General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need an appraisal

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM

Question Need an appraisal

Hi,
I work for a government agency and am trying to obtain an estimate on an old car that an even older woman owns. It is my uneducated guess the car has never had any restoration. It has been garaged for years. I just need a ball park figure what it may be valued at. It is a 1953 Oldsmobile, I guess a coupe, not sure as I know nothing about cars let alone classics. No dings, original paint etc. Has not been driven in years, not sure if it is mechanically sound. Any ideas out there?

Last edited by TRCoates; June 3rd, 2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old June 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

You're not gonna get anywhere without pictures,
also, where is the car located?

Jeff
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM

Hmmm, A secret government agency asking about a 53 olds.
Quick, everyone plead temporary insanity and don't let them break you no matter how appealing the car may sound.
I hope I don't get audited for saying this.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM

I need to rethink that Arizona swamp land purchase.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM

If it happens to be a '53 Olds Fiesta, I might be interested
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Rocketeer Jr.

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
If it happens to be a '53 Olds Fiesta, I might be interested
Hell, if it's got a good left rear quarter and tail lights, I am interested!

Jeff
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'm afraid I have to wonder if the nameless "government agency" needs this appraisal to satisfy a tax lien of some sort...
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:12 AM

OK guys, here's the unadulterated truth. I really do work for a local govt. agency. It is my job to determine the approximate value of a persons property once they are placed on conservatorship. I am trying to be a good steward and provide a realistic appraisal for the court. Nothing is for sale yet and may not be for quite some time. The elderly lady is still quite a live and well. I can not provide pictures, nor do I have much more information about the car. I only saw it once and did not give it much thought. So now any estimates?
Old June 4th, 2008, 08:38 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by TRCoates
OK guys, here's the unadulterated truth. I really do work for a local govt. agency. It is my job to determine the approximate value of a persons property once they are placed on conservatorship. I am trying to be a good steward and provide a realistic appraisal for the court. Nothing is for sale yet and may not be for quite some time. The elderly lady is still quite a live and well. I can not provide pictures, nor do I have much more information about the car. I only saw it once and did not give it much thought. So now any estimates?
With your detailed desciption and pictures I am going to go out on a limb here. It should be worth somewhere around $500.00 - $10,000.00

If you would like that written up with a formal report signed and notorized I will require a postal money order for $200.00 You will get a very detailed report of everything I know about your particular car. Do to the amout of information in the document I may have to add $2.00 paper and ink use surcharge. I will be happy to start this project with 50% deposit up front but remaining balance must be paid before document will be shipped. All fees are less freight.

PS Welcome to Classic Oldsmobile

Last edited by gearheads78; June 4th, 2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old June 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Unfortunately, pictures are the only way to give a close-to-fair value on it. A VERY detailed description ~may~ get you within sight of the ballpark, but surely not inside. Whether it runs is another big issue as well.

Just borrow a digital camera and post some pics right here on this board with the "manage attachments" feature.

As gearhead78 mentioned, the value range is huge depending on outside condition, inside condition, mechanical condition, miles, originality, amount of rust, etc.

Pictures are worth 1000 words, as they say...
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Unfortunately, pictures are the only way to give a close-to-fair value on it. A VERY detailed description ~may~ get you within sight of the ballpark, but surely not inside. Whether it runs is another big issue as well.
My experience with verbal descriptions has been poor at best. Apparently the term "no rust ever" is subject to interpretation...

Franklly, photos are not that great either. There's really no substitute for an in-person inspection.
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:45 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There's really no substitute for an in-person inspection.
You can say that again and again and again.
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Past Administrator

TR, please excuse our speculation but you just haven't given us much to go with. To be fair and honest we can't say anything for any value, hence gearhead's comments (which made me laugh by the way). Your best bet would be to contact your local Oldsmobile Club of America chapter and ask for a member to view the car and give you an appraisal. If you search the phrase OCA you will find some information on how to contact them. Good luck in your endeavor.
Old June 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Doesn't the municipality or county you work for have someone qualified to asses the value of the car? If you can't get someone from the local OCA to look at it then you might be able to go to the local auto auction and have them look at it.