General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

My mistake?? What is your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2014, 02:35 PM

My mistake?? What is your opinion?

I bought this headlight switch off ebay but after getting it I find it in NOT what I thought i was getting. I had not looked at the box in the picture, just the switch. It is a TRW part (number DR-131R) and not GM. Did TRW make them for GM? I think his ad was very misleading. I don't often buy from someone with less than 99% feedback but he had 98.9 with MANY listings. Should i leave bad feedback? I am ok with using it but it is not what I thought I was getting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271081821883...84.m1439.l2649
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Administrator

It says service part, which can mean a lot of things. Does it fit and function?
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:20 PM

I just hate when they can get away with something like that. NO mention of TRW anywhere and then use the GM part number after "original GM dealer service part".

Here are his words.

"Here for sale is a new, NOS, OEM, original GM dealer service part, 1995199, 1967-69 Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Nova, headlight switch"
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I bought this headlight switch off ebay but after getting it I find it in NOT what I thought i was getting. I had not looked at the box in the picture, just the switch. It is a TRW part (number DR-131R) and not GM. Did TRW make them for GM? I think his ad was very misleading. I don't often buy from someone with less than 99% feedback but he had 98.9 with MANY listings. Should i leave bad feedback? I am ok with using it but it is not what I thought I was getting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271081821883...84.m1439.l2649
Are you saying that the BOX says TRW, or the SWITCH? GM never sold anything at the parts counter labeled "TRW".
Old January 17th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It looks like the right switch, and should work fine.

It did cost about 2½ times as much as one you can get at the corner auto parts store, but since it's older, it may be better made.

It is definitely NOT an "original GM dealer service part," as stated in the eBay listing.

- Eric
Old January 17th, 2014, 04:23 PM

The box is TRW and orange. The part only has made in USA. I don't have a problem using it but I assumed it was GM NOS. Had I known it was TRW I would have not bought it. Not that i don't trust TRW, I was just looking for an NOS GM part made by the GM manufacturer.
Old January 17th, 2014, 04:26 PM

Have you contacted the seller? He may be willing to make an adjustment if his error was brought to his attention.
Old January 17th, 2014, 04:31 PM

Deliberately misleading I would say. If it were me I would go with the negative feedback. Future buyers need to be informed of this kind of behavior.
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:58 PM

The more I think about it the more I don't like it. I just sent this message. We will see what happens. If nothing happens at least it is still a usable part made in USA.

This headlight switch is NOT an "OEM original service part". It is a TRW aftermarket part with a DR-131R part number. If I wanted aftermarket I would have gotten it at my local parts store for 1/3 the price. I would like a full refund for this switch.
Old January 17th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I do believe the ad was misleading. If the switch is made in the USA it probably is better than what you would get at the local parts store. I would try emailing the seller first.
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:04 PM

You should have read more carefully
He who has not made that mistake, raise your hand....
Yeah...

OTOH
He should have been more straightforward.
The wording and careful box positioning smack of deceit. Feigned iggernance.

Just like the convenient supply of rare number carbs that "came in with a lot of other stuff, so I don't know"

At least my ads for replica parts state that repeatedly and in bright lettering.
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:22 PM

Your complaint is legit, the part doesn't match the description..
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:36 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

if you don't like his response , go to the resolution center where you tab on the spot where it says " not as discribed. " and explain the same as you did in your seller contact, but do it thru the resolution process via ebay email and you can return item for full refund if he agrees or even accepy partial refund and save on shipping it back.
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by lunaboy
if you don't like his response , go to the resolution center where you tab on the spot where it says " not as discribed. " and explain the same as you did in your seller contact, but do it thru the resolution process via ebay email and you can return item for full refund if he agrees or even accepy partial refund and save on shipping it back.
+1. I did this once. Bought a used cell phone to replace one my kid had run through the washer. I knew his screen was good, so I bought one that said "I dropped it and broke the screen" as the only problem.
I went through the Resolution Center after I informed the seller that she had neglected to mention that it had also been disassembled, an internal plug broken, and screws missing. She said, "Oh, yeah, and that stuff, too."

After one round through the Resolution Center, I had the full price, including shipping, refunded, all within a week.

- Eric
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:38 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

For $23 + shipping is it worth getting wound up about?.

There is a principle of honest trading here, and none of us want to be suckered into a rip-off.
On the other hand it's not a lot of money.

Have you got a part identical to what should be in your car other than it came in the wrong box?, or is it an aftermarket item you could buy over the counter at an auto parts store?.
Could anyone tell it isn't exactly the right part when it has been fitted, or would an Oldsmobile savvy person spot the error?. Apart from you of course, but you have inside information.

