General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Tranny Swap with a Twist

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2014, 04:10 PM

Tranny Swap with a Twist

Hello all, I recently removed my 2 speed jetway from my 67 Cutlass Towne Sedan and intend to replace the old junkaway with a freshly rebuilt gm th350 (universal/multicase). My question is simple, are there any aftermarket products that will allow me to connect a kickdown cable bracket to my original rochester 2 barrel carburetor? If so, can you share that information with me? If not, can you suggest some ideas to point me in the right direction? I haven't seen any forum posts that address my unique situation a transmission swap from the 2 speed to a th 350 with a 2 barrel carb set up. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cut-N-Up
Old November 17th, 2014, 04:14 PM

And I thought 'Tranny Swap With A Twist' was going in a direction I just didn't want to picture. Why can't people use the word 'transmission' ??
Old November 17th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Treat it like a Chevelle.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

http://lokar.com/product-pgs/throttl...s/th350kd.html
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:01 PM

Serious And Intelligent Responses Only Please!!!!

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
And I thought 'Tranny Swap With A Twist' was going in a direction I just didn't want to picture. Why can't people use the word 'transmission' ??
Hey question monitor, why does it matter what terminology that was used when asking my question? For starters, I rarely post questions on this site and when I do find the time to ask legitimate questions, I always get serious and helpful responses!

This is precisely why I come here time and again because of the great information disseminated on this site. As a general rule of thumb, I try to avoid mind numbing conversations like the one you were trying to have and your knee jerk response lacked critical thought and was useless. Whatever you were alluding to or talking about was completely unhelpful to me and did I mention that it was totally useless? Hey question monitor, If you cant help or don't know the answer that is fine, I can deal with that, however my 2 cent advise to you (since you added your's to my question) is that you not waste my valuable time with inept responses. Why cant people think first before speaking??

In my experience on this site I have found that 95% of the guys and gals on these sites are extremely helpful and to you folks I say thank you. However, the are always a few marginal CLOWNS that make asking for information very frustrating!! To that 5% (Only the Clowns will get offended by this) just be quiet so those that of us interested in good sound advice can hear from the 95% who actually( know what they are talking about) have valuable information to share and genuinely want to help!

Thankfully, one serious fellow Oldsmobile car enthusiast knew where I was going with my original tranny question in context and responded. By the way, Thanks for the information Sir or Ma'am! It is greatly appreciated. Now that I feel better, I can continue with my serious high quality tranny swap. Thanks again for the useful information. (Thanks to the 95% keep up the great work) To the 5% Clowns the circus has left town!!!!!!!

Cut-N-Up
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:12 PM

Bowtie Overdrive may have something you need, they have adapters to add to the carb, like your looking for, ? 2 barrel im not sure. Never hurts to inquire.
Steve
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by CUT-N-UP
Hey question monitor, why does it matter what terminology that was used when asking my question? For starters, I rarely post questions on this site and when I do find the time to ask legitimate questions, I always get serious and helpful responses!

This is precisely why I come here time and again because of the great information disseminated on this site. As a general rule of thumb, I try to avoid mind numbing conversations like the one you were trying to have and your knee jerk response lacked critical thought and was useless. Whatever you were alluding to or talking about was completely unhelpful to me and did I mention that it was totally useless? Hey question monitor, If you cant help or don't know the answer that is fine, I can deal with that, however my 2 cent advise to you (since you added your's to my question) is that you not waste my valuable time with inept responses. Why cant people think first before speaking??

In my experience on this site I have found that 95% of the guys and gals on these sites are extremely helpful and to you folks I say thank you. However, the are always a few marginal CLOWNS that make asking for information very frustrating!! To that 5% (Only the Clowns will get offended by this) just be quiet so those that of us interested in good sound advice can hear from the 95% who actually( know what they are talking about) have valuable information to share and genuinely want to help!

Thankfully, one serious fellow Oldsmobile car enthusiast knew where I was going with my original tranny question in context and responded. By the way, Thanks for the information Sir or Ma'am! It is greatly appreciated. Now that I feel better, I can continue with my serious high quality tranny swap. Thanks again for the useful information. (Thanks to the 95% keep up the great work) To the 5% Clowns the circus has left town!!!!!!!

Cut-N-Up
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:21 PM

Whoa, ease up a little, If you don't like the responses find another forum...my .02
Old November 17th, 2014, 06:42 PM

-The moderator Oldscutlass gave you some very helpful info I thought.
59-59-59 a registered user, I believe was trying to be slightly amusing. "tranny" "transvestite with a twist " get it? But then if you need to explain a joke it ain't so funny.

