General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Nothing is ever easy!

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2012, 08:13 PM

Nothing is ever easy!

I guess if it was easy there would be alot more ppl driving nice muscle cars. So I went to get rid of these ugly side mirrors. The previous owner gave me a beautiful set of brand new in the box reproduction mirrors. I couldnt wait to get them on. Pulled the door panel today and learned why he had never put them on. Some idiot has welded the mounting bolt for these crappy mirrors!!! Fun stuff!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
750.jpg (64.9 KB, 56 views)
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Geezer

Uh Huh! So why did it take pulling a door panel to discover the mounting nuts for the mirrors had been "welded" to the threaded studs?
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Grind them off and install the new ones. Just a heads up, you might find more of that type of work as you get into your project. Take a deep breath and keep going. BTW, you know that when you put the proper sport mirrors on, you also need an inside stiffener as part of the mount. It's also missing the headlight bezels.

Nice looking car - it has lots of potential. Are those 20's it's riding on?
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
Uh Huh! So why did it take pulling a door panel to discover the mounting nuts for the mirrors had been "welded" to the threaded studs?
Because that's the only way to access the mounts on these cars. You know that.....
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Allan R
Because that's the only way to access the mounts on these cars. You know that.....

Yes, if you are trying to remove already installed mirrors. Doesn't sound as if these were installed now does it?
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Official Tire Kicker

I believe he is talking about the installed mirrors have the studs welded on them, hence you wouldn't know that until the door panels are pulled off.
Old April 6th, 2012, 02:05 PM

mirrors

Yes, it is the installed mirrors that where welded. Thanks Allan for the heads up on the stiffiner, I will have to check into that before i mount them. And the bezels are in the process of getting a new paint job, almost done. Painting those at the same time as the SS1 wheels (both satin black).
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Willidog Thanks for the clarification. You hit the nail on the head. Exactly what I should have said in the first place.

M-L-O Well, the front bumper looks pretty straight, the grills are good, body looks like it's been blocked/primed and the gaps don't look that bad either. How's the interior. Post more pics. We (members of this site) love to see more pics of new rides coming in.... What are your plans for the car?