General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

NOS Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2020, 11:35 AM

NOS Fuel Pump

I recently got my sausage fingers on a NOS Fuel Pump for my 69. My question is, does anybody think the pump will last with the Gas we have today.
Old December 8th, 2020, 11:43 AM

If it were me, and if a modern-made aftermarket pump is available from NAPA or wherever, I'd put the NOS pump in a glass display case to show to your friends when they stop by and use the modern one. I would think the modern one would be built for today's gasohol.

Old December 8th, 2020, 11:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
If it were me, and if a modern-made aftermarket pump is available from NAPA or wherever, I'd put the NOS pump in a glass display case to show to your friends when they stop by and use the modern one. I would think the modern one would be built for today's gasohol.
^^^This. The NOS pump diaphragm and check valves won't be made from ethanol-resistant materials.
Old December 8th, 2020, 12:00 PM

My car is a Vintage Certified 69 H/O. Legend class, Over 90%. When I got the car it had a after market Fuel Pump. The Pump is not correct for the car. I have gone to great lengths to correct the things the Original Owner had changed do to maintenance or what ever. I'm trying make my car as true to form as possible. I hate to say it but this Quest has just about turned me into a Corvette Person.
Old December 8th, 2020, 12:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Guy Fillinger
My car is a Vintage Certified 69 H/O. Legend class, Over 90%. When I got the car it had a after market Fuel Pump. The Pump is not correct for the car. I have gone to great lengths to correct the things the Original Owner had changed do to maintenance or what ever. I'm trying make my car as true to form as possible. I hate to say it but this Quest has just about turned me into a Corvette Person.
Obviously for show purposes, the NOS pump is the better choice. For cars that you actually want to drive in today's world, new is a better choice. Be aware that NOS Delco replacement parts aren't necessarily "optically correct" either.
Old December 8th, 2020, 12:13 PM

Guy can you buy ethanol-free gasoline in your area? We have a couple of stations with it here. Unfortunately its only 90 octane.
Old December 8th, 2020, 12:21 PM

My problem with finding alcohol-free gas locally is consistency. A station will advertise that they have it, and I'll go there to buy gas. Then one day I'll go there, and without any announcement, they won't have it any more. This has happened several times over the last few years.
Old December 8th, 2020, 12:28 PM

Joe I hear you, you were gracious enough to have helped me with the numbers for the correct Fuel Pump 6416836. Thank you. Briane Yes I have access to non reformulated gas and that is what I mostly use. But as thirsty as my car is sometimes Its not near where I am at. I even go as far as to treat it to some race gas ever so often. You have seen my car so you know why I'm doing what I'm doing. Maybe some outfit rebuilds them.
Old December 8th, 2020, 01:54 PM

Checked my inventory and I ran across one of those 641836 pumps in the old style AC red circle box. It also goes by AC Delco # 40523.

To go with Joe's points, not all Delco parts are optically period-correct. So even though the part is technically the correct part, it won't look exactly like what came on the car. At some point, they still made 641836 pumps, but went in "newer" Delco boxes with the modern ACDelco italicized lettering. One of the big differences is that the early style pumps had the AC logo raised on the aluminum housing. The later ones did not. The newer Delphi "one number fits 415 applications" pumps don't have it either, and even have some really thin housing material.

It's a 6 psi pump with a return line, according to GM info. Nuttin' spectacular. It also fits a slew of 66-69 applications, 350 2bbl, 425 w/AC, etc. I can't see anything special about these pumps, except the availability may be thin. Seems to me like it's just a common pump with a return vent.

In some ways, the diaphragms can be considered like NOS tires. Might look cool, but parts like that aren't meant to be stuck on a shelf for 30 years and be expected to perform like new for very long. May surprise everyone if they do, but...well. Real old pumps are a gamble I guess.

As far as running ethanol, I'd avoid it if possible with this pump. Won't notice it in a week or two, but constant use may cause issues later on. Probably run some octane boost and whatever non-ethanol gas you can get close to you. According to my OBDII diagnostic stuff for my truck, it registered a varying 5-7% ethanol concentrations in the BP unleaded premium around here depending on the week. How believable that is would be anyone's guess. Your concentrations my vary.
Old December 8th, 2020, 02:26 PM

Around here there are many gas stations with Rec 90 ethanol free gas. The ones that have it use a seperate pump and it is advertised and priced along with reg gas and diesel.etc. You never know but I don't think they would just stop. Though I'll bet they sell a lot of it to boat owners- there are a lot of lakes around here and most boat owners fill up pontoons,etc with it.
Old December 8th, 2020, 03:49 PM

