General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.
View Poll Results: What are your preferences for buckling up?
Lap belt only
30.00%
Lap belt and shoulder restraint
57.50%
My car didn't come with seat belts
5.00%
I don't wear 'em even if I got 'em...
7.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

The necessary evil??

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2012, 02:31 PM

For my year it's a three point belt. The shoulder restraint is attached to the lap restraint, so it's both or nothing. I wear both. Although I was of the opinion that if a citizen did not want to wear a seat belt, that was his choice. However the government could have a choice as well. If he gets hurt in an accident without wearing a seatbelt (and they are in the news atleast once a month), the system would still treat him and take care of him, however he would have to pay all the medical bills back over his lifetime.

Last edited by 442much; February 20th, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:37 PM
69CuttyS

My 69 Cutlass came with lap belts, so that's all I wear. Obviously, shoulder straps weren't an option with convertibles, at least in my year, so that's not a discussion. Now if I had a 72 hard top, I might consider installing factory correct shoulder straps...
Old February 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by KeithA0000
.... Obviously, shoulder straps weren't an option with convertibles, at least in my year, so that's not a discussion. ....
I don't think that's true. IIRC, shoulder belts could be ordered in a 'vert, but it was a complicated, clumsy affair that hindered access to the rear seats...& nobody ordered them..

I'm sure there are others on here who can clarify....
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:22 PM

Lap belts only in the 57 and the 48. not going to try and install shoulder belts in either.
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldzy
Am I missing something about 72's being different design? My '72 has two separate belts for driver and passenger... for a total of 4 belts and 4 buckles on each side. The shoulder belt does not buckle to the lap one at all.
Check your owners manual. The 72 model year had 2 different sets of Occupant Restraint Belts. One is the "One Buckle" system; the other is the "Two Buckle" system. They are written up on page 6 of the 72 OM. Sounds like you have the "Two Buckle" system in your car. In that case you also won't have the 'fasten seat belt' warning buzzer or light. The manual also states the shoulder belt MUST be fastened to the inboard fastener to prevent serious injury.

So, how many of you actually read the Owners Manual on this topic? Most people I know (myself included) read it only when searching for an answer. That means that the 'two buckle' system could actually be more dangerous than the 'one buckle' system if the owner hooked it up wrong and was involved in a crash. Yes, I know. They should read the manual first......but seriously, how many do???
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Don't need no stinkin manuals.

Last edited by oldzy; February 20th, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yeah, point taken Ken. Does that mean you don't have one?
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:20 PM

Nope. I have both US and CA versions, as well as the Emission Control Systems manual. Never really read any of them, not thoroughly anyway.
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldzy
Nope. I have both US and CA versions, as well as the Emission Control Systems manual. Never really read any of them, not thoroughly anyway.
Me too. I rest my case....
Do you need one of those plastic jackets the manuals and PP came in? I have some spares - not the prettiest but they aren't horrible either
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:36 PM

I think I have one around when I got these manuals off feebay a while back. Will have to check again and let you know, thanks.

And I just learned something new from the OM... 'S' is 'Super Range' for when 'super performance' is needed. All this time I thought it meant 'Second'. I prefer the super performance over the basic second gear thingy.
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yup, you'd be surprised how many people don't know what PRNDSL means. I guess I'm lucky. Dad told me about it when he bought our first 72 out of Don Wheatons showroom. It was one of the first delivered here in Edmonton. I loved when he brought that car around to school and let me drive it home or on trips. (It was matador red and looked like it was moving even when it wasn't - I loved that car!)

I think that's why they ended up going to the PRND321 or using the Overdrive symbol on the D. Can't think of many people that actually use the 321 feature though
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:13 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Hmmmm... I recall that '72s have a single buckle, probably because my Skylark did, but I can't quote the law chapter and verse on that one.

I could look it up later if I had to, though.

Could it have been a mid-year change?

- Eric
nope , mine has two seperate belts for lap and shoulder too
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by KeithA0000
My 69 Cutlass came with lap belts, so that's all I wear. Obviously, shoulder straps weren't an option with convertibles, at least in my year, so that's not a discussion. Now if I had a 72 hard top, I might consider installing factory correct shoulder straps...
Factory installed shoulder belts were an available (but very rare) option in convertibles as far back as the 1966 model year. They are shown in the Fisher Body Manual. A friend of mine has a 1967 GTO convertible with factory shoulder belts.
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
nope , mine has two seperate belts for lap and shoulder too
Brian/Eric - it starts on page 6 of your owners manual ^^^.... So, yes it could have been planned as a changeup for the midstream model year.
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:37 PM

I've posted this before in other threads, but for those that don't know, you could have gotten front seat shoulder belts in convertibles, & rear seat shoulder belts in coupes, sedans, & wagons. I found this out a few years ago as I was looking through the assembly? manual during my Vista resto. There are threaded nuts already installed in the wheel well area behind the 2nd seat in the Vista's & if you had the third seat, they could be had in that position as well. The mounting points are already there also, between the upper vista window & the side glass. Who knew???
In the coupes & sedans, the mounting points are located in the C pillar area I believe?? Good to know if you want to add shoulder belts for rear seat passengers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 3723.jpg (59.5 KB, 12 views)
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:31 PM

my convertible has them - I have only seen them on one 69 GTO convertible and another 1970 442 convertible. I'm sure there were plenty that came with them but they are a hassle, A neat novelty but everyone that sits in the back seat tries to take the shoulder belt and use it as their lap belt. I bet many cars that had them folks took them out. On convertibles they mount to the side where the top cylinders are.

The rear shoulder belts mounted to the metal divider between the back seat and the trunk. I have seen the instructions in the Green 1970 Fischer Body manual not the assembly manual.