General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Mourning the Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2020, 11:25 AM

maybe an electric vehicle with a manual transmission ... just throwing it out there

it may not be considered (necessary) by the manufacturers, but gearheads could figure out something with an electric with a multi speed manual (more low end & more top end is always good

thinking outside the box - maybe too outside - in 1920 no one would have thought they would be driving a vehicle on the moon, 4 wheel electric drive no less
Old September 14th, 2020, 11:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Cosmic Charlie
maybe an electric vehicle with a manual transmission ... just throwing it out there

it may not be considered (necessary) by the manufacturers, but gearheads could figure out something with an electric with a multi speed manual (more low end & more top end is always good
When your electric motor makes maximum torque at zero RPM, there isn't much need for a transmisison - plus it reduces efficiency due to frictional losses. On the other hand, GM's eCOPO Camaro race car puts a TH400 behind the electric motor. I suspect that had more to do with easily converting an existing race car from gas to electric.

thinking outside the box - maybe too outside - in 1920 no one would have thought they would be driving a vehicle on the moon, 4 wheel electric drive no less
Unfortunately, in 1972 no one thought it would be well over half a century before we'd ever see that again...
Old September 14th, 2020, 01:54 PM
Running On Empty

No one landed on the Moon - it was filmed in Hollywood in a studio & the Earth is flat.
Old September 14th, 2020, 02:10 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
No one landed on the Moon - it was filmed in Hollywood in a studio & the Earth is flat.
As I've said before, in 1969 it was easier to go to the moon than to fake it.
Old September 14th, 2020, 03:58 PM

Hi,

Its sad, but very true, although it all depends upon demand, I have a Ram 2500, searched for a used Hemi Stick, back in 2014, found a 07, 08 was the last year in a truck, GM was 04-06 and not sure on Ford, but not even sure if you can get a Ram with a Diesel and a stick still.

I just ordered a new Challenger 6 speed, the automatics are actually faster, but a lot of people get a stick for preference, like I did.

I can't imagine the Jeep crowd will let the 3 pedals die out.

I would like to think sports cars, and newer muscle cars would keep the demand, but most new sports cars are all going to paddle shift automatics

Next time you all order a new one get something with 3 pedals, at least 1 more will be out there to confuse the youth, lol

Regards,
Old September 14th, 2020, 04:11 PM
Running On Empty

While in N the Dr meant "Neutral Drop", correct?

Old September 14th, 2020, 05:34 PM

If I am reading the vulvic nature of the logo, that there is an Edsel.
Old September 14th, 2020, 05:40 PM
Running On Empty

Koda - Indeed, it's from a '58 Villager. Speaking of an Edsel. A gentlemen at my club (golf) has the name Edsel. My fathers' second cousin's wife was named Buick; and, her sister was named Pontiac. I always found that interesting but it was what it was. BTW, they both drove respective namesake automobiles. I'm certain there have already been children born w/ the name Covid.
Old September 14th, 2020, 05:58 PM

My wife bought a Volvo V70R station wagon back in 2005 and she wanted a manual transmission so we had to order it from the factory as there were none available on any dealer lots, and she had to wait for one of the first 2006 models to be built. Now years later I find out there were 377 MT wagons imported into all of North America in 2006 and they are extremely sought after in the Volvo world.
Old September 14th, 2020, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
As I've said before, in 1969 it was easier to go to the moon than to fake it.

nuff’ said!!
Old September 14th, 2020, 06:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by matt69olds
nuff’ said!!
Hell yes!
Old September 15th, 2020, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Anyone else whose parents named him Buzz would also turn out to be a tough guy. Imagine getting picked on at school. Only Susan would turn out tougher, like Johnny Cash used to tell us
Old September 15th, 2020, 10:11 AM

Atleast here in Finland manual transmissions are on most cars. Its fading all the time, but so far manuals rule. It was really hard to find automatic station wagon to my wife from used car market.
Myself, i hate manuals passionately. Nothing bugs me more than my work-van, 6-speed trans? Fu****ng 6 gears to row through when automatic could handle it all. Or talk about trucks ( okay, there you can pass gears at will), but selecting through 18 gears. Gets. Old. Fast.

Automatic transmission is probably the best invention on automotive history.
Old September 15th, 2020, 03:48 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
Anyone else whose parents named him Buzz would also turn out to be a tough guy. Imagine getting picked on at school. Only Susan would turn out tougher, like Johnny Cash used to tell us
To be fair, his parents did not name him Buzz. His real name is Edwin, but I understand your sentiment.