This VP is the absolute best additive you can buy to help with todays gas. 1 -32oz. can treats 10 gallons of gas and raises the octane by 10 points. You can buy it by the case of 8 and get a better price. It has a 2 years shelf life and I use and swear by it.

https://proshop.summitracing.com/parts/vpr-2857

Old December 9th, 2020, 12:21 PM

I just found a Gentleman that rebuilds the crimp style fuel pumps. I'm going to send him mine and have it done. Even though I have a working Pump on my car now, I would still rather have one that's correct for my car and have no worries about the gas.
Old December 10th, 2020, 08:15 AM
Lance

Guy,

Please let us know how the rebuild of the crimped style of fuel pump turns out.
Old December 10th, 2020, 09:25 AM

And...if it turns out ok, please share the contact for the rest of us.
Old December 10th, 2020, 10:34 AM

I'll will be doing that. So far, I had a very good conversation with him, he said he has done over 1500 of them. Right now he is having a little trouble getting parts due to the China Virus but the parts could show up at anytime. He also told me he does them in batches of about 30 due to the plating and he has close to 50 right now. It takes him about a month from start to finish. For my pump all he will be doing is the internals due to mine being NOS. The box my pump came in has the red AC circle and printed GM. it also still has the original punch card taped to it. I will keep you posted. My Mom always told me " if you have something good, you should share it" If I come up with a good Fart I'll share that too
Old December 10th, 2020, 01:15 PM
Olds Fanatic

I'll will be doing that. So far, I had a very good conversation with him, he said he has done over 1500 of them. Right now he is having a little trouble getting parts due to the China Virus but the parts could show up at anytime. He also told me he does them in batches of about 30 due to the plating and he has close to 50 right now. It takes him about a month from start to finish. For my pump all he will be doing is the internals due to mine being NOS. The box my pump came in has the red AC circle and printed GM. it also still has the original punch card taped to it. I will keep you posted. My Mom always told me " if you have something good, you should share it" If I come up with a good Fart I'll share that too
Thanks Guy!!
Old December 11th, 2020, 05:23 PM

Thanks Guy. If he can rebuild the crimp style pumps and they retain the OEM look and perform without issues, then that's 'firefrost' gold right there.
Old December 11th, 2020, 06:25 PM

My Pump Hits the Mail on Monday. I don't know when I'll get it back, But any updates I get I will be passing them on to you guys. I'll even go as far as sending PM's to everybody that has been interested just to make sure everyone is in the know.
Old December 13th, 2020, 06:19 AM

The ACDelco pump for my 79 403 engine is made by Airtex and it looks exactly like the original (down to the smallest detail) except that there is no AC logo on it. I don't know if they make them with the ACDelco brand for all years. Products (airtexasc.com)
Old December 13th, 2020, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Warren Seale
The ACDelco pump for my 79 403 engine is made by Airtex and it looks exactly like the original (down to the smallest detail) except that there is no AC logo on it. I don't know if they make them with the ACDelco brand for all years. Products (airtexasc.com)
I have bought Carter pumps before with the AC logo on them. The current Carter pumps for a 66 look just like the OEM unit but without the AC logo.
Old December 13th, 2020, 09:07 AM

My Pump Hits the Mail on Monday. I don't know when I'll get it back, But any updates I get I will be passing them on to you guys. I'll even go as far as sending PM's to everybody that has been interested just to make sure everyone is in the know.
Thanks. That's mighty nice of you. But keep your farts to yourself.
Old February 21st, 2021, 11:40 AM

Hey all, just got my fuel pump back from the rebuilder. From what I see you cannot tell that he uncrimped the crimp and rebuilt the pump.The next step is to put it on my car. But will have to wait till spring because car is on my lift in storage and the snow is butt deep to a tall Basketball player. ( can I say that?)
Old February 21st, 2021, 12:13 PM

Pics or it didn't happen.

Seriously, any pictures of the final product? You know we all love pictures!
Old February 21st, 2021, 12:17 PM

I'll see what I can do, as I have said before I'm not real Bright and mostly stupid so I will get someone to post the pictures for me. Give me some time.

