General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

OCA ballot

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I'd subscribe to the magazine without joining, if I could.

Any volunteer organization inevitably reaches a point where those running it forget they are facilitators, and start thinking they are leaders and commanders. I don't know if the OCA is there; it sounds like some people in it are there. To quote a friend of mine, very high up in another Oldsmobile club, "We'd never join the OCA; they're always fighting."

The proof in that is the response that Eric got, which was criticism, as opposed to "I'm sorry you feel that way, perhaps, when times get better, you'll think differently."

I have enough people trying to dump on me from the current state of the government to my employer, to the po-lice. I don't need someone else trying to control me. I view joining an organization as a cost-benefit thing. What will it cost me in time, money, and hassle, and what do I get for it? A good car show, a nice magazine and contacts for things in the hobby is worth money, but not hassle.

Just my thoughts, I belong to no car club, and probably never will.
He got the response he did after the OCA members here got tired of getting beat over the head about the OCA. I could care less if you or anybody else belongs to any car club or organization. That's your prerogative and being an OCA member has benefited me in many ways and the politics of it doesn't faze me in the least. There are some very thin skinned CO members here and they cause as much havoc has any I've seen in the OCA.
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

As the person referred to in the third person above, please allow me to clarify my point

My point, which I believe is important and which appears to be ignored by the bickering members of the OCA, is that their (apparently) petty struggles are having an effect not only on themselves and each other, and not only in the short term "until this is resolved," but are being broadcast to outsiders who are unquestionably being affected by them, to the extent that the viability of their club out past the next five to ten years is now threatened, whether or not they realize it, and that getting these disputes settled, and making it clear to the general public that they have been settled, is their only chance at saving their club from slow extinction.

One would think that this statement would provoke at least an acknowledgement that cleaning up their public image is or should be a priority, and the fact that it does not serves to increase my sense that too much water is already flowing downhill to stop it.

We are all Olds owners and fans who care about the marque, and we should all be concerned at what the demise (either literally or effectively) of its major owners' club might portend.

- Eric
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Very well said Eric. I couldn't agree with you more.
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:57 AM

There are a few taking advantage of the club bylaws to cause havoc. This situation upsets many members who cannot work a fix as long as enough zone directors aka board members are cat's paws for the troublemakers. Now that it is time to vote in new board members, it is only natural that grievance will surface in the hope that members will vote wisely for the two directors of their zone. If those cat's paws get voted out, the club can resume business as usual and focus on being a car club.

If some posters in this thread prefer not to join, vote, and help with the solution, OK. Just don't complain while others try to do so. The club has been very beneficial to some of us and we prefer to help get it back on track.
Old April 8th, 2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Maybe you guys should stick to your Facebook page and do your club politics there, or have a private forum to discuss these matters. You post stuff on public forum you will get our opinions whether you like it or not.

Quote where i said i had an issue with his opinion.

Who made you board censor?
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Lets keep this respectful, I can see it getting out of hand easily. There is no reason to bash each other over opinions.
Old April 9th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Just plain NUTS!

Per Dan Curtis on the OCA Facebook page, the 2nd ballot is not going to happen. You need to send in the ballot that came with your April issue of JWO. Write in candidates where necessary.
Old April 9th, 2014, 07:29 PM

That's excellent! I don't have my April JWO yet.
Old April 9th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Just plain NUTS!

Originally Posted by mrolds69
That's excellent! I don't have my April JWO yet.
I just got mine today so be patient.
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsnut71442
Write in candidates where necessary.
I suggest we write in the names of the ones doing the most complaining.
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:22 AM

I would like to add that Gene Bossaler (yes, the person who did so much to help run the last Nationals) and Ralph Gaines are willing to be south central zone directors. Both are great car guys, and Gene has a very nice race car that was in the show also.

Hope to have a name of a good candidate for Treasurer soon.
Old April 10th, 2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
I would like to add that Gene Bossaler (yes, the person who did so much to help run the last Nationals) and Ralph Gaines are willing to be south central zone directors. Both are great car guys, and Gene has a very nice race car that was in the show also.

Hope to have a name of a good candidate for Treasurer soon.
Thanks for the info Joe..
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Administrator

So my question is, how are the uninformed going to participate in a write in campaign when they don't even know who is available? Seems to me this is an easy way to stack the deck. I don't see this working very well.
Old April 10th, 2014, 12:29 PM

Other Eric: Strange, the same thought occurred to me.
Aron Nance
Old April 10th, 2014, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Other Eric: Strange, the same thought occurred to me.
Aron Nance
Ask Yancy,he has all of the answers.
Old April 10th, 2014, 01:36 PM
1970 442

Wow, and I thought the U.S Congress was screwed up.

