General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need ideas on how to ship a large package to Germany

Old November 25th, 2011, 05:08 PM

Need ideas on how to ship a large package to Germany

Hi All
I used Ogden Chrome to replate a 1965 Cutlass/442 front bumper for Ralph. They did a really nice job. Now I'm trying to figure out how to ship it to him at a reasonable cost. Its too large for USPS so I checked online with FedEx and UPS. Both are almost $1,000 which seems way crazy to me. There's got to be a more reasonable shipping method. Does anybody here have any ideas? John
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:14 PM
car guy

If you find out let me know. I have yet to figure any way to ship large parts international at a reasoable price. Any brokers on Uship that can help? I have never thought about trying that until just now.
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:17 PM

I've never used Uship, but will check with them to see. Thanks Richard! If an idea here works I will post it for everybody to reference.
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:25 PM

The cheapest way I mail parts to Germany is USPS but rates have gone up and there are size restrictions. I sent a B body driveshaft in a plastic pipe and I had to remove the yoke to get it legal to ship. A bumper may not go but I think they have rates by boat and it may take 3 months.
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Just an Olds Guy

John, do you know anyone in the USAF or has a buddy that can get the bumper airlifted to another buddy on the other side? I don't know if your military allows that sort of thing, but I know that troops can definitely go standby on transports to various destinations of the world, even in Canada. Just a thought....

Have you considered shipping by boat? Slow but may be less pricey.
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Jeez, I seem to recall that we had no problem delivering many tons of materials by air to dozens of German cities sixty-some-odd years ago, and most of them fell right where we wanted them to, too .

No offense, Ralph, but sometimes we don't realize, and give thanks for, how much things can change for the better! We could all have had worse problems than these if things had gone differently.

- Eric
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:15 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Jeez, I seem to recall that we had no problem delivering many tons of materials by air to dozens of German cities sixty-some-odd years ago, and most of them fell right where we wanted them to, too .

- Eric
Well.... within 5 miles was considered a near miss and within 1 mile counted as a hit.

If you get a good shipping quote I will be interested to hear who you used, I have a 200r4 sitting in a barn in Texas I want to get to the UK.

Roger.
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:53 AM

So... anybody traveling to Germany and have room for one more piece of luggage Seriously, that may be the best way to ship it but finding someone who is heading over there may be more difficult.

Eric, my father was in Europe duiring WWII in the 101 airborne and spent some time in Germany. I remember the stories he told and yes we've much to be thankful for this past Thanksgiving... and Veterans day before that . I fear we are one nut case away from another global war, and pray for our leaders regularly.

Roger, four different times I've shipped pallets of parts to Austraila and New Zealand. A couple engines, one Toro GT transaxle and one with Vista Cruiser body panels. All four times they went to a shipper in L.A. who placed them in a shipping container. The container sat until it became full, which could take a couple months. But once full off it went. That was suppose to be a lot cheaper that way. Anybody else have an experience with the slow boat method? John
Old November 26th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 2blu442
... my father was in Europe duiring WWII in the 101 airborne and spent some time in Germany. I remember the stories he told and yes we've much to be thankful for this past Thanksgiving... and Veterans day before that . I fear we are one nut case away from another global war, and pray for our leaders regularly.
Amen, brother.

My father-in-law ran a heavy-vehicle repair outfit (MSgt) and moved all through N. Africa and Italy fixing tanks and delivering them back to the front, then was shipped over to the Philippines where he was waiting to fight through Japan in early August of '45. He was one of many who was grateful to Truman.
My great uncle marched through Europe with Patton, and lost a number of toes to frostbite that winter. His German-American upbringing helped him to communicate with the locals.
My grandfather was always grateful for the hernia he suffered working in the shipyard because it made him 4F, and all the other guys on line with him at the induction center that day were shipped to the Battle of the Bulge and never came back.

I'm past the age where I'd have to go, and I've already seen some of it up close and personal, but my kid wants to volunteer in 4 years when he's old enough, so I'm just fine with avoiding as many wars as we can.

- Eric
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:05 PM

So... anybody traveling to Germany and have room for one more piece of luggage Seriously, that may be the best way to ship it but finding someone who is heading over there may be more difficult.
I've got family in Germany so someone from my place is always heading over there or coming back. Problem is, I doubt any of them could lift a bumper and I have no idea what condition it would be in after being "thrown" from plane to plane by the baggage systems.

I got a quote to ship a car from Germany to NY harbor for under 700 bucks. There's gotta be a way to ship a bumper for cheaper than a whole car. Have you thought about trying the international moving companies? They often have entire containers and will ship extra stuff "on the side". Someone just has to be there to pick it up.
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:11 PM

Thank you for your thoughts Mark. The package will weigh about 45 pounds and is about 6 feet long. The chrome company wrapped it really well and I was planning to put some extra layers of cardboard around it. I need to talk with Ralph some more and see what he can find from his end. I've never worked with international moving companies but that sounds like a good lead.
John
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:11 AM

See if you can stuff that bumper inside a plastic pipe of a proper diameter...a sono tube is too thin for protection... I sent a VC roof rack to CA in a pipe, packed the ends with paper and then foamed it and trimmed off the excess after it dried...
Old November 30th, 2011, 05:11 AM

Stick it in a 12" dia black round corrugated drain pipe? Naw - the airline people will destroy it anyway...
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:18 AM

John,

If you use a schedule 40 PVC sewer pipe either white or green it will not get crushed and you can glue end caps on. This would not get hurt in shipping and you can get it in up to 12" in diameter at a local big box hardware in 10' lengths
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:41 AM

Hi All
I used Ogden Chrome to replate a 1965 Cutlass/442 front bumper for Ralph. They did a really nice job. Now I'm trying to figure out how to ship it to him at a reasonable cost. Its too large for USPS so I checked online with FedEx and UPS. Both are almost $1,000 which seems way crazy to me. There's got to be a more reasonable shipping method. Does anybody here have any ideas? John
that's way outta line for cost.

Being in the intl Transportation biz I can tell you the best option is to make sure your CRATE it - even if only with 3/8" plywood- otherwise it
will be damaged in transit.

your best best is to look up local moving co. that advertises international shipping and /or a local intl. shipping co. like Vanguard . Not sure if they have office in Seattle / Portland area. If so they can arrange for pick up
as well as prepare all necessary export docs required to ship intl.

From WC port via Ocean shipment ( would go in container with other smaller shipments) I'm guessing shld be around $400 possible .
Don't hold me to it as I don't do much LCL shipping from WC to Europe .

Last record I had showed office in LA but terminals in Portland and Seattle

google Vanguard logistics California and see what comes up .

Rgds
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Oldsdruid

DK about cost to ship it, but the crating idea is good. See if J-(Chicago) will chime in. He shipped a dash pad and speedometer to me a couple weeks ago, crated in plywood, and it was one of the best packaging jobs I've ever seen.
Old November 30th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Loose Radical

You may want to check with a few auto brokers. If they have a car or container going to the area they may be happy to defray the cost with hitch-hikers.