General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

non-Olds in OCA or not?

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2012, 08:09 AM

Rocketraider, I personally agree with you about putting a non-Olds engine into an Olds, as I posted above. However, the OCA has allowed this in Modified for many years, and twice such vehicles have won Best of Show at the Nationals. That shows some disagree with us. If I feel that putting a Chevy into an Olds insults Olds, then I come to the conclusion that putting an Olds engine into anything honors Olds engineering. Since the engine is what takes the car to a win at the track, it follows that race cars with Olds power promote Olds at the track. Other than race cars, the owners would have to convince me/you/OCA that their cars promote Olds in everyday use, and get a class set up for them at the show if that happens. Right now, I pass over the non-Olds powered cars in the show more quickly when looking for my personal pleasure. However, I have judged Modifieds and I set my personal preferences aside and judge by the Judging Sheet. Modifieds with other GM engines have been allowed for many years, and I respect others' preferences as equal club members.
Old June 24th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Oldsdruid

I'm aware of that (OCA Senior Judge here) and that is specifically why those cars have to be shown in Modified classes. It is also a reason I will not judge Modifieds or Street Stocks on an OCA showfield.

I have all but stopped doing courtesy judging at local shows because it's difficult for me to be objective about such a car. I walked away from a gorgeous 1956 Packard Four Hundred at last night's cruise when I saw an LS engine under its hood. What was really ironic was its owner prattling about how the Studebaker-Packard merger ruined Packard.

The host chapters that allowed a non-Olds powered Oldsmobile to win a National Meet Best of Show should have their charters revoked. Were I still a director, that action would have already been initiated. My reasoning? Are you running an Oldsmobile National show, or a generic Sunday afternoon car show?

My problem is not with an Olds-powered race car. My problem is with allowing a factory-Olds powered non-Oldsmobile car into the ranks and competing for a National Meet award. How many times do I have to repeat that?

They want to increase membership by doing that, fine. THEY WILL DO IT WITHOUT ME. I cannot make that any plainer. **** off your existing membership at your peril-
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:13 PM

It's an olds club, right?

I'm a Newbie here, but I'm also opinionated. I'm not restoring a classic or even planning to show anywhere. Unfortunately for one poster, I have a limited budget and my Olds has an 80's 307(LOL)...but still, my car is an Oldsmobile Toronado. I joined so I could be part of a group of folks that know these vehicles and love them like I do. Not Pontiacs, Chevys or anything else. Speaking as a new member, if I joined and start seeing a bunch of posts about other cars and makes, I think it would make the site less special and I'll leave and go elsewhere. What's the point?
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Oldsdruid

You have an Oldsmobile. It has an Oldsmobile engine. 'Nuff said.
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:35 PM

x2. My racer has the correct 400 block, 390925E, and 1966 "B" iron heads, 66 flat iron intake and OEM carbs. No one will mistake my car's engine for something other than an Olds 400. If others want Edelbrock heads and intake, Holley carb, etc. that is fine for them but I like my car to have the 1966 look.

There is nothing wrong with a 307 Olds engine. NHRA stock racers are putting those cars into the 12s!
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:56 PM

"One thing I have learned about the current OCA administration is that it is going to do what it damn well pleases regardless of what the membership thinks, and it is not very transparent about what it does."

If true, this bothers me. Could you give several specific examples?
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Administrator

IMHO, they should keep a modified class, thats what it was meant for. It allows for a factory car body to be turned into whatever vision the owner has. All this BS about disrespecting a brand because it has a non-olds motor in it has been going on for years, not with just Olds. What about people who put other non-factory items on their car? Transmissions, rear ends, A/C systems, electric fans, CD players, non factory colors, mag wheels, etc...?

You have a whole new generation of people entering the car hobby! They are just like we were back in High School, financially insolvent, with voices in their heads telling them to own an old car, and no clue on how to build or maintain one. We did the things that everyone said not to, or could not be done! Back in the day, we non-conformists, lived in wrecking yards, at swap meets, etc..., in search of ways to feed our car habit, like junkies, with not even a beer budget. Come to think of it I still do!