Last edited by Guy Fillinger; February 21st, 2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old February 21st, 2021, 05:33 PM

Cool

Ok pictures are up. I have no idea what I did to get the pictures posted, so don't ask
Old February 21st, 2021, 05:51 PM

Ok pictures are up. I have no idea what I did to get the pictures posted, so don't ask
Looks fantastic. Who did the rebuilding?
Old February 21st, 2021, 05:59 PM

I found a guy that did these too, might be same guy. I will need to search for his info and will share
Old February 21st, 2021, 06:47 PM

His name is Fred, his email address is fredsclassics@hotmail.com he lives in California. Fred did not have to replate the cap, but he does that too. Fred is not cheap but what good work is. It cost me $200.00 plus $25 for the return. If you are looking to keep everything on your car original, he's your man for these crimped fuel Pumps. As far as he knows, He's the only one doing them

Old February 22nd, 2021, 06:31 AM

Dude, my old eyes may deceive me, but in that first and second pic, is that cracked aluminum I see on the housing underneath the crimped area????!!!!!!!!

That might not be a good thing if it is...
Old February 22nd, 2021, 11:33 AM

Good eye 69HO43 as it turns out, it is a crack. I took some scotch Bright and cleaned the area and the crack is easier to see. Its a hair line crack so I tested it to see if it opens up by working the Pump lever and it stays tight. Also where it is, it's not where any fuel would make contact with it. When I cleaned off the oxidation the crack does not appear to be new ( crack is not bright metal) so I suspect it was that way from new. Anyway I talked to Fred about it and he did not notice the crack either or he would have said something. Fred says he tests the rebuilt pumps at 6000 rpm and had no problems. What I plan on doing is getting some POR 15 Gas Tank Sealer and coat it just in case, it would not leak gas but if it did leak anything it would be oil. I would not have any problem sending Fred another Pump to be rebuilt in the future, I have nothing but High Praise for Fred's work. In fact he was more concerned than I was.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 12:55 PM

Good eye 69HO43 as it turns out, it is a crack. I took some scotch Bright and cleaned the area and the crack is easier to see. Its a hair line crack so I tested it to see if it opens up by working the Pump lever and it stays tight. Also where it is, it's not where any fuel would make contact with it. When I cleaned off the oxidation the crack does not appear to be new ( crack is not bright metal) so I suspect it was that way from new. Anyway I talked to Fred about it and he did not notice the crack either or he would have said something. Fred says he tests the rebuilt pumps at 6000 rpm and had no problems. What I plan on doing is getting some POR 15 Gas Tank Sealer and coat it just in case, it would not leak gas but if it did leak anything it would be oil. I would not have any problem sending Fred another Pump to be rebuilt in the future, I have nothing but High Praise for Fred's work. In fact he was more concerned than I was.
Hey, if you're happy, that's all that matters. I had just never seen a fuel pump with a crack like that before and while it's true not all cracks are fatal, it's worth checking out.
Old February 22nd, 2021, 01:05 PM

I agree and I really do appreciate you pointing it out because I missed it. Structurally the Pump is fine. Even looking at the Pump directly the crack is hard to see, but in the one picture it is real easy to see. I wonder way back in the day how many of these were put on cars that way.
Old February 23rd, 2021, 05:54 PM
Escape From The Ordinary

Fred Ballard or Goat Hill Classics will restore the crimped fuel pumps.
Old February 24th, 2021, 07:01 AM

I've got a strong feeling that GHC probably just farms out theirs to Fred. GHC used to have a terrible rep of taking your money and watching you squirm. The Corvette guys avoided GHC like the plague. I don't know how they are nowadays.

Under the CO userID of "flingfred" (doesn't post here anymore it seems, so there's that):
My name is Fred and I do restore these crimped together style of fuel pumps. I rebuild them with diaphragms and valves that are compatible with our current ethanol laced fuels. They get cleaned and replated as original. I am currently working on my seventeenth run of these crimped together style of fuel pumps. I have done over 800 pumps so far. I am planning to begin another run in the near future.

I seem to be the only one in the world currently restoring these pumps. If you Google "crimped fuel pump rebuild" you will find that my name seems to be the only one that shows up although mostly associated with Fords. I am also doing the GM and Mopar versions.

Fred Ballard
28916 Flowerpark Drive
Canyon Country, Ca. 91387-1801
661-251-2362
fredsclassics@hotmail.com
Is he still at this addy/phone? Post is 7 years old, so take that into consideration.
Old February 24th, 2021, 08:06 AM

Yes that is Fred's current Email Address. As far as my Fuel pump, after cleaning off the oxidation where the hair line crack is, the crack looks old. The crack is about 15% of the circumference and looked a lot worse before cleaning. What I did to was I got some Loctite Epoxy Weld and forced it into the crack as best I could with a hair line crack. The thickness of the aluminum in that area is about .080 so it's plenty strong. I waiting till spring to put it on.