I'm glad I never joined. Sorry to sound so harsh, but when you have 8 positions to fill, and no candidates, it's obvious this has become a free for all, where people see the chance to step in get power to begin changing rules to fit their agenda.

Reminds me of the California recall election, where you had everyone from pole strippers to car wash operators on the ballot. It got so ridiculous, Californians mocked the process and elected Arnold Schwarzenegger, who didn't have a clue what he was doing, and was run out of office with a dismal approval rating.

But at least he was someone famous, maybe that's what the OCA needs, so I nominate Kanye West.
Old April 10th, 2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by WhatIf
Reminds me of the California recall election, where you had everyone from pole strippers to car wash operators on the ballot. It got so ridiculous, Californians mocked the process and elected Arnold Schwarzenegger, who didn't have a clue what he was doing, and was run out of office with a dismal approval rating.
What planet are you living on? Yes, Schwarzenegger was first elected in a recall election in 2003 where California got rid of Gray Davis, but if Arnold had such a "dismal" approval rating, why did they reelect him for a second term in 2006 by a margin of 56% to 39%?

He served as governor in total from October 2003 to January 2011, or a little over seven years. That's hardly "running him out of office." He couldn't have run for reelection in 2010 because of term limits. If anyone was run out of office, it was Gray Davis, who was successfully recalled and didn't complete his second term.

Last edited by jaunty75; April 10th, 2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
So my question is, how are the uninformed going to participate in a write in campaign when they don't even know who is available?
This is irrelevant. When using the write-in process, everyone is available. Write your own name in if you want. Write in the dog-catcher if he's an OCA member.
Old April 10th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Oldsdruid

I've already decided I'm casting a vote of no confidence in everyone except Karl Sup. That includes the two ASE Zone director candidates from Dixie Chapter.
Old April 10th, 2014, 02:15 PM
1970 442

Originally Posted by jaunty75
What planet are you living on? Yes, Schwarzenegger was first elected in a recall election in 2003 where California got rid of Gray Davis, but if Arnold had such a "dismal" approval rating, why did they reelect him for a second term in 2006 by a margin of 56% to 39%?

He served as governor in total from October 2003 to January 2011, or a little over seven years. That's hardly "running him out of office." He couldn't have run for reelection in 2010 because of term limits. If anyone was run out of office, it was Gray Davis, who was successfully recalled and didn't complete his second term.
I'm on Earth, thank you very much.

Straight from Wikipedia:

Although he (Schwarzenegger) began his tenure as governor with record high approval ratings (as high as 89% in December 2003), he left office with a record low 23%, only one percent higher than that of Gray Davis's when he was recalled in October 2003.

Back to OCA, didn't mean for this to turn into a political discussion.

As for write-in's, this reminds me of all the local car shows, where participants stuff the ballot box for their own car, or get their friends, who aren't there with a car themselves, to vote for them on the "buddy" plan. That's how you get half-assed restored bright red 69 Camaros winning over a correctly restored 70 442 W-30, because the W-30 guy doesn't have dozens and dozens of buddies that go to Hooters with him every Saturday night.

I hope the OCA works this out quick. This whole thing sounds like they're a bunch of dysfunctional whiners, sort of like the ladies on "The View".

Last edited by WhatIf; April 10th, 2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Administrator

I have to agree with Whatif, IMO there's is going to be a mad scramble of good buddies voting. If anything it ought to be interesting, and I can only imagine the discussion once the dust settles.
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I've already decided I'm casting a vote of no confidence in everyone except Karl Sup. That includes the two ASE Zone director candidates from Dixie Chapter.
What do you know about the two ASE nominees? I know one of them and he's the reason I re-joined the DOC and he's been great. If Jesus Christ himself was running I guess you would be against him too. Then again after your tenure there's no one else who measures up.
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by WhatIf
I'm on Earth, thank you very much.
I think that's debatable.

Schwarzenegger may have had low approval ratings towards the end of his tenure, but that does not mean he was "run out of office." He left office when his term ended. Let's not distort history.

While it's reasonable to think he would have lost a bid for a third term had he been allowed to run again, we actually don't know and never will.