Best regards
Mike
Old November 17th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Mike nailed it, it was an attempt at being funny that just didn't pan out well. Please don't take it to heart as some of us have a different sense of humor. Sorry for my short reply earlier, I was short on time. Like I said just treat it like a Chevelle, you may have to mod the mounting bracket of what ever setup you buy. I've done this on many a Chevy 6 cylinder/std trans to a v8/auto on old pickups.
Old November 21st, 2014, 06:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
And I thought 'Tranny Swap With A Twist' was going in a direction I just didn't want to picture.
Ha ha ha. My immediate thought as soon as I saw the title, and the only reason I clicked on this thread.

My problem is, for a split second, I DID picture it.

And now I'm forever scarred!

- Eric

ps: some folks need to lighten up around here
Old November 21st, 2014, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Before this gets out of hand... apparently the intent of the originally posted comment, albeit a misguided attempt in humor, went south and was taken the wrong way. It happens, lets move on.

How about we do a start over and give the new guy a chance.
Old November 21st, 2014, 07:16 AM

Here's a link to a post about using the BTO TVEZ kit on a 2GC carb:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post721672

If you look further down that thread, I have some pictures of how I had to modify the brackets to work, since the adapter bracket was for a "small throat" 2GC instead of the larger throat I had. BTO doesn't make a kit for the large throat 2GCs. I know you are looking for the kickdown cable attachement and mine was for a TV cable, but there may be some ideas to get you going.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; November 21st, 2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old November 21st, 2014, 07:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Not to be argumentative, but, hey, I'm sorry, I'm going to be argumentative, and risk getting deleted here.

If you walk into a first grade class to teach a biology lesson on digestion and write the word "Poop" on the blackboard, you're going to get some funny comments.
If you walk into the internet and type the word "Tranny" in your title, the same thing will happen. It's like the weather.

More significantly, though, this is a public internet discussion board (or "forum" as those young kids say). Anyone with an e-mail address and a random string of characters can join, and, as long as they're not BadAndy, they can comment.

If you create a thread, it is not your thread. You do not have ownership of it. You are not the gatekeeper. You cannot take it and go home if the other children don't play the way you want to.

You post up a thread, some people provide helpful responses, some people provide incorrect responses, and some people provide irrelevant (but sometimes amusing) responses. That is the nature of the internet, and, here on ClassicOlds, as long as you are not obscene, abusive, or defamatory, you are allowed to post whatever you wish.

- Eric
Old November 21st, 2014, 07:25 AM

"however my 2 cent advise to you".....Don't you mean you want to impart advice to him as opposed to advise him?.......keep your tantrums to yourself.
Old November 21st, 2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Not to be argumentative, but, hey, I'm sorry, I'm going to be argumentative, and risk getting deleted here.

If you walk into a first grade class to teach a biology lesson on digestion and write the word "Poop" on the blackboard, you're going to get some funny comments.
If you walk into the internet and type the word "Tranny" in your title, the same thing will happen. It's like the weather.

More significantly, though, this is a public internet discussion board (or "forum" as those young kids say). Anyone with an e-mail address and a random string of characters can join, and, as long as they're not BadAndy, they can comment.

If you create a thread, it is not your thread. You do not have ownership of it. You are not the gatekeeper. You cannot take it and go home if the other children don't play the way you want to.

You post up a thread, some people provide helpful responses, some people provide incorrect responses, and some people provide irrelevant (but sometimes amusing) responses. That is the nature of the internet, and, here on ClassicOlds, as long as you are not obscene, abusive, or defamatory, you are allowed to post whatever you wish.

- Eric
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:43 AM

X2
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:56 AM

Thanks again 95%

Originally Posted by boese1978
"however my 2 cent advise to you".....Don't you mean you want to impart advice to him as opposed to advise him?.......keep your tantrums to yourself.
Old November 21st, 2014, 09:27 AM

"And I thought 'Tranny Swap With A Twist' was going in a direction I just didn't want to picture."

Reminds me of a limerick about a guy with a corkscrew member.

But, boy, do we digress now.
Old November 21st, 2014, 10:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

"Left hand thread," as I recall, which kind of brings it all right back onto discussion boards... doesn't it?

