General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need Help Istalling Console - 1966 442

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2018, 04:44 PM

Need Help Istalling Console - 1966 442

Hello everyone! I am installing a center console (never installed before) on my 4-speed 1966 442. I have the 3 manual mounting brackets ordered from The Parts Place (all 3 are "U" shaped with holes at the top of the "U"). when placing the console upside down I cannot for the life of me see where the 3 brackets mount to the console.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jon
Old November 3rd, 2018, 05:19 PM

Attached is a scan from the 1969 assembly manual. Check to see if your brackets match these locations. Then I'm attaching photos of the console from my 1965 442 and it shows another place that might be correct for a mount, so check that location too. Its been a few years since I messed with a manual transmission console, so I don't know if the mounts were the same for all 4 speed consoles 1964-69 or if there were differences between the years. Let us know if this solves it for you or if you still need help. John

Old November 3rd, 2018, 05:22 PM

I wanted to include an overall view of the console.

Old November 3rd, 2018, 06:48 PM

Thanks a lot!!! My 3 mounting brackets look exactly like the schematic you sent. Your pictures are also perfect. Thanks for your help John!!!

Jon
Old November 4th, 2018, 03:54 AM

4 speed console mounting.

Ironicaly I will need this in the spring. Thanks very much for posting the pictures. They will surely come in handy. BTW have you any more pictures you may have taken concerning the console. Was this situation cause because of new carpet install. Anything might be helpful for my spring project.
Wayne

Last edited by 35tac; November 4th, 2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old November 4th, 2018, 04:29 AM

I'm curious if anybody knows what the 2 large counter-sunk holes on each side in the middle of the base were ever used for??? They're obviously mounting holes but I've had a few stick shift Cutlasses & 442s over the years & I've never seen a car with brackets on the floor in that location. I thought they might be '64 only but I found a pic in the '64 service manual that shows just the standard 3 brackets??? 2blu442 is pointing to them in his 2nd picture.

Last edited by rob1960; November 4th, 2018 at 04:35 AM.
Old November 4th, 2018, 02:06 PM

Console.

Rob, I checked my 66 assembly manual and it doest show the holes either. Ill see in the spring when I pull out my console.
Wayne
Old December 10th, 2018, 04:30 AM

65-69 Console repro.

Originally Posted by rob1960
I'm curious if anybody knows what the 2 large counter-sunk holes on each side in the middle of the base were ever used for??? They're obviously mounting holes but I've had a few stick shift Cutlasses & 442s over the years & I've never seen a car with brackets on the floor in that location. I thought they might be '64 only but I found a pic in the '64 service manual that shows just the standard 3 brackets??? 2blu442 is pointing to them in his 2nd picture.

Received my repro console and those hole are there. Would be interesting to find more information about those holes. Anybody have any idea how long this console has been reproduced?
Thanks
Wayne
Old December 10th, 2018, 08:02 AM

those holes are there because that is also a mounting point where 2 screws go and yes there is a bracket there also ,present on my 4 speed cars. I would take a pic for you but my cars are in winter storage and not easily accessable and I would have to remove a console.that will have to wait for spring ,maybe someone else can get to their car easier for pics.
Old December 10th, 2018, 12:09 PM

My car is in storage. I should have pulled it before storing so I could work on it during the winter. Poor thinking. I'll just have to wait. Pictures or comments would help.
Thanks
Wayne
Old December 10th, 2018, 12:30 PM

Wayne, just curious why you are replacing your 4 speed console base? cracked, broken,or missing pieces?
Old December 10th, 2018, 12:44 PM

The current base is cracked and the back end is broken out and the broken pieces are long gone. Not to mention the base is really scuffed up. I can't tell if its a repo or the original as I don't have it out yet. The chrome parts look good but the painted sections should be redone. Carpeting is going to be replaced and I need to restore the armrest courtesy lights. Possibly also paint the floor pan if needed.
Wayne

Last edited by 35tac; December 10th, 2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old December 18th, 2018, 12:20 PM

I too am installing a new console. Those two holes have me baffled too. Please post info if you have it!
i bought my base from the Parts Place, also the rear lens and the lens holder.
i can tell you that the base is not molded right on the “rear end”.
The lens and the holder do not fit on the base properly .... in addition the base is missing an attachment hole for the holder.
I called the Parts Place on this and the dude was kind enough to pull all 3 parts and attempt to mount the lens, and holder on the base.

it does not fit right, looks quite bad, but....it is what it is was his answer.

Sure would like to see a picture of the rear end of the base pictured above.

One more thing.......
i have not been able to locate the correct screws that hold the console hinge to the console door. 3 screws
i have tried many sizes and threads to no avail
i know the screw part number is “9418653” for all the years the console was used (65-69 I believe).
i am close to trying a “10-16 x 3/8” steel thread cutting screw.
Just ordered some to see if they work. Will have then Friday.