The bottom line is, the experience of California with Arnold Schwarzenegger is hardly comparable to what the OCA is going through now.
Old April 10th, 2014, 03:55 PM

So if an uninformed OCA member who knows nothing about those running or the politics of the club or those in the executive positions should decide to send in the ballot, who would be the one to vote for? I dont have a clue. Atlantic Northeast Member
Old April 10th, 2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
So if an uninformed OCA member who knows nothing about those running or the politics of the club or those in the executive positions should decide to send in the ballot, who would be the one to vote for? I dont have a clue. Atlantic Northeast Member
Alan Bouney is running and I have met him,seems like a nice guy but I do not know anything about his beliefs. I can see who some of the guys from your zone thinks would do a good job if you want me to. There's info on those running in the April JWO,that might help you decide. The problem here is,you can't campaign like they do in a political office race. There can nothing negative printed in the JWO,so that leaves word of mouth and the internet sites to express their/your feelings. It's almost like a blind squirrel type situation. I really don't care who is on the board as long as they run it right. I can tell you that Jerry Wilson spends a lot of traveling to Olds events on his own dime and promotes Olds/OCA well IMHO. I'm not a lackey for him either,I just want somebody who has the OCA's best interest @ heart.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; April 10th, 2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
Alan Bouney is running and I have met him,seems like a nice guy but I do not know anything about his beliefs. I can see who some of the guys from your zone thinks would do a good job if you want me to. There's info on those running in the April JWO,that might help you decide. I really don't care who is on the board as long as they run it right. I can tell you that Jerry Wilson spends a lot of traveling to Olds events on his own dime and promotes Olds/OCA well IMHO. I'm not a lackey for him either,I just want somebody who has the OCA's best interest @ heart.
This is where I am coming from, what about president? No candidates so no vote here?
Old April 10th, 2014, 04:55 PM

What do you know about the two ASE nominees? I know one of them and he's the reason I re-joined the DOC and he's been great. If Jesus Christ himself was running I guess you would be against him too. Then again after your tenure there's no one else who measures up.
How dare you question Gods gift to zone directors. Don't you read his past posts? Rocket raider was the best thing since the cutlass. He did that rodeo, now it someone else's turn.
He is cut form the same cloth Yancy is.
Rich
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
This is where I am coming from, what about president? No candidates so no vote here?
That's what i was telling you,Jerry Wilson is the current President and that's who I'm voting for. I'm not telling you or anybody else who to vote for either. I'm just telling you I think he's the best guy for the job. You will have to write his name in because he didn't want to be nominated but will accept the job if he gets the most votes. Here's a story that will help you. They changed printers for the JWO for the March issue. In his usual arrogant havoc causing way,Crowdis refused to pay the printer on time citing his usual 'I don't write checks but every so ofter @ my convenience' type attitude. Jerry Wilson PAID THE PRINTER out of his own pocket so we could get the March JWO on time. This is what's causing the chaos on the board,Yancy's lackeys causing problems. That's why this election is so important,to get a board that will work together for the good of the OCA. That's about as much as I can say,if this doesn't convince you or anybody else,that's your choice.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; April 10th, 2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rich61star
How dare you question Gods gift to zone directors. Don't you read his past posts? Rocket raider was the best thing since the cutlass. He did that rodeo, now it someone else's turn.
He is cut form the same cloth Yancy is.
Rich
I appreciate anybody who devotes their time to help run an organization,especially the OCA. I really don't know what Glenn's problem is but it seems nothing is ever good enough and everybody else is a POS who runs for office. It's like I told him about one of the guys running for the ASE zone,Terry Mell. Terry is the President of the Dixie Olds Chapter and I dropped out years ago because of the leadership in the chapter. I met Terry @ the BOPC show a couple of years ago and had a good conversation with him. He asked if I would consider joining again and I signed up right on the spot because I liked what he was saying. I can tell a lot about a person just talking to them and he came across as genuine as anybody I've ever talked to. I get emails all time about the goings on in the chapter but I live so far away,it's hard for me to get there but I feel like I know what's going on because Terry let's us know. If I have a question or need some info,he get's right back to me on the same day most of the time. That's why I said what I did when Glenn made that comment about the two guys running for the ASE zone directors job.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; April 10th, 2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:29 PM
dcurtis61

