General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need Help, floor shift column missing what linkage?

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:26 PM

Need Help, floor shift column missing what linkage?

Originally Posted by 2blu442
There's a bracket that bolts to the transmission pan to hold the cable in the right location. Then there's another bracket that bolts to the actual shifter shaft coming out of the transmission that the cable will connect to. You'll need those two pieces for sure. Do you have the console with mounting brackets to attach it to the floor? How about the wiring harness for lights in the console? I think it would be easier for us to help you if you posted photos of the items you have, or made a complete list of what you have. Then we can think about what's missing. John
Quick question! I have the same floor shifter on a 71 cutlass, so for some reason I have to move steering column clock wise by hand in order to move floor shifter, same thing for reverse & parking, is there something else I have to install in order to make floor shifter work without moving column.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 03:39 PM

I don't remember which years, but yes some have a linkage that will roate the steering column collar as you shift the floor shifter. I've got a 1969 project car with this setup, but it won't be easy to get to. If you don't get a response in a week or so let me know and I'll try to get some photos of the linkage. John
Old April 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Registered

It's called the backdrive linkage, it locks the shifter linkage through the lock plate in the steering column.
It's basically the same linkage as a column shifter except that the shift selector lever on the trans has provisions for the shifter linkage and the backdrive linkage. Parts Place sells the linkage and the lever if you want to check it out, the assembly manual should show it too, can see the manual if you don't have one if you join or are a member of wildaboutcarsonline.com .
Old April 2nd, 2012, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the info. do i have to buy different shifter and do i have to do any modifications or should leave it like it is.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 06:38 PM

You might need a different bracket on the drivers front side of the trans, where the cable attaches to. The floor shift cars had a different one than the column shifted cars. I have any/all parts to make your system work, give me a call if you want & I can guide you through the installation also.
Thanks.
Scott
c. 317-727-7041
Old June 15th, 2014, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
You might need a different bracket on the drivers front side of the trans, where the cable attaches to. The floor shift cars had a different one than the column shifted cars. I have any/all parts to make your system work, give me a call if you want & I can guide you through the installation also.
Thanks.
Scott
c. 317-727-7041

Hi, hey do you still have some of these parts, I need the arm that comes off the selector, that the cable hooks to.
Old June 16th, 2014, 12:33 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

http://www.opgi.com/cutlass/1971/dri...shifters/C351/

Old June 16th, 2014, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by s i 442