I'm not in your shoes, but unless the seller has some history of deliberately misleading buyers I would chalk it up to experience.

Roger.
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by rustyroger
For $23 + shipping is it worth getting wound up about?.
It's $32, including shipping, for a $13 part, and it's the principle of the thing.

You blokes could have turned around and left France in 1940 (or in 1914), and been none the worse for it - heck, you didn't even like the French (who does?) - but there was that matter of the principle of the thing, you know.

- Eric
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:20 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by MDchanic
It's $32, including shipping, for a $13 part, and it's the principle of the thing.

You blokes could have turned around and left France in 1940 (or in 1914), and been none the worse for it - heck, you didn't even like the French (who does?) - but there was that matter of the principle of the thing, you know.

- Eric

I had my eyes crossed when I read the price, my error.

Better than walking away from France would have been ignoring Polands little difficulty in 1939. But that wasn't a $32 (or $13) part.

Sorry, moderators, I wont make any more posts on this thread. Eric, I still value your opinions and views.

Roger.
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ah, but it was the principle.

The German foreign minster von Jagow truly couldn't believe that the English would stand by the French for nothing more than "that piece of paper" (their alliance treaty), as the Kaiser had nothing against the English.

Granted, World War I stands at or near the pinnacle of Very Bad Ideas throughout history, but could the English have simply backed away? No chance of it.

Same thing here. It's a matter of a $20 bill, really, but it's the principle of the thing.
Call me pig-headed, but I'd spend a few hundred bucks on legal fees to get it back if I had to.

- Eric
Old January 18th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Administrator

The French weren't selling this part...how did we get here?
Old January 18th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Simply relating a small decision, on a personal level, that might be against the strictest interpretation of self interest (fight for a refund of a small amount of money when it may cost more time and energy than the money is worth) with some similarly principled decisions on a national level, which may also have been against the strictest definition of national self-interest, but which were nonetheless necessary, as an explanation by way of appeal to national pride.

The Brits stuck their heads right in the hornets' nest, knowing they'd be bitten badly, because they knew it was the right thing to do. If one can see that that had to be done, then one can see why he's got to get his 20 bucks back.

-Eric
Old January 18th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Well, since you put it that way...
Old January 18th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Self-prescribed Newbie

I thought political discussion was discouraged here. Even if the politics are from a century ago!

If the seller refuses to refund or fix the problem, then disputing with Paypal (who you usually go through for payment on eBay) almost always results in the buyer receiving a refund. I wish you the best of luck.
Old January 18th, 2014, 12:32 PM

i dunno..you bought it,you are an experienced buyer and seller...it is NOS..just NOSR...pics right there...

wear the shoe...you bought it...i've bought stuff a bunch and realized i made a mistake..never made the mistake again..cheap lesson

IF there was no pic...then you have a complaint...just sayin'
Old January 18th, 2014, 01:15 PM

Does anyone know if TRW didn't make and supply these to GM ?

It may be that if you bought a 1995199 over the GM dealer's counter and opened the GM box, you'd find this exact part (a TRW DR-131R with no markings except 'Made in USA').

If that's the case, the only difference would be the box.....

Old January 18th, 2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
i dunno..you bought it,you are an experienced buyer and seller...it is NOS..just NOSR...pics right there...

wear the shoe...you bought it...i've bought stuff a bunch and realized i made a mistake..never made the mistake again..cheap lesson

IF there was no pic...then you have a complaint...just sayin'
I don't dispute that it is NOS, Just not a GM NOS part like the listing implies. Yes, I am an experienced seller but I would be MUCH more open about what I had listed.
Old January 18th, 2014, 02:55 PM

I got his reply... We will see what happens...

Wow, I had no idea idea it os aftemarket.
All this vintage stuff we have belongs to the company owner, he did all the research on these items, believe me when I say this, I have run into this many times in the near past
All the items are in boxes, all GM parts boxes, so I can only assume whats listed on the box, is in the box
I have no problem issuing a refund, and I am truely sorry for the mix up
I will be in tomorrow, if I dont issue a refund tomorrow, it will be on Monday
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Administrator

That was easy!
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:53 PM

most people on ebay are good people....i'm glad it worked out for you...
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:10 AM

Turned out to be ok. He refunded the money today. The box didn't have there address on it so I ask for there address so I could send it back and he said to keep it and was sorry for the trouble. I would send it back but I can't locate there address.

At first I was just going to let it go but I think what I did was best. Thanks for all the thoughts.
Old January 21st, 2014, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
most people on ebay are good people....i'm glad it worked out for you...
Agreed. And even those who aren't good people really hate negative feedback, so they'll so almost anything to avoid it.