For those of you who say you are glad you are not a member or will never be is sad, you my friend will not get a chance to meet the wonderful people that I have been able to call my friends, and it all started with my membership in the OCA.
There are a lot of comments about what is wrong with the OCA but certain people like to make these comments without volunteering their time to run and hold a board members position. Now is the time to get off your butt and help out.
Here are the facts, the 250K is safe in a bank account, nobody is stealing it, think about it folks with all the fighting going on how has it really affected us as members? I still get my JWO each month and get to meet and talk with my OCA friends, So lets vote in the right people and now is the time.
My suggestions are Jerry Wilson for president and yes he will serve if enough people write his name in, then there is a gentleman out of the Dixie chapter that has volunteered for the treasurers position, his name is Lynn Shipley, he knows banking and even owns a bank.
he comes highly recommended, then there are folks like Gene Bossaler and Ralph Gaines who have volunteered to act as South Central Zone Directors, so there it is folks, there are some people stepping up to the plate, now its up to us to vote these people in, the OCA is not going anywhere there are just too many good folks that will not let that happen

Dan Curtis
Candidate for Western Great Lakes Zone Director

Last edited by dcurtis61; April 10th, 2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by dcurtis61
For those of you who say you are glad you are not a member or will never be is sad, you my friend will not get a chance to meet the wonderful people that I have been able to call my friends, and it all started with my membership in the OCA.
There are a lot of comments about what is wrong with the OCA but certain people like to make these comments without volunteering their time to run and hold a board members position. Now is the time to get off your butt and help out.
Here are the facts, the 250K is safe in a bank account, nobody is stealing it, think about it folks with all the fighting going on how has it really affected us as members? I still get my JWO each month and get to meet and talk with my OCA friends, So lets vote in the right people and now is the time.
My suggestions are Jerry Wilson for president and yes he will serve if enough people write his name in, then there is a gentleman out of the Dixie chapter that has volunteered for the treasurers position, his name is Lynn Shipley, he knows banking and even owns a bank.
he comes highly recommended, then there are folks like Gene Bossaler and Ralph Gaines who have volunteered to act as South Central Zone Directors, so there it is folks, there are some people stepping up to the plate, now its up to us to vote these people in, the OCA is not going anywhere there are just too many good folks that will not let that happen

Dan Curtis
Well said Dan and I know what you mean about meeting and having some great friends because of the OCA. I don't try to recruit anybody to join if they don't want to. There's a certain amount of people who just don't like clubs and I understand that. What gets me is the ones chiming in who is not a member,has never been a member nor will ever be a member of the OCA. This is the way I look @ it. Let's say there was a Moon Pie Club here on CO and they were fighting and bickering because they changed the moon pies. Some liked it,some didn't and they were going @ each other like nobody's business. I can promise you I wouldn't comment on their problem,no way no how. You and I know what the OCA means to us but you can't tell somebody who already has their mind made up that's it's been great for us.
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by dcurtis61

Dan Curtis
Exactly Dan. Nicely put. We have also heard that Lynn Shipley would be a good choice for treasurer.
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:36 PM

That's what i was telling you,Jerry Wilson is the current President and that's who I'm voting for. I'm not telling you or anybody else who to vote for either. I'm just telling you I think he's the best guy for the job. You will have to write his name in because he didn't want to be nominated but will accept the job if he gets the most votes. Here's a story that will help you. They changed printers for the JWO for the March issue. In his usual arrogant havoc causing way,Crowdis refused to pay the printer on time citing his usual 'I don't write checks but every so ofter @ my convenience' type attitude. Jerry Wilson PAID THE PRINTER out of his own pocket so we could get the March JWO on time. This is what's causing the chaos on the board,Yancy's lackeys causing problems. That's why this election is so important,to get a board that will work together for the good of the OCA. That's about as much as I can say,if this doesn't convince you or anybody else,that's your choice.
I agree with this too. Jerry came out to Homecoming two years ago, sat down with all of our chapter (Motor City Rockets) members who were there, explained his position on all of the shenanigans which were taking place at the time (the MIN letters), explained what he hoped to do for the club (improve the website, etc) and not once did he prance or point his finger (those who read the MIN letters will understand that reference). He seems like he is very interested in the success of the OCA as an organization. I will also be writing in Jerry Wilson's name in the President column of my ballot.
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I'd subscribe to the magazine without joining, if I could.
You can join to get the magazine and not participate in the club. Lots of people do that. It'd be just like a subscription then.
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by starfire
You can join to get the magazine and not participate in the club. Lots of people do that. It'd be just like a subscription then.
That was a back handed slap by him. He's saying he wants to be part of it by not wanting to be a part of it.
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:52 PM