- Eric
Old November 21st, 2014, 10:40 AM

There once was a man from Nantucket..................lLOL
Old December 28th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Administrator

I deleted your last post as it was unnecessary and late. My question pertains to your original issue, did you get it resolved?
Old December 28th, 2014, 05:13 PM
morgan

LoL....I love it
Old December 29th, 2014, 04:41 PM

- Eric
Exactly. Some people need to lighten up. If they can't, just do what most people lacking a sense of humor do....skip over the satire post.
Old December 29th, 2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by CUT-N-UP

Cut-N-Up
Uhhhh have you looked at your user name ??
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:07 PM

tranny linkage fix

Originally Posted by Barry Jones
Uhhhh have you looked at your user name ??
My first thought when reading the initial response. Anyway, a bit of humor does keep me coming back for more. I might even learn something.
Old December 30th, 2014, 02:21 PM

The real question here is why can "tranny" mean transvestite and not transmission? Tranny is a slang term no matter how you look at it. I've been calling a transmission a tranny or trans since long before I even knew what a transvestite was, and I'm not going to change because of a sophomoric 7th grade humor level on this board.
Old December 30th, 2014, 05:53 PM

IT WAS A JOKE!!! No one is asking anyone to change their mechanical terminology. It was a small bit of sarcasm to get a giggle out of some of the immature posters, like myself, and should have been ignored by the OP and anyone else who lacks a sense of humor.
Old December 30th, 2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Summerof84
The real question here is why can "tranny" mean transvestite and not transmission? Tranny is a slang term no matter how you look at it. I've been calling a transmission a tranny or trans since long before I even knew what a transvestite was, and I'm not going to change because of a sophomoric 7th grade humor level on this board.
"tranny" isnt short for transvestite,its short for transexual,hence the "tranny". but, i see the humor in the wording. i also laugh at, farts,burps,innuendos,double intendres,pratfalls,slapstick,ect,and im 61 yrs old.
Old December 30th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

A joke?

It was insightful and critical commentary on the evolving state of the perception of the artificially constructed concept of "gender" in twenty-first century American society, and its reflection in the lexical and dialectical choices and semiotic memes of electronic communication and meta-communication.

- Eric
Old December 30th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Damn Eric, could you have stated your view any clearer. Lets cut the guy a break and give him the benefit of the doubt. Yes he overreacted to what normally would be humorous banter, misconstruing a mild attempt at senseless humor. He also could have been flamed at another forum which put him on the offensive, or possibly having a bad day.
Old December 31st, 2014, 06:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That was a joke, Eric.

A send-up of "postmodern" societal analysis, a là Derrida.

- Eric
Old December 31st, 2014, 06:45 AM

Late to the party but candidly, none of this makes much sense to this cracker
Old December 31st, 2014, 06:52 AM

i think the best stuff may have been deleted, knew i shoulda looked earlier
Old December 31st, 2014, 07:02 AM
Administrator

That was a joke, Eric.

A send-up of "postmodern" societal analysis, a là Derrida.

- Eric
What I was trying to say above is your exquisite and creative use of vocabulary, impressive.
Old December 31st, 2014, 05:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I accept your too-kind remarks humbly and with gratitude.

- Eric
Old December 31st, 2014, 07:04 PM

I agree with Eric........ what ever he said
Old December 31st, 2014, 09:03 PM

Speaking of flogging a tangent to death.......I hope we're not becoming ROP.
Old December 31st, 2014, 09:30 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 67442nut
S.....I hope we're not becoming ROP.
ROP?!?!?!

Why you &(#*!! You're nothing but a ##$ΩX% with a &^%$ and a $*^* that %%$#*)$!

And your mother √*#$$&@^%$¨®µ@_&$#^@&, even when she's working on the car!

Closer tolerances, <0.002". And I ran 8.85 on a 102° day against the wind, in my 455 GMC motorhome.

- Eric
Old January 1st, 2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by 67442nut
Speaking of flogging a tangent to death.......I hope we're not becoming ROP.
Ed, ive seen more ROP like behavior on this forum than I would have expected from a forum that claims to be mightier than thou.

Hope you are well.
Old January 1st, 2015, 06:55 AM

Isn't this thread in the wrong Forum. Should be in Parts for Sale. Right?
Actually I am not sure who would want to swap anything for a Twisted Tranny but you never know.
Obviously I am in the 5% group. My apologies to the other 95% of you guys.

Quick Reply: Tranny Swap with a Twist