was in Fridays Wichita paper. all news place were contacted and no one replied back. there was no budget for ads. renting building is much of this years budget

Last edited by cfhcar; July 1st, 2019 at 09:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old July 1st, 2019, 01:50 PM
Gearhead

I know the facility cost money to rent, but had I registered my car (I didn't), I would have gladly paid another $5 or $10 to have an indoor event. We did attend and it was sure nice not being out in the 97 degree heat. But charging an admission fee to spectators is counter-productive. All car clubs are shedding members, so bringing in new blood is critical. We should be welcoming them with open arms instead of making them pay a fee to come look.
Old July 1st, 2019, 06:11 PM

Good show

I drove 3 hours from KC on Saturday morning to get there for the last hour of the exhibit of the cars. A great showing of all different models and years. Thanks for all those that participated. Next year I will try to take a day off of work and go during the week.

It did cost $5 to get in the door.