Just received my JWO, did not know about all the outstanding issues, will follow this post before voting, thanks to CO members for the info.
Old April 11th, 2014, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Just received my JWO, did not know about all the outstanding issues, will follow this post before voting, thanks to CO members for the info.
It's sad that the current situation with the dysfunctional BOD has to be aired out on the internet but that's really the only avenue other than word of mouth. As I previously posted,there can be nothing printed negatively in the JWO. It's like running for public office without TV ads or news papers. I never got involved with OCA politics until this cluster got started. It's a very long story and I really don't want to rehash it but those of us who have kept up with it are trying to get it corrected. To get it corrected in our opinion is to elect board members who will work together for the good of the OCA. You are in the Eastern Great Lakes zone and your choices are Vickie May,Ken Nicholas & Galen Kolesar. Kolesar is a current board member, one of the problems and needs to go. If I were in your zone I would vote for May & Nicholas.I'm voting for Jerry Wilson for President because I think he's the right man for the job and you will have to write his name in,he or no one else is on the ballot for President These are my opinions based on what I know about the situation.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; April 11th, 2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:13 AM

Jerry Wilson PAID THE PRINTER out of his own pocket so we could get the March JWO on time. .
This is directly from Gene Crowdis and Brad Bishop who is the editor of the JWO.

As usual the information is slanted. here are the facts:
The Board voted to change printing companies and OCA President made all of the arrangements for changing from a company that emailed me the invoices at the end of each month.
One invoice was from the printing and distribution costs (- Postage) for the current month's printing.
The other invoice was to cover the cost to prepay the postage amount for the next month's issue.
Worked that way for 9+ years.
The OCA president did not make ANY prepayment arrangement for postage with the printing company or me.
I am a volunteer who writes checks twice each month. Once on the 7th and again on the 22nd.
Again that has worked for 9+ years. I suppose that this "contributor" to the internet forums would write a new check every time he got a bill.

When I did not receive an invoice for prepayment of the first month's postage cost for the new printing company I sent an email to the Board letting them know that I had received the final bill from the previous printer, but no invoice from the new printing company.
I received an answer from the OCA president saying that the new printing company could not prepare an invoice in time for me to receive it by the 7th of the month and that he would pay the invoice when it came in and then request reimbursement from OCA funds.
That is something that I do on a regular basis with various costs. For instance today I charged over $300 to my personal credit card (OUT OF MY OWN POCKET) so we could order envelopes with the OCA logo. I will get my money back when I get the bill from the printing company.
It is the 10th of the month and I still do not have the Invoice for the printing and distribution costs for the April JWO. With the other printing company I always had both invoices in time to make payments on the 7th of the month. But the OCA president has not seen fit to set up any quick payment process with the new printer.

Since the middle of 2004 I have made over 60,000 entries in the OCA financial records. I have every document that was sent to me from the previous treasurer and the CPA firm OCA was paying to do the treasurer's job. That includes the documentation that showed funds were being paid out of the OCA account for rental of equipment that was not approved by the Board.
I also have every document sent to me by the Membership manager and the records of bank deposits that match her input.
Am I going to change now. NO!

I will tell you that in July 2013 I told the general membership meeting that I would not be treasurer after July 2014. I again made that statement in the October 2013 JWO and again in the JWO this year. Where is this guy's name on the ballot to replace me? NOT ANYWHERE!!! If this big mouth can do the job he is welcome to it!!!

I am pretty sure he doesn't know me or he would not say I am anybody's "lackey". And when my membership expires there will not be a renewal.

Look at the way things have gone over the past four years. Membership dropped by over 1000 and that is with hundreds of new members taking the place of those who dropped out.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, but that is the full story. In July I will send the bank a registered letter saying that after July 25, 2014 my signature will no longer be legal on the OCA funds. Then I am done and will have a lot of free time and space in my house.

Gene
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:30 AM

That makes me feel real good knowing that he will be history very soon. There is NO reason anybody should have to pay any OCA bill/invoice out of their pocket,none. If the OCA has an invoice due,he should pay it on time,not @ his convenience like he likes to say. Crowdis now comes out of nowhere to defend his actions and where was he when he was being called out before on his actions? I for one am glad this sad situation will be coming to a close very soon and I hope he talks Yancy into not renewing his membership also.

As far as this 'big mouth' goes,I'm not a financial guy/wizard and don't want the job but if I was the guy,I would do whatever it took to get things done on time. This one time he might have a valid point,where was he when he was causing all of the grief and havoc with his actions? I'm sure it's tough after devoting time and effort doing the treasurer job all these years for it to end this way but with the current situation,it's time to go.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; April 11th, 2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:13 AM

Uhhh, he didn't have an invoice to pay...here again trying to revise history.

Quick Reply: OCA ballot