General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New steering box issues

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2014, 08:37 AM

New steering box issues

So I fixed the leak going into the box ( Thanks Eric )
But now have a interesting issue. This is a direct replacement box from Year One ( bF644 ) which is their name for the AGR 292317 variable ratio gear box.
I had one mechanic install it.He said it needed aligned because the steering wheel was off and it rotated 1 revolution 1 way and 2 the other. So I take it to another mechanic ( pepboys ) they have all the latest equip tht the first guy didn't. They said the box was in wrong and the tie rods were way off ( and they were after showing me. So they dissasembled a few things, moved the steering a couple gears over so that the pitman arm,tie rods and such lined up straight.
( sorry if I'm not explaining it quite correctly) Well it did straighten up a lot better ( have to go back with a shem kit to finish) While driving home I noticed it wasn't turning properly again. So I turned the wheel both ways while stopped. Now I still get 1 revolution 1 way and 2 the other! It just changed from left to right. And it seems the car wants to dart back and forth a lot.
A side note, Everything on the front end has been replaced ,all is brand new. Seems to be floating back and forth still as well. Thanks for any imput.
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Administrator

The problem is nothing was centered, so the alignment and steering wheel position are both way off.
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't know exactly what's wrong from your description, but when done properly (and it is not difficult to do properly), there should be NO need to readjust ANYTHING after changing a steering box.

Now, if your alignment was off before the box was changed, then, Yes, it will still need to be aligned after the change, but that has nothing to do with the steering box.

Finally, any even halfway decent alignment shop will have the alignment shims needed to align your front end. They are the same for essentially all GM cars and trucks (and I believe all other American makes) over a period of about forty years.
If you go to a place that tells you to come back with your own shims, DO NOT GO BACK THERE; find a competent place instead.

- Eric
Old September 14th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Finally, any even halfway decent alignment shop will have the alignment shims needed to align your front end. They are the same for essentially all GM cars and trucks (and I believe all other American makes) over a period of about forty years.
Yeah, but the problem is that forty year period ended about 20 years ago!

One of the last GM cars that used shims had to have been the 96 Caprice. Maybe S/T trucks went later, I'm not sure. Anyone have a newer example?
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, but the problem is that forty year period ended about 20 years ago!

One of the last GM cars that used shims had to have been the 96 Caprice. Maybe S/T trucks went later, I'm not sure. Anyone have a newer example?

Any shop that schedules alignments on older cars, that still need alignments even though there are newer steering systems to align, should know to have alignment shims on hand...Any shop in business for any length of time has had older cars come in needing shims added, or removed even...They are cheap and you can charge the customer for shims...No customer with an older car should need to bring in shims to have a car aligned...I would find a new place to get my car lined up if told to bring my own shims in...That tells me they have not done enough alignments on older cars to have a few shims lying around...new or used...And frankly my confidence level would be extremely low in such a shop...Tires are expensive and even a slightly off alignment chews them up and spits them out...
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by red70442
Any shop that schedules alignments on older cars, that still need alignments even though there are newer steering systems to align, should know to have alignment shims on hand...Any shop in business for any length of time has had older cars come in needing shims added, or removed even...They are cheap and you can charge the customer for shims...No customer with an older car should need to bring in shims to have a car aligned...I would find a new place to get my car lined up if told to bring my own shims in...That tells me they have not done enough alignments on older cars to have a few shims lying around...new or used...And frankly my confidence level would be extremely low in such a shop...Tires are expensive and even a slightly off alignment chews them up and spits them out...
Agreed... They said I needed 3/16ths shims.All they had was a larger size.He said He could get them but would take a couple days or so. I said forget it I'll find them online and bring them in.They said they would honor the alignment warranty if I brought them in. That's why I need to take it back to them first to see if they can fix it at no extra charge to me. If they can't then I'm asking for My money back.Or at least some of it. They spent 4 hours trying to align it properly. I hate to walk away after 125.00 bucks. But I'll give it another try first.
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

They could have called the local NAPA and had them delivered in about 15 minutes if they'd given a damn.

- Eric
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by red70442
Any shop that schedules alignments on older cars, that still need alignments even though there are newer steering systems to align, should know to have alignment shims on hand...A
I don't disagree with that, but the reality is that there just aren't that many 20+ year old cars on the road. I doubt that most of the techs at these shops have even seen a car that uses shims. Cars over 20 years old probably represent under 5% of currently registered vehicles. Sorry, but we're all getting older...

HEY! You kids get off my lawn!
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
They could have called the local NAPA and had them delivered in about 15 minutes if they'd given a damn.

- Eric
I'll call Napa tomorrow to see if they have them in stock. Can't seem to find a source online yet for 3/16ths shims. Are they "camber shims" "upper control arm shims? " I get nothing on 3/16 on a search engine. Thanks
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Administrator

I agree on the shop ought to have shims, however the shims have nothing to do with getting everything centered so he has the same amount of turns side to side. I would be extremely leery of this shop even touching my car again, and even pissed that they had the audacity to charge me for something they did wrong in the first place.

Almost all parts houses supply shims.
Old September 14th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by MudEye
Can't seem to find a source online yet for 3/16ths shims. Are they "camber shims" "upper control arm shims? " I get nothing on 3/16 on a search engine.
NAPA has them, but their web search function is lousy and won't show them.

Anyone can cross reference them to their Moog number, even if they don't have a clue as to what they are.

Here are a bunch of Moog numbers:

9/16" shims (I'm pretty sure these are too big):
1/32".... K961 and K970
1/16".... K962 and K971
1/8".... K963 and K972

5/8" shims (I think this is the right size, but check with someone else or on the car to be sure):
1/64".... K957
1/32".... K958
1/16".... K959
1/8"..... K960

- Eric
Old September 14th, 2014, 10:50 PM

if they had to they could of used washers.