General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

MuscleCar Review Magazine Oldsmobile spread

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2016, 07:42 PM

MuscleCar Review Magazine Oldsmobile spread

If you guys and girls don't get it delivered to your house go to your nearest Barnes and Noble to pick up the February addition of MuscleCar review Magazine or possibly find it online. Finally a large great spread on Oldsmobiles, I may have to continue with my subscription for another year.

Sean
Old January 11th, 2016, 09:23 PM
Kjr442

thank you
Old January 12th, 2016, 03:30 PM

Totally agree - it's a great magazine!

I just renewed my subscription for another year, only $7.50!

Last edited by TenMidgets; January 13th, 2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old January 13th, 2016, 09:10 AM

Waiting for mine any day now. It comes just a few days after my "Hot Rod" subscription and I got it on Monday. Good to hear they're off the Road Runners, Chevelles and GTO's for a change
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:35 AM
Olds Nut

Did anyone notice that the Silver 70 post 442 owned by Bimbi, it states all original car but the fenders are from 71-72? Also i thought the alternator was to be an open face???
Old January 21st, 2016, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by m455sx
Did anyone notice that the Silver 70 post 442 owned by Bimbi, it states all original car but the fenders are from 71-72? Also i thought the alternator was to be an open face???
I noticed that too... from seeing it in person, the car has a driver quality non-original paint job on it now, and the fender 442 number placement doesn't match side to side, so there's no way it's an original survivor. It's a cool car, but it's been maintained and messed with to some extent. Engine painted, etc...

Last edited by 83hurstguy; January 21st, 2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old January 21st, 2016, 12:18 PM

The articles in magazines are about as accurate as what you read on the net. Hot Rod claims our 4 speed Jetfire was completely original and still on its original tires with mint interior. The car has been repainted and tires replaced. The interior is nice but far from mint.
Old January 21st, 2016, 12:31 PM

The Steve Minore article was priceless.
Old January 21st, 2016, 12:33 PM

Look at the business he is in, selling cars.

Why do you think people use the term "used car salesman"?
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:05 PM

I'm very blessed to be able to do what I do for a living, so thank you for the complement. I can only hope that you feel the same regarding your job and vocation.

I did not write the article. I answered a host of technical questions the best I could. I certainly have never described the car as a "Survivor", nor would I describe it as all original or a concours best of show car.

One fender is original and one has been replaced with NOS. Best I could find out it still has the paint job it wore in the 1980's when the first owner sold it.

I do describe it as a nice driver.

Anyone have a correct alternator for my wife's W-30 ?
Old January 21st, 2016, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stefano
I do describe it as a nice driver.
That's a good assessment. Would be a fun car to drive on nice weather days and maintain, yet still be very presentable.
Old January 21st, 2016, 09:22 PM
Senior Moment Member

Stefano, we all know your stuff is top notch and you are an honest guy. No question on that. I haven't read the Mag yet but will. Can't wait!
Old January 21st, 2016, 10:36 PM
Rocket Renegade!

I haven't really looked at MCR since Dobbs Publishing sold it to Petersen. It took a big hit editorially, its articles pandered to the lowest common denominator and all they seemed to cover was Cranberry Red SS Chevelles, B-3 Blue Roadrunners and Hugger Orange Camaros. As well, most of the technical guys who had a clue got canned. Only muscle car rag I look at any more is Hemmings, and even that's fairly infrequent.

Having said that, maybe I'll see if I can pick up a copy just for the Olds article. Thanks!
Old January 21st, 2016, 10:53 PM

In reading Stefano's postings it is clear that he goes out of his way to NOT deceive, regarding either cars or parts.

Good detective work tracking the owner history of the post coupe.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ctls442
In reading Stefano's postings it is clear that he goes out of his way to NOT deceive, regarding either cars or parts.

Good detective work tracking the owner history of the post coupe.
I agree.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 03:36 AM

Very enjoyable article to read. The owner should be proud.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 03:45 AM

Great magazine, great articles, even a little coverage of my W-31 snuck in there:-)

That was a real trip meeting Steven J Minore, and Tim Murphy......and they were enjoying my car and all the original parts in the trunk.

