General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

numbers matching, correct restoration

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2011, 06:15 PM

numbers matching, correct restoration

looking for some help/advice on my restoration of my 70, 442 pace car. now that the rear Quarters are hung and the doors and fenders are repaired and all the gaps including hood decklid are squared away. we will be reinforcing body to separate body from chassis. i will be pulling engine and tranny to go threw both. first question is the tranny is matching to car and has the original OG tag that is kinda ruff and has silver overspray on it. should i just replace it with a new tag that the parts place offeres or just leave as is? 2nd car has original block and E heads but not sure if heads were born on car {how to tell?}. 3rd intake is a W 30 intake and i would like to keep it on car. not sure if this would take away from value? carb is correct. not sure about distributer and i have a correct open face altenator with the raised finned rear but not number matching. and lastly i am going to bolt on red w-30 fenderwalls just because they look great in my opionion. i would not think this would lower the value when i sell this down the road as long as i keep the originals.
Old October 4th, 2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by charlierogers
looking for some help/advice on my restoration of my 70, 442 pace car. now that the rear Quarters are hung and the doors and fenders are repaired and all the gaps including hood decklid are squared away. we will be reinforcing body to separate body from chassis. i will be pulling engine and tranny to go threw both. first question is the tranny is matching to car and has the original OG tag that is kinda ruff and has silver over-spray on it. should i just replace it with a new tag that the parts place offers or just leave as is? 2nd car has original block and E heads but not sure if heads were born on car {how to tell?}. 3rd intake is a W 30 intake and i would like to keep it on car. not sure if this would take away from value? carb is correct. not sure about distributor and i have a correct open face alternator with the raised finned rear but not number matching. and lastly i am going to bolt on red w-30 fenderwalls just because they look great in my opinion. i would not think this would lower the value when i sell this down the road as long as i keep the originals.
I'd leave the tag, I rarely see a trans tag in great shape let alone the original colors - usually its completely warn off. But if you want a nice looking repo put the repo on it and ave the tag - I'd save the money and spend it other places

I thought there were date codes on the heads - can't remember maybe someone else will chime in.

I'm sure the W30 manifold will NOT take away from the cars value - is it a repo or a real one? Though it may be nice to trade it to a W30 owner who needs one for a W30 and maybe get a repo manifold instead.

the openface alternator is a nice thing to have - in my opinion who cares if it is not stamped, only at judged shows would that matter.

Again as for the red fenderwells, I'm sure they won't take away from the value just hold onto the originals.

Last edited by stevengerard; October 5th, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Just so we're all clear, a W-30 intake on a non-W car is neither "numbers matching" nor "correct"...
Old October 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Just so we're all clear, a W-30 intake on a non-W car is neither "numbers matching" nor "correct"...
these # matching posts must drive you crazy joe. i know the W-30 intake and red fenderwells are not correct. i was wondering if they would hurt the cars value when it comes time to sell down the road? both items are pretty easy to change ,but in another 10 years or so i dont think i am gonna want to change them myself. the car did have stick on w-30 emblems when i got it................. maybe its a real w-30 car?