General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New turbo for the Jetfire!

Search this Thread

Old January 1st, 2015, 06:28 PM

New turbo for the Jetfire!

When I had the turbo system rebuilt for the jetfire I could not afford the red porcelain coating. I have not been happy with it since because the red looks so much better under the hood. Only the 62s had red turbos and ours had a warranty replacement on it so it was dated 63 after they quit the porcelain. Back in October I flew up to Minneapolis for work and took a turbo with me. I went up a day early and met up with Jim Noel who is the jetfire expert. We took my extra turbo apart and inspected everything. My replacement was also a 63 so he has it porcelain coated and reassembled it with new seals.

I can't do anything with the Jetfire till after I finish the W-30 but it is in dire need of attention. I am not going to restore it but I will be doing a major project with it after the W-30. It needs the rear end rebuilt, front wheel bearings, brakes all the way around, new reproduction radiator hoses installed, and now the red turbo installed. I may also get the rocker moldings restored at the same time. It is not going to see much road time this year. I do plan to take it and the W-30 to a local show this summer but that may be the only trip for the jetfire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
turbo1.jpg (50.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg
turbo 5.jpg (57.3 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by jensenracing77; January 1st, 2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old January 1st, 2015, 07:13 PM

The turbo looks good.
Old January 1st, 2015, 09:17 PM

Awesome! I love the aircraft safety wires.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 05:51 PM

A bush pilot friend I know in Canada is putting that type turbo in his float plane, said it is quite common up there, its needed to get a little boost for high altitude lakes and such. He rebuilds them himself, said its not that difficult. I also noticed a bunch of bent and broken airplane parts around his house....Tedd