General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

No Gauge Lights?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:15 PM

No Gauge Lights?

I was just going though all my wiring in the Ol' 69 Cutlass S under the dash and for some reason I dont have Gauge Lights. The GEN light turns on when the key is in the ignition and I found a wire with femal clip end that gos "hot" when I turn the lights on. Does anyone know where the male end may be? Thanks guys
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Randy C.

Your dash lights should be powered by a gray wire that goes hot when the lights are turned on (either just parking lamps or full headlamps). I'd trace the gray wire system to see if something is loose. Also check the instrument cluster light sockets to ensure they are snug in place.

Randy C.
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:38 PM

So I removed my fuel gauge and I have found that the grey wire has no power running to it. I have tested the light on the gauge and it works perfectly fine. What or where would be the next step to fine the problem. Could it be the fuse? But my GEN light does come on as well as the High Beams light on the spedo. Thanks I found a brownish wire with a female end that is hanging down next to my fuse box that has power running to it only when the lights are on, could this be part of the issue, also I had these lights working last summer.
-Much appreciated, Alex

Last edited by 69CutlassAlex; May 22nd, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:10 AM

So I removed my fuel gauge and I have found that the grey wire has no power running to it. I have tested the light on the gauge and it works perfectly fine. What or where would be the next step to fine the problem. Could it be the fuse? But my GEN light does come on as well as the High Beams light on the spedo. Thanks I found a brownish wire with a female end that is hanging down next to my fuse box that has power running to it only when the lights are on, could this be part of the issue, also I had these lights working last summer.
-Much appreciated, Alex
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM

guage lights

The single brown wire coming out of the top of the fuse box is the under-hood lamp wire, that goes hot when the headlights are on.

If all three guage pods are without light, the grey wires are all onthe same circuit and connect to the 4A fuse at the bottom center of the fuse box marked "Inst Lps".

If only one pod is dark, the grey wire leading to that pod may be cut or disconnected from the wiring connector at the back of the guage.

There is a remote possibility that the lead from the headlight switch to the 4A fuse (or the switch itself) is bad.

Happy hunting.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Texas69
The single brown wire coming out of the top of the fuse box is the under-hood lamp wire, that goes hot when the headlights are on.

If all three guage pods are without light, the grey wires are all onthe same circuit and connect to the 4A fuse at the bottom center of the fuse box marked "Inst Lps".

If only one pod is dark, the grey wire leading to that pod may be cut or disconnected from the wiring connector at the back of the guage.

There is a remote possibility that the lead from the headlight switch to the 4A fuse (or the switch itself) is bad.

Happy hunting.

All Three pods are without lights, I just re-installed my fuel gauge after I broke all seven of the little copper nodes sticking out of the back of the gauge and had to replace them with soldering and 7 short peices of wire with bullet tips. Now that that nightmare is over I still have to find out why the lights wont turn on. Ill have to check out that fuse although it looke like they were all intact and healthy looking and suggestions on how troubleshoot?
Thanks for all the good advice.-Alex
Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Alex, just look at the wiring diagram in the Chassis Service Manual, follow the circuit, and test it as you go along.
Test the power side of the fuse, then the other side, then the feed to the headlight switch, then the power out of the headlight switch, etc.

Just check one thing at a time, in order, and you'll find it.

- Eric