General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

NC DMV and taxes

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2015, 08:22 PM
344879M363895

NC DMV and taxes

We went to the DMV today to get the 442 into NC title. They said that someone from the DMV enforcement will have to come out and inspect the car. Has anyone here been through this process? What can I expect? I suspect part of it has to do with NC personal property taxes. So they will probably be placing a value on it.

Also, I have to get it done within the next year or they say I won't get the title. Not a problem, but at least they didn't say a week...or a month. Might not make those deadlines since I'm still trying to figure out how/when I'm getting the car here to NC.
Old August 13th, 2015, 08:36 PM

NC can be rough on the assessed value for tax purposes. I have had friends go through ordeals getting their cars titled. A friend with a 70 Rally was taxed to the point he couldn't afford to pay the taxes on the car. It took him a few weeks to get it all worked out.

They are inspecting the car to insure it is what it is. I have had it done myself in NC and here in Alabama. It's not really an issue. Some vehicles pop up on the need to be inspected list due to vehicle counterfeiting in the past. A couple of guys in NC were registering newly built cars built with all new components, including the body and frames, and registering them as original 1930's Model A's. In the case of your car they might be checking to see if the VIN has been altered. There's a big difference between the value of a 442 and a base Cutlass.

Good Luck
Old August 14th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Oldsdruid

NC has changed vehicle titling and licensing so much the last few years I can't help. I'm PM'ing you a name of someone who might be able to help you straighten it out.
Old August 14th, 2015, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
We went to the DMV today to get the 442 into NC title. They said that someone from the DMV enforcement will have to come out and inspect the car. Has anyone here been through this process? What can I expect? I suspect part of it has to do with NC personal property taxes. So they will probably be placing a value on it.

Also, I have to get it done within the next year or they say I won't get the title. Not a problem, but at least they didn't say a week...or a month. Might not make those deadlines since I'm still trying to figure out how/when I'm getting the car here to NC.

i just went through this with my truck project, in NC after a certain time of not being titled/tagged, they require inspection, to make sure safety, and it's not stolen

my truck was put together from 3 different trucks, and the frame had been stolen/recovered in 1985, and the VIN tag was tampered with... DMV enforcement inspector came out, he was pretty cool, and checked everything, since VIN was tampered with, they confiscated it, and have assigned me a NC VIN... i had to get it bonded for 1 1/2 times the tax value, then get the title

you can go to the tag office, and request a tax value, and they can give it to you. they can give you a non-operational title as well, if it is going to sit a long time while you work on it, that way they don't charge you taxes until it is actually insured/inspected/tagged

good luck let me know if i can answer any more questions, if your car isn't stolen etc. it should be painless

what part of NC are you in?

Last edited by naphtali5725; August 14th, 2015 at 05:24 AM.
Old August 14th, 2015, 05:23 AM

I to live in nc and last week titled two cars, 1979 hurst olds
And 1975 TA , no questions asked in and out
Try going to a smaller privately run dmv.
Old August 14th, 2015, 06:48 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by rocketraider
NC has changed vehicle titling and licensing so much the last few years I can't help. I'm PM'ing you a name of someone who might be able to help you straighten it out.
I received your PM. Thanks. Not currently having issues with it but it is good to have a contact just in case.
Old August 14th, 2015, 06:49 AM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by naphtali5725
i just went through this with my truck project, in NC after a certain time of not being titled/tagged, they require inspection, to make sure safety, and it's not stolen

my truck was put together from 3 different trucks, and the frame had been stolen/recovered in 1985, and the VIN tag was tampered with... DMV enforcement inspector came out, he was pretty cool, and checked everything, since VIN was tampered with, they confiscated it, and have assigned me a NC VIN... i had to get it bonded for 1 1/2 times the tax value, then get the title

you can go to the tag office, and request a tax value, and they can give it to you. they can give you a non-operational title as well, if it is going to sit a long time while you work on it, that way they don't charge you taxes until it is actually insured/inspected/tagged

good luck let me know if i can answer any more questions, if your car isn't stolen etc. it should be painless

what part of NC are you in?
I'm in the Charlotte area. That is good to know on the non-operational title. Not sure how long it will be sitting, but depending on the value they place on it, it could very sell save me some $$$, as you mentioned.