General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Noob bearing question

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Noob bearing question

When ordering wheel bearings (in this case, SKF bearings from Rockauto), is it typical for the bearings to come with new races?
Old February 11th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Yes always and its better to remove the races from the drums (front I assume) and install the new ones with the bearings as they mate with each other.
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:46 PM

I always thought you had to replace the race, too, and do, if they're bad, but, since all the manufacturers use the same angles now, I use the ones that came with the new rotor or drum.
No comebacks in 30 yrs.!
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Generally you want to install new bearings in a matched set. After so many miles, the races wear or become pitted.
Old February 11th, 2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
I always thought you had to replace the race, too, and do, if they're bad, but, since all the manufacturers use the same angles now, I use the ones that came with the new rotor or drum.
No comebacks in 30 yrs.!
Yeah I know... and new rotors come with races already installed. And I have just swapped bearings without a problem but I would say it is best to replace as a set. My opinion only....
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:36 PM

Any front wheel or differential bearings I've ever bought, always came with the races, but that was awhile back. Best checking with SKF or Rock Auto to be sure. A quick e-mail to either, would probably do it.
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:44 PM

All the bearing I ever bought contain new races. I make a point to install them, too. Not difficult when you borrow a driver tool to install them.
Old February 12th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Bearings and races should be replaced together, they are matched sets and are packaged together. What ever the wear pattern was on your bearing, the race will have the pattern also.

I do not interchange bearings and races of different brands.
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:05 PM

Do you value / LOVE your car???

Rather than order Chinese garbage from Rock Auto -- why not treat yourself to N.O.S. ++ U.S.A. ++ made wheel Bearings & seals --- no wobble or warpage...........

Call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.........New York.....
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Registered

I just got new Timken front wheel bearings/races and seals from Rockauto for my '92 and they all say "Made in the USA" on them.
Old February 16th, 2012, 02:28 PM

I just ordered the bearings, as well as a new wheel seal and some other non-related doodads. Any advice on how to best drive out the old races? I've heard tell of a race removal tool. Any thoughts?
Old February 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I just got new Timken front wheel bearings/races and seals from Rockauto for my '92 and they all say "Made in the USA" on them.
I think some of the bearings I have right now were made in Japan, which I found odd. Kind of like my dearly departed Austrian wine glass.
Old February 16th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Jetstar 88
Any advice on how to best drive out the old races? I've heard tell of a race removal tool. Any thoughts?
The front rotors / drums have little curved cutaways in one or two places where you can get to the backs of the races.
Just put the rotor down on the floor and whale on the back of the race with a sledgehammer and a drift.

- Eric
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
The front rotors / drums have little curved cutaways in one or two places where you can get to the backs of the races.
Just put the rotor down on the floor and whale on the back of the race with a sledgehammer and a drift.

- Eric
Sometimes, I love how unscientific yet charming old car repair can be. Looks like i'll be hijacking some of my dad's brass punches this weekend.
And should I completely clean out the old hubs before putting the new bearings/races in, or just not mind it, as long as the grease is still clean?
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sometimes, I love how unscientific yet charming old car repair can be.
Like working on a Harley - pair of Vise-Grips, screwdriver, and sledgehammer is all you need .

Looks like i'll be hijacking some of my dad's brass punches this weekend.
Not a major deal, but I'd recommend a steel punch - sharper hit, and the brass will probably mushroom at the narrow point of contact with the race.

And should I completely clean out the old hubs before putting the new bearings/races in, or just not mind it, as long as the grease is still clean?
Oh yeah. If you're the obsessive type, it should be surgically clean.
At the very least, completely wipe out any old grease and dirt.
You could clean it with thinner as well if you wish, but that isn't essential, and can sometimes introduce grit if it runs over dirty outside surfaces first.
Remember, these bearings will be turning at about 800RPM at 70mph, and will turn about 38 million times in 50,000 miles, so any little piece of sand has the chance to do plenty of damage.

- Eric