Your car is yours to do with it as you see fit and could afford!

DO NOT INSULT THOSE OF US WHOSE OPINIONS DIFFER FROM YOURS! I'm just as happy and proud of my car as you are of yours. I believe anything that keeps the Oldsmobile name on the road, or captures the attention of our newly created car junkies, is a good thing!

BTW, I am way older than my car!
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:06 AM

I assume you are not talking about me. My personal preference is Olds engine/Olds car, but I respect others' opinions and preferences, as I stated in prior posts.
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
I assume you are not talking about me. My personal preference is Olds engine/Olds car, but I respect others' opinions and preferences, as I stated in prior posts.
I agree with Rund here. However, I too believe that the OCA should keep a modified class. As I've said, I'd allow an Olds with a Chevy engine into our show because we don't do a strip search (car style) for Oldsmobile's entering, however I would not allow a Ford, Chevy, Pontiac etc. in with an Olds engine. Maybe to some that's wrong, but I only want to see Oldsmobile bodies at an Olds show.
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:55 AM

Ken, as you noted about your car show, it is hard to be fair and keep a rigid opinion. For example, when saying a car must be an Olds, or have an Olds body, what about the incomplete cars built by Olds for ambulance, hearse, or even motorhome bodies? They are "real" Oldsmobiles with VIN. Such issues led me to believe that OCA Bylaw was perhaps wiser than anticipated when it was written. If the vehicle promotes Olds, and promotes Olds manufactured cars, it is "worthy" of the show. "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday" would include Olds powered dragsters, Pro Stockers, etc. because the fans appreciate Olds power and Olds engine durability. After all, Olds PAID Warren Johnson to field a Pro Stocker that never saw an Olds assembly plant, and even more extreme, Olds PAID John Force to race an Olds-appearing funny car that didn't even have an Olds engine! If something else is not Olds-bodied, how does it promote Olds in the sphere of influence in which it lives? If someone wants to enter an "oddball" car into the show, explain why it should be there--how does it promote Olds.
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Not pointing fingers, there are many on here and in the OCA that are purists, I respect that, however what is wrong with having a modified section isolated from the pure cars (I wouldn't want them pure cars to catch anything from the not-so's), for the benefit of the lowly modified's saved from the crusher because they still sport Old's bodies and any other powertrain. It doesn't even have to be judged. Wouldn't that make everyone happy?

For example, I would never, as I mentioned earlier, want my car to distract and/ or detract from the original intent of the OCA, but to add that there is something for everyone at an OCA event. Not everyone can or wants to afford a bone stock original rare Olds car.

My car still wears the Oldmobile and Cutlass insignia's and people still refer to it as an Oldsmobile Cutlass. What should I call it, a funny looking Chevelle?

Last edited by oldcutlass; June 28th, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Oldsdruid

We're not quibbling about the modified and street stock classes. They've existed as long as I've been in OCA and quality of those cars often surpasses what's in the stock classes.

The issue is allowing non-Oldsmobile factory production cars into OCA, onto the National showfield and to compete for OCA National awards. Even if they're Oldsmobile-powered they are still no more an Oldsmobile than a KIA Rio is.

I'll support the Oldsmobile powered race or custom cars, but there is absolutely no point in allowing an Oldsmobile-powered factory production Buick, Pontiac, Chevrolet or Cadillac into the OCA ranks. I can promise you NONE of those marque clubs are considering such foolishness.
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rocketraider
We're not quibbling about the modified and street stock classes. They've existed as long as I've been in OCA and quality of those cars often surpasses what's in the stock classes.

The issue is allowing non-Oldsmobile factory production cars into OCA, onto the National showfield and to compete for OCA National awards. Even if they're Oldsmobile-powered they are still no more an Oldsmobile than a KIA Rio is.

I'll support the Oldsmobile powered race or custom cars, but there is absolutely no point in allowing an Oldsmobile-powered factory production Buick, Pontiac, Chevrolet or Cadillac into the OCA ranks. I can promise you NONE of those marque clubs are considering such foolishness.
To that point I would agree!