Ryan
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:06 AM

I think it's great that the powers to be at 'Muscle Car Review' decided to focus on Oldsmobile.

I spent a lot of time checking out Ryan's W-31. I actually prefer to see cars in their original state and patina. It's such a Kool car on many levels.

Congrats on the ink!
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:41 AM

All the information in a magazine is subject to a few things. One is the story really honest? and second, did the guy getting the information listen and take accurate notes or third is he saying what will make an article sell?
I worked for a guy years ago and we built cars some classics some wild exotic and some just cars that were driven. In a magazine last summer was a car that two of us who worked for him built for him and his wife. In the article it states how it had various options all original to that car and how it was a survivor prior to the restoration. The car a 59 Pontiac Catalina convertible was when we got it a portion of a car. It had no floors, no front end, no engine or trans, and was wrecked in the rear. We ended up taking floors from a hardtop and a complete rear body section of another car to make the body tub good. We then found three parts cars. One was a 59 Bonneville that ran and drove. We used the front sheetmetal and the engine and trans was krylon rebuilt (per his request) and a 64 tripower was added. We then found a set of 8 lug wheels and put them on it. It was then painted and the interior was a combination of about 6 cars we found parts from. Then all redone. The car was and is gorgeous now that it is done. However, it is not an original 59 tripower car, it did not come with 8 lug wheels and it does not have all of it's original sheetmetal. But, the way he would state it was, " it has all original sheetmetal, and it has factory tripower"
He would purposely say it so it sounded like it was all original to that car. But, it was far from that.
I am not suggesting that is the case on this car. It just goes to show you that some people say or do what works out best for them. Be it the car owner or the person creating the article. Makes it frustrating for sure. Like what has already been said. What is read on line and in magazines is not always true or accurate.

I too enjoyed seeing a magazine covering much about the cars we are nuts for.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 07:19 AM

When I attended the 2010 OCA Nationals in Sturbridge MA, I met Steve Magnante (for MCR) who looked the Rund car over thoroughly and took a lot of notes and photos. A few minor errors crept in, even after I checked the draft, but the article (12/2010) was well written. Unfortunately, most writers are not as knowledgeable and eager to learn more, and as desirous of accuracy, as Steve.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stefano
I think it's great that the powers to be at 'Muscle Car Review' decided to focus on Oldsmobile.

I spent a lot of time checking out Ryan's W-31. I actually prefer to see cars in their original state and patina. It's such a Kool car on many levels.

Congrats on the ink!
Thanks Stefano!!!!

Ryan
Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:42 AM

Jerry Heasley featured my F85 442 Club Coupe in his Rare Finds column in MCR. The interview was done over the phone and once our interview hit print it sounded nothing like what we talked about. And it read like a 3rd grader wrote it.

I love print magazines and still buy them to read. I had a hard time getting over the inaccuracies in print and the carelessness of today's media. But Id rather put up with the errors than not have magazines to read.

The best thing we can do is write the magazines when they they screw up. They usually will run a correction in the letters to editor section. HMM did that with an email I sent over their 65 442 buyers guide.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 12:55 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by Ryan 1969 Chevelle SS396
Thanks Stefano!!!!

Ryan
I agree with Stefano. It was really nice to see one stand the test of time so to speak.

Also, it's nice to see someone excited about the jem he found. Good luck with it Ryan!

Troy
Old January 22nd, 2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by TK-65
The best thing we can do is write the magazines when they they screw up. They usually will run a correction in the letters to editor section. HMM did that with an email I sent over their 65 442 buyers guide.
I sent a letter to HMM shortly after they started publication, pointing out some errors they printed about Oldsmobiles. I offered to fact check future Olds stuff if they'd like. I never even got a thank you or acknowledgement.

To be fair, the world of newspapers and magazines is all about deadlines. If you want facts, read a book (and even then, be a skeptic).