General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need advice for 46 olds Series 66 4 door sedan

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2015, 09:53 PM
1946 Oldsmobile Series 66

Need advice for 46 olds Series 66 4 door sedan

Have a 1946 Series 66 Olds. It's a fairly well kept 4 door sedan that i'm restoring to look factory from the outside and interior. However I'd like to put a more reliable engine and trans in it. I'm not looking for a hot rod necessarily, just something reliable for weekend drives and cruising a small town. My question, what would be a good engine and trans to put in my 46 olds with a budget of $2500 to $3000? Thank you!

(p.s. I'm definitely planning on disc brakes and converting from 6 volts to 12 obviously)
Old February 15th, 2015, 12:12 AM

Olds in an Olds

Originally Posted by AudioScape
Have a 1946 Series 66 Olds. It's a fairly well kept 4 door sedan that i'm restoring to look factory from the outside and interior. However I'd like to put a more reliable engine and trans in it. I'm not looking for a hot rod necessarily, just something reliable for weekend drives and cruising a small town. My question, what would be a good engine and trans to put in my 46 olds with a budget of $2500 to $3000? Thank you!

(p.s. I'm definitely planning on disc brakes and converting from 6 volts to 12 obviously)
You'd be going against the grain on this "all Olds all the time" site if you put anything but an Olds engine in it. My recommendation would be a 350 cubic inch Olds V8. Others can advise as to best year but with your restricted budget any 350 that is in good shape and has its own transmission attached would be your best bet.
You could do a small block Chevy V8 but I don't know that it would be much less expensive. Someone here will have a good running 350 Olds. Likely somebody who wants to move up to a 455 or already has.

A good move to put disc brakes on the front and someone out there has a kit for doing that. You are letting yourself in for a different master cylinder once you go to disc-drum front and rear and you may as well get a vacuum booster and have power brakes. A great thing about Classic Olds is that there are a multitude of forums and sub-forums covering things like brakes, engine swaps, wiring etc. It is like striking gold-- metaphorically speaking. If you don't know how already learn to search the threads. Members who do their homework first seem to get better, faster help.

Very little cost in going from 6 to 12 volts and another good decision on your part.

Final bit of advice, get yourself over to the Vintage Olds part of this site and look for a thread titled "46 to 48 Olds, how many have them?" There are maybe 30 or so owners of 40s Olds who check in there fairly regularly and contribute ideas and help each other with parts and problems.
Jerry