General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Is my car real?

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2017, 03:03 PM

Is my car real?

Hey guys I just bought an 83 Hurst olds and I'm wondering how to tell if it is real or not any help would be appreciated. Its been repainted so there are no tags in door or trunk.

Last edited by Shanco; November 4th, 2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old November 4th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Olds Fever

Welcome to the group... To help verify the 83 Hurst, the eight digit of the VIN should be a "9", Also look for a W40 Code on the SPID label usually located on the underside of the truck lid... The trim tag on the cowl may also show the W40 code... Also, you may still be able to find a build sheet showing the W40 code, these are quite often located in a seat frame, most often in the rear seat but can be in the front as well...

Last edited by CRUZN 66; November 4th, 2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old November 4th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Congrats and welcome to the site, post some pictures when you get a chance.
Old November 4th, 2017, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Shanco
I'm wondering how to yell if it is real or not any help would be appreciated.
I would suggest going to the top floor of your house, opening the window wide, getting a bullhorn, taking a deep breath, and shouting it at the top of your lungs.
Old November 4th, 2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I would suggest going to the top floor of your house, opening the window wide, getting a bullhorn, taking a deep breath, and shouting it at the top of your lungs.

I was going to tell him to go out and look it over, listen to it run, smell the exhaust (indirectly), touch the wheel, and I guess lick the hood ornament to get all five senses in to determine if, in fact, it is real and not imaginary, but he is not yet seasoned to our wit.

Anyway, welcome, dude. People here like pictures and video, and we kid around. I am NOT a G body guy (I do the 67), but, the interior should be either a gray or a maroon, there should be that funky lightning rods shifter, there (I think there's a special overdrive trans) and both the engine and trans should match the vin derivative. The Hurst badging should all say 15th anniversary. It has the smaller rear end, different from the one in the 84.

There's a good group of people, the Hurst Olds Club of America, that you should join, and they have experts galore on these. The membership director gets annoyed at me when I pronounce it "the hoekuh," (it's pronounced with all 4 individual letters, hah.)