General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

My forgotten Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2020, 12:31 PM

My forgotten Oldsmobile

The other day as my wife and I are exiting the garage I did what I frequently do to get a rise out of my wife and and talk to my car !! as I pass the Olds I pat her on the right front fender and say "your my first and only baby " and I of course get the inevitable eye roll from my wife !
We get in the Jeep to run our errand and as were driving my wife says to me "you know you lied to your other woman just like you lie to me when you told her she was your first and only" I said how so ? she said "she's not your first and only Oldsmobile" I thought for a minute and said OMG your correct !!
Back in 1984 when we moved to AZ. we brought only one veh (on a tow dolly behind a Ryder truck) a 1980 Mazda 626, my wife sold her 1968 Galaxie prior to our departure, once we got here we found quite quickly we would require two vehicles, so I started a search and found in a local Penny Saver type paper a 1967 Olds 88
I went to the sellers house and a young lady holding a child answered the door she said she was the seller and it was around the side of the house, we go take a look and it's a four door Olds 88 , bronze with a black vinyl top and gold interior (looked like a couch out of a turn of the century brothel) fac air and power windows and a 455 with a 2bbl a real land yacht !! it was really straight, as I inspected the veh all I could really find was the upper control arm bushings were shot ( common ) and the paint had long surrendered to The AZ. sun other than that it was a solid veh, I remember asking her why she was getting rid of it she said her parents (now with Grandchildren) thought she should have a newer more fuel efficient and reliable veh and they bought her a new car, so we made the deal.
I was not worried about fuel milage I only worked about 3 miles away. I put in a new set of upper control arm bushings and nothing else !! I relinquished the Mazda to my wife and used that Olds every day as my work car ( how could I forget her) for about 2 years.
As some time happens a fantastic deal on another veh came down the pipe and the Olds went up for sale, I put a add in the same Penny Saver that I found it. A guy comes to look at it , pops the hood gets a big ole $hit eating grin on his face and ask for the keys, he starts it, steps on the gas heavy a few times and looks out behind the car NO SMOKE he says I'LL take it !! I said dont ya want to drive it ? everything works, Not interested he said I only want that 455 !!! you see I'm building a Jet boat and that's my new motor !! Apparently 455 Olds motors 454 Chevy motors and 460 ford motors were the thing to have in jets boats at the time so away my Olds went
In retrospect kind of sad my trusty Olds was cannibalized but at the time it was nothing more to me than a point A to point B transportation car. I wouldn't mind having it back it was a good solid cruiser !!

Old August 20th, 2020, 01:51 PM
Administrator

I wish I could remember all the cars I've had over the years, However I do know I only had 2 Oldsmobiles. My current and my first, both 67 Cutlii.
Old August 20th, 2020, 02:01 PM

I'm surprised the 425 wasn't still in the 67 88
Old August 20th, 2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I'm surprised the 425 wasn't still in the 67 88
I stand corrected sir Typo on my part, it was a 1968 Olds 88
Old August 21st, 2020, 07:44 AM

Cool story, thanks for sharing.

I still have Oldsmobiles #2 and #3. I sold #1 years ago, oh well. Most of the other vehicles I've owned aren't even worth mentioning...