General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Obsolete parts

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2010, 02:48 PM

Obsolete parts

Does anyone on here know what it takes to repop obsolete Olds parts?
Does the 'General' still track this activity or have they completely written off the brand? Just wondering.
Old August 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
Does anyone on here know what it takes to repop obsolete Olds parts?
Does the 'General' still track this activity or have they completely written off the brand? Just wondering.
I doubt very much that GM doesn't still control the rights to the Oldsmobile name and Oldsmobile part designs. If you want to reproduce an Olds part, label it as such, and sell it for profit, you will certainly need permission from GM if you don't want to take the chance on being sued.
Old August 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM

Just from what I've been told from guys that work at GM SPO, they are required by law to make parts available for 10 years after a vehicle is made. Then they sell off the dies etc. to after-market manufacturers. If the demand is there you will find the parts. Not many 63 Starfires around so the only parts I can easily find are ones that were common to other GM cars also. Inside door handles, window cranks, locks, A/C compressors, some switches etc.
Old August 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM

i don't think it would require GM's blessing to reproduce a part.

i was told that a group in Florida tried to buy the Oldsmobile name and GM would not let it go. i have no idea if that is true.
Old August 8th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I think it would depend on the part. Anything generic like a brake shoe or a distributor cap or rubber weatherstripping, no. But anything that has the "GM" or "Oldsmobile" logo on it, yes. For example, Fusick sells fender and grille scripts and fender emblems, and they say at the top of the page in their catalog that these are licensed and approved by General Motors. Ditto for their rubber floor mats which have "Oldsmobile" molded into them.
Old August 8th, 2010, 05:57 PM

you may be right. but i have seen reproduction emblems and even OAI air breathers with oldsmobile on them that did not say that in the ad or on the box it came in.
Old August 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM

i have seen reproduction emblems and even OAI air breathers with oldsmobile on them that did not say that in the ad or on the box it came in.
Hard to say. They might be legitimate, but I would think that GM would require the statement that they're licensed parts. Also, I would think the seller would want to mention it as it would make them more desirable and maybe worth more. Duplicating the logos and emblems is not difficult. But are they doing it legally?
Old August 8th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Registered

If you reproduce it and it's says Oldsmobile or GM you better have lawyers, guns and money at the ready because the GM Restoration Parts lawyers will nail you big time.
The lawyers don't have to watch that close, the parts vendors that do pay GM for rights do that for them
Old August 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

I don't think you've been following the restoration hobby for the last five years or so. All the automakers have clamped down on the makers of repro parts. There is a licensing process that must be followed. It takes time and money. Doesn't matter if it's Oldsmobile or Oakland or Chevy, GM requires the license before you're allowed to sell the parts. Ask Thornton about the repro W/Z manifolds, for example.
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM

I started thinking about this when I learned GM was discontinuing the timing chain covers on the later V-8's. It wouldn't take much to crank out a few timing chain covers made from stainless for increased longevity. I have a buddy who produces gaskets for vintage and obsolete dirt bikes. His interest is just to keep the old bikes running and cover his expenses. Maybe someone in the aftermarket will read this and take up the cause.
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Ask Thornton about the repro W/Z manifolds, for example.
What was GM's grounds for infringement? The Winters logo? The part numbers? Some patent? It's not like they say "Oldsmobile" on them.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BlackGold
What was GM's grounds for infringement? The Winters logo? The part numbers? Some patent? It's not like they say "Oldsmobile" on them.
GM developed the design for those manifolds with their own investment. GM owns the designs. It's no different than any other intellectual property. If you develop something (hardware, software, whatever) and someone else copies your design exactly then sells it at a profit, you would want to be reimbursed.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM

yeah, you're right Joe! This tracks w/ everything I've heard and seen about Trademarks and naming rights etc. Licensing is key.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I don't think you've been following the restoration hobby for the last five years or so. All the automakers have clamped down on the makers of repro parts. There is a licensing process that must be followed. It takes time and money. Doesn't matter if it's Oldsmobile or Oakland or Chevy, GM requires the license before you're allowed to sell the parts. Ask Thornton about the repro W/Z manifolds, for example.
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Captain of my ship

I will take one for my 69 - 455 as mine is really pitted under the pump.
Old August 11th, 2010, 02:24 AM

My timing cover was pitted, but not too far gone. I coated it with POR-15 and will see how that holds up. I also bought a new one that I'm saving for the original motor rebuild. I'm kinda tempted to try and make a stainless timing cover just to see if it will fit. Someone has tried making a two piece design, but I read that they're prone to leaking.