General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New Firestone Wide Oval radials. Anyone have 'em yet?

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2017, 10:07 PM

New Firestone Wide Oval radials. Anyone have 'em yet?

I am curious as to how well they ride and handle with the original style tread. https://www.cokertire.com/tires/styl...adial-rwl.html
Old January 16th, 2017, 04:01 AM

I wish those were available when I did my W-30, I would have tried a set. I am thinking about putting the SSI wheels on the car, I may get a set if I do.
Old January 16th, 2017, 02:06 PM

i understand the market is small but i think they leave so much money on the table in the muscle car market by pricing thes reproductions like that. A lot of people would the same say eff and buy BFGs for a fraction of that. those who do buy them are also less likely to burn them off and be repeat customers. I have an 83 hurst and the eagle GTs are like $325 or something. price them reasonable at like $200.
Old January 16th, 2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 88 Cutty Classic
i understand the market is small but i think they leave so much money on the table in the muscle car market by pricing thes reproductions like that. A lot of people would the same say eff and buy BFGs for a fraction of that.
Have you priced BFG Radial T/As lately? They've jacked the price to about double what they used to be, which is about double what they're worth.

Regarding the new Firestone Wide Oval radials: The tread and lettering may look close to original, but I see they screwed up the most distinctive feature -- the square shoulders. To me, that's what really makes the wide ovals and polyglas tires look different than modern radials.
Old January 16th, 2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
Have you priced BFG Radial T/As lately? They've jacked the price to about double what they used to be, which is about double what they're worth.

Regarding the new Firestone Wide Oval radials: The tread and lettering may look close to original, but I see they screwed up the most distinctive feature -- the square shoulders. To me, that's what really makes the wide ovals and polyglas tires look different than modern radials.
You can't have that square shoulder on a radial I do not believe. Don't think it would wear correct.
Old January 16th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Coker carries both the bias ply and radial versions of this tire. If you want the shoulders you must buy the bias ply.
Old January 19th, 2018, 10:07 AM

I'm reviving this thread after a year as I am also looking for actual user experience with these tires (the wide oval radials). Who has them and how do they stack up?
Old January 19th, 2018, 11:11 AM

I'll be buying a set for my incoming '72 Stingray this spring then if I like them, I'll get a set for my '72 442. The 442's Radial T/As are well past their expiration date. I'm looking at the Goodyear Polyglas bias-ply for my SX since that would be more correct in appearance for 1970 than Wide Ovals.

I agree on the pricing being a bit nuts on most of the reproductions.

Terry
Old January 19th, 2018, 06:02 PM

What is good tire expiration? Mine have 2002 and 2005 vintage. Probably time for new sets for both.
Old January 19th, 2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
What is good tire expiration? Mine have 2002 and 2005 vintage. Probably time for new sets for both.
Probably ready at least for the 2002 as many say 10 years max for tire life, risk blow outs from rubber rot even if plenty of tread left.
Old January 20th, 2018, 07:39 AM

I will let you know. I am getting five F70-15's redlines for my 65 and it's American Torque thust mags. They are from new molds. They are made in Indiana, Pa. at what used to be the McCreary Tire and Rubber Co. I'm getting them for two reasons one of what they are and two as a kid we lived across from the McCreary's and I used to play around the plant and I can still smell the rubber. My elementry school (Eisenhower) was beside the plant's cooling pond. You can use Google earth to see it. I checked on the tire through Universal Vintage Tire in Hershey, Pa. and spoke with a fellow there. Many of Coker Tires are made in Indiana, PA. I know the G70's on my Dad's 70 442 were made there also. I like nostalgia. It's cool. Attached is a picture of the plant. When I was a kid in the 60's there was a real tall smoke stack in the right part of this photo. There was nothing up behind it. You can see McDonalds up there along rt. 286. Up there was just a field, now there is a mall.

Last edited by jRoofgunner; January 20th, 2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: add photo
Old January 20th, 2018, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jRoofgunner
I will let you know. I am getting five F70-15's redlines for my 65 and it's American Torque thust mags. They are from new molds. They are made in Indiana, Pa. at what used to be the McCreary Tire and Rubber Co. I'm getting them for two reasons one of what they are and two as a kid we lived across from the McCreary's and I used to play around the plant and I can still smell the rubber. My elementry school (Eisenhower) was beside the plant's cooling pond. You can use Google earth to see it. I checked on the tire through Universal Vintage Tire in Hershey, Pa. and spoke with a fellow there. Many of Coker Tires are made in Indiana, PA. I know the G70's on my Dad's 70 442 were made there also. I like nostalgia. It's cool. Attached is a picture of the plant. When I was a kid in the 60's there was a real tall smoke stack in the right part of this photo. There was nothing up behind it. You can see McDonalds up there along rt. 286. Up there was just a field, now there is a mall.
No kidding! I went to IUP and didn't know that about McCreary having a plant there or I just didn't pay attention at the time (mid-late '80s). Is that the Regency Mall or Indiana Mall area? I'm trying to visualize where that was. I was really ramping up my car craziness during my time there and got my first Olds after my freshman year.

I wonder if it's possible to pick up the tires there - it would save me a lot in shipping....

Terry

Last edited by vette442; January 20th, 2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old January 20th, 2018, 08:29 AM

I don't think you can pick them up there. When did you graduate; year? I went to Bethany to college. As far as getting the tires, since I am coming back there this summer, I asked the guy at Vintage in Hershey(my cousin lives in Lebanon, PA.)about picking them up there. It's about $125 for five to come to Missouri. But even if I pay for them from here and pick them up there it will be $80 tax for PA. But then I will have gas fees and if I took the Turnpike..................... well you know the rest. I guess I will pay the shipping and get them next month.

Ever race at New Alexandria?? good photos.