General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New Hemming's Classic Car

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Oldsdruid

New Hemming's Classic Car

Anyone seen the June 2011 Hemming's Classic Car? It's a station wagon issue, and Olds wagons get some good press.

I liked this- "The king of all station wagons has got to be the Vista Cruiser. It was the car that every kid wished his parents had bought."

Pretty strong statement, especially in light of the Ford Squire wagon's popularity.
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:28 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I wonder why they don't sell these on the magazine racks in stores? They always have the main Hemmings with all the for sale ads.

I only subscribe to Hemmings Muscle Machines.

When I was a young lad,my baseball coach had a 72 Vista.After games he would load the whole team in that car for a trip to the local Dairy Queen.Now that I think back it was probably pretty funny looking,we had arms,legs and heads hanging out all the windows because of lack of space.

I did always wish my Parents had one,I always liked the rear windows and all the room back there.

Old April 17th, 2011, 07:40 AM

My dad was a rambler guy he loved the ugly things and for 12 years and 3 wagons he bought the big ambassador wagons. He justified it because he needed the room for his camping gear. Could never understand why he liked them ha ha.
Old April 17th, 2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Anyone seen the June 2011 Hemming's Classic Car? It's a station wagon issue, and Olds wagons get some good press.

I liked this- "The king of all station wagons has got to be the Vista Cruiser. It was the car that every kid wished his parents had bought."

Pretty strong statement, especially in light of the Ford Squire wagon's popularity.
A. The Ford Country Squire was the king, period.
B. I assume by kids they mean under the age of 10. After that who in their right mind wanted mom and dad to buy a wagon.

I have three more issue of Muscle Machines to go before my subscription expires. Im not renewing, too many Hemis and COPOs for my taste. Every stinking issue has a hemi car in it. Ive yet to see a 65, 67, or 69 442 in there.
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Yep,the Furd is the king, period.
Why??, period.
Because I say so, period.
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Thumbs up

GOOD eye Rocket Raider! i DO get it & its cool!!
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Yep,the Furd is the king, period.
Why??, period.
Because I say so, period.

Take off the Olds blinders.
Old April 17th, 2011, 12:02 PM

1964 CS numbers 140,029
1964 Vista numbers 14,000

1965 Ford CS sales 146,847
1965 Vista sales 31,985

1970 Vista numbers 34,094
1970 CS numbers 108,914

The Country Squire was an American original, an institution that lasted 40 years. Vistas are cool but dont hold a candle to the popularity of the Country Squire.

Last edited by TK-65; April 17th, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old April 17th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Registered

What logic says that the author's opinion of being "king" and sales numbers mean the same thing?

The Vista Cruiser wasn't an American original??

Why this is even being talked about here is beyond me.
ROP type feeding on your own type stuff.

The only possible reason this thread was started was so the Vista Cruiser is king statement could be disagreed with.
I wasn't born yesterday.
I could sort of see it if this was a Ford or wagon forum, just being provocative for the sake of being provocative here.

And people are wondering why a lot of the old site veterans are hardly posting anymore if at all?
Old April 17th, 2011, 12:52 PM

What logic says that the author's opinion of being "king" and sales numbers mean the same thing?

The Vista Cruiser wasn't an American original??

Why this is even being talked about here is beyond me.
ROP type feeding on your own type stuff.

The only possible reason this thread was started was so the Vista Cruiser is king statement could be disagreed with.
I wasn't born yesterday.
I could sort of see it if this was a Ford or wagon forum, just being provocative for the sake of being provocative here.

And people are wondering why a lot of the old site veterans are hardly posting anymore if at all?
So if its not Olds, its not welcome. And if someone thinks that an Olds model wasnt the best ever, they shouldnt type their thoughts?

So the old guard is gone because some people have an open mind and may like cars other than Oldsmobiles.

I get it, you own a Vista and like them. I own two 65s and like them. But I know what they are and what they arent. Im cool with that. They were not the king in 65. Mopar, Pontiac, Chevy and Ford all had faster cars. All had Muscle Cars that sold way more than Olds did. I can admit that, no big deal.

Vista Cruisers were nice, but Ford blew them out of the water on sales. That tells me more people liked them and they were more popular. Why cant I say that here?
Old April 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Oldsdruid

I started the thread, and I'm calling bullshit on your comment. The reason I compared the VC to the Squire was that there were only two Ford wagons in their "35 you must own" feature- the 1957 Squire/Sedan and the 64-5 Falcon/Comet. Given Ford's dominance of the wagon market for over 40 years, I thought that was a little unusual.

I wasn't born yesterday.

Then quit reading so damn much into what other people post, and do not dare to presume my intent in posting it.

Maybe I should call Lentinello and tell him to stop putting ANYTHING about Oldsmobiles in his magazine. I can guarantee one thing- this'll be the last time I'll mention anything about any magazine with an Olds feature.

RR
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:01 PM

My parents had a 57 Ranch Wagon got it from a guy named Marion. It was cool to ride in the back in the summer with the window (hatch) open and listen to the pipes and breath the fumes.
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:11 PM

I'm humored by the drama......

Personally I'm not a wagon fan because that wasn't my generation, but I personally think
the Vista Cruiser is the better looking wagon over the Ford Squire. People's opinions will vary.

I don't think there was anything cooler looking then the Vista now that I think about it.
Strictly talking that era anyways. Modern wagons I think the Dodge Magnum is king.

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 17th, 2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rocketraider

I just got my issue in the mail a few days ago . SWEET!!!!!
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:48 PM

One of THE WORST car I owned (1994-1997) was my brown 1983 AMC Eagle station wagon! The rear axle let go on me, back in march of 1995!
The money I spent on repairs on that crapbox($4500 in the three year period), I could of fixed my former 1995 Aurora, and had that Oldsmobile roadworthy.