So if anyone can help on this...much appreciated.
Old December 18th, 2018, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by jamac
I too am installing a new console. Those two holes have me baffled too. Please post info if you have it!
i bought my base from the Parts Place, also the rear lens and the lens holder.
i can tell you that the base is not molded right on the “rear end”.
The lens and the holder do not fit on the base properly .... in addition the base is missing an attachment hole for the holder.
I called the Parts Place on this and the dude was kind enough to pull all 3 parts and attempt to mount the lens, and holder on the base.

it does not fit right, looks quite bad, but....it is what it is was his answer.

Sure would like to see a picture of the rear end of the base pictured above.

One more thing.......
i have not been able to locate the correct screws that hold the console hinge to the console door. 3 screws
i have tried many sizes and threads to no avail
i know the screw part number is “9418653” for all the years the console was used (65-69 I believe).
i am close to trying a “10-16 x 3/8” steel thread cutting screw.
Just ordered some to see if they work. Will have then Friday.

So if anyone can help on this...much appreciated.

Thank you for the update. My car is in storage so I have no access to the console. When my car is available I will try to get as many pictures as I can. All I know is that my base has the lens installed. I would PM Joe Padovano on this forum and ask him if he can help in finding satisfactory fastener replacements for your needs. Extremely smart guy with a lot of this Oldsmobile stuff. Sorry I can't help but stupidly I didn't remove the console before putting my car in storage.
Wayne
Old March 25th, 2019, 07:00 PM

So I finally got my 66 home from storage and started taking things out for new carpeting and redoing my console because of broken portions and stress cracks. Turns out it is an original cosole base. May not be original to the car but it has the rear console lens that was attached to the lower tab that is not on the repo consoles unfortunately. The question is still what are the two side holes for. My car is a correct four speed car and there is no connection or ever an indication that there was something for those two side holes to be used for. Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks
Wayne

Old March 26th, 2019, 07:06 PM

I've got a 1964 Cutlass factory 4 speed car, project car that's been sitting with tags that expired in 1978. It has the two holes but no bracket for them. I wonder if this was a design that they later decided it didn't need the support? That they could save a step on the assembly line by not installing it? I'm just speculating... but the 1964 was the first year to use this console and if any years had a bracket here I would think the 1964 would. Maybe this would be a good topic to put in its own thread and ask if anyone besides the member that posted above has a car with a bracket here? Could this be something that varied between assembly plants?
Old March 27th, 2019, 05:58 AM

I owned a Fremont built L69 back in the day, and it had brackets for those 2 holes. Neither of my Lansing built 66's have them.
Old March 27th, 2019, 07:02 AM

When I freshened up my console a few years ago I just put some large trim screws in those holes using some sheet metal clips on the back side so they had something to screw into. They serve no purpose but a least the holes are plugged. I even checked the "B" body assembly manual as they also used that console back then but the floor mounts look pretty much the same as the our cars.
Old March 27th, 2019, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by rob1960
When I freshened up my console a few years ago I just put some large trim screws in those holes using some sheet metal clips on the back side so they had something to screw into. They serve no purpose but a least the holes are plugged. I even checked the "B" body assembly manual as they also used that console back then but the floor mounts look pretty much the same as the our cars.
Rob, thanks for the screw idea. I'll use it.
Wayne
Old March 31st, 2019, 05:45 AM

Console boot

Originally Posted by 35tac
The current base is cracked and the back end is broken out and the broken pieces are long gone. Not to mention the base is really scuffed up. I can't tell if its a repo or the original as I don't have it out yet. The chrome parts look good but the painted sections should be redone. Carpeting is going to be replaced and I need to restore the armrest courtesy lights. Possibly also paint the floor pan if needed.
Wayne
Old March 31st, 2019, 05:52 AM

Shift stick boot

The boot I received does not have the stick slot in the center of the boot from front to back. It is located off center from front to back. What is the correct positioning of the slot? To the rear or to the front? Can't tell very well from the current boot installed. ( pictured). Cant tell from the illustrations in the assembly manual. Could use some guidance.
Thanks
Wayne

Last edited by 35tac; March 31st, 2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old March 31st, 2019, 06:17 PM

Console boot

I got my answer.
Thanks
wayne
Old April 3rd, 2019, 05:38 PM

Console is redone annd ready to go in when carpet is in. Looks much better now. Added some screws in the mystery holes to help it look better,
Wayne

Old April 3rd, 2019, 08:42 PM

Nice! So how did you determine that the boot's slot should be biased to the rear?
Old April 4th, 2019, 04:50 AM

I took a suggestion from a friend who is pretty much spot on with suggestions. Took a closer look at how the previous boot was torn. We will see when it's installed. Finished installing sound deadener and need to do a few small things before starting on carpet.

Thanks
Wayne

Last edited by 35tac; April 4th, 2019 at 04:52 AM.