General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New chassis suspension front-end, brake parts

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2020, 08:22 AM

New chassis suspension front-end, brake parts

I have concerns about using new Chinese made parts on our vintage cars, being marketed by such US legacy brands as Moog, Bendix, Wagner et al nowadays. Virtually nothing seems to be US made any more. NOS GM parts are scarce and insanely expensive - like $400 for a pr of lower ball joints. Are there any opinions on the best compromise for replacing vital front-end, brake or suspension parts? GM A/C Delco stuff is probably now foreign made, but wondering if GM specs or quality control provides some assurance of superior quality or safety... they seem to have both a Pro and Advantage line for some parts.
Facts or opinions?
Old January 3rd, 2020, 08:46 AM
Administrator

I have never gone wrong with using Moog for front end parts. I have used all of the major brands for brake parts over the last 20+ years with satisfactory results even though they are made in China. I don't think any of the off the shelf brake parts found at the local parts stores are manufactured in the US anymore. Craig (known as member mobileparts on here), has NOS parts, but can be moderately expensive. The easiest way to get a hold of him is to call the number below:
Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935..... New York.....
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...bileparts.html
Old January 3rd, 2020, 12:14 PM
Olds Fanatic

holidaysedan,
I just finished rebuilding my entire front end using Moog parts, seem to be high quality.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 12:17 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Some of the Napa Chassis parts are still made in USA. I just bought all the steering components for a Chevelle I'm working on and they all have Made in USA on them. I believe they are made by Dana/Spicer.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 02:12 PM

Good to know about the Dana / Spicer parts.

The last time I did front suspension work I bought McQuay Norris tie rod ends at the local parts store and they were made in USA. Don't know if that is still the case, though.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 04:13 PM
Running On Empty

I’m sitting here with over two dozen front end assembly parts manufactured by Moog. Two rubber front sway bar bushings are made in China. It states this on the Moog box. That’s two out of 24. The tie rod ends are made in the USA. The tie rod end adjusting sleeves are made in the USA. The UCA & LCA bushings are made in India. The Idler Arm is made in the USA. All of the ball joints are made in the USA. Hmmmmm.......
Old January 4th, 2020, 08:22 AM

When were those parts bought, VC? I've seen recently bought Moog and Dana parts labeled "made in China myself", and also have used Chinese/Wagner brake cylinders, but just done so who knows how they'll last.. I've read complaints about problems with new Moog parts on other car websites (both Mopar and Chevy). such as ball joints that didn't last 10,000 miles. Not sure I'd trust "made in India" any more than "made in China", maybe even worse? Or I may be completely off-base and all of those parts will be just fine. Opinions seem to vary, which is exactly why I like to have more input on this subject if the installed replacement parts have significantly large mileages on them, if just installed it's too soon to mean much.
Old January 4th, 2020, 08:25 AM
Running On Empty

2 weeks ago