Aldrin had two siblings, both sisters: Madeleine, who was four years older, and Fay Ann, who was a year and a half older.[4] His nickname, which became his legal first name in 1988,[5][6] arose as a result of Fay's mispronouncing "brother" as "buzzer", which was then shortened to "Buzz".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Aldrin
Old September 16th, 2020, 11:18 AM

Diesel locomotives are really diesel/electric with electric motors on the wheels and a diesel powered generator. As Joe P. said, full torque at zero rpm with an electric motor.

Meanwhile,, my 66 feels just right with a Jerico 4-speed and vertical gate shifter.
Old September 17th, 2020, 12:28 PM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
Learned a manual on our Farmall H and a Wheel Horse lawn tractor, later refined shifting and feathering in a VW Beetle....Born just in time to miss the great stuff, early enough to have a real childhood..
^^ THIS! That's how I started out, on a Farmall and a Dynamark lawn mower, then moved to a 125cc Suzuki at age 11 (sure, clutching with hand and shifting with foot, but that translates just as easily). My Dad had me drive on the road for the first time at age 12 in an '82 F250 with the six cylinder 4 speed. First gear was so low that we always started out in 2nd.

A couple of years later, older sister is driving the Chevette to school and can't get going from the stoplight. Kept stalling it out. After sitting thru what must've been 8 light changes, I finally convinced her to let me drive the rest of the way to school (I was 14). Light turned green again, and away we went. She cursed at me for the next few minutes until she realized that she needed to fix her makeup. Yeah, a 16 year old girl gets a little emotional when she can't get the car moving.

Old September 17th, 2020, 01:35 PM

I'm teaching my 17 year old daughter to drive my 87 Mustang 5.0 five speed convertible now. She learned to drive in it last summer when it was a 2.3 auto. My dad bought it new and it will be hers soon. Once she's mastered the Mustang she can tackle the 455 M20 in the 68 442.
Old September 20th, 2020, 07:38 AM

Hi all again,

Was watching a show on Velocity right C8 Corvette, guess they no longer offer a manual transmission

I just got a new Challenger and glad its got 3 pedals, although the ne cars have way too many gadgets

Regards,
Old September 20th, 2020, 02:46 PM
Running On Empty

Like others have previously mentioned I also spent considerable time learning on tractors. I remember how fun it was when you first learn to turn a tractor 360° with either the LH or RH brake pedal.
Old September 20th, 2020, 03:06 PM
O'smobile

Just sold my my T56 ....

At least I have the M20
Old September 20th, 2020, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Inline
Yes, agreed !

Originally Posted by jmos4
Was watching a show on Velocity right C8 Corvette, guess they no longer offer a manual transmission
  • The new C8 Corvette is the first generation of the Corvette that will be automatic-only.
  • Chevy said the car didn't need a manual transmission because the C8's automatic is dramatically improved. For the first time it is a dual-clutch unit, sourced from Tremec.
  • But the real thing that convinced the Chevy team not to offer a manual was—sadly—low sales of the stick-shift C7 Corvette.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-transmission/

Old September 21st, 2020, 03:14 AM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by 69CSHC;1280645} [b
The new C8 Corvette is the first generation of the Corvette that will be automatic-only.[/b]

The very first Corvette was automatic only.

Old September 21st, 2020, 05:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by slantflat
And the crappy sales are one reason why the car was nearly killed off in the first couple of years.
Old September 21st, 2020, 06:45 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Like others have previously mentioned I also spent considerable time learning on tractors. I remember how fun it was when you first learn to turn a tractor 360° with either the LH or RH brake pedal.
I had completely forgotten about the L and R brake pedals. I feel too-far removed from my hick-*** country roots now!
Old September 21st, 2020, 01:14 PM

The first Thunderbirds also. But, there was an option available for having them blown:

Old September 21st, 2020, 04:52 PM

True, but I think Car and Driver's talking point is implying the entire 8th generation will be non manual transmission.

C1 or first generation of Corvette is 1953-1962 by 1955 manual transmission was an option.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...rolet-corvette/
Old September 24th, 2020, 07:00 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

That's nothing compared to Citroen weirdness:

I found the Citroen umbrella handle shift easy, as was the very similar design found in several Renault models. Column shift I also found no problem, although mostly it couldn't be hurried.

Originally Posted by Inline
Atleast here in Finland manual transmissions are on most cars. Its fading all the time, but so far manuals rule. It was really hard to find automatic station wagon to my wife from used car market.
Myself, i hate manuals passionately. Nothing bugs me more than my work-van, 6-speed trans? Fu****ng 6 gears to row through when automatic could handle it all. Or talk about trucks ( okay, there you can pass gears at will), but selecting through 18 gears. Gets. Old. Fast.

Absolutely, If I drive stick it's because I have to, not because I want to. Stick is still normal on most downscale and midrange UK cars, as in the rest of Europe.

Roger.
Old September 24th, 2020, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I found the Citroen umbrella handle shift easy, as was the very similar design found in several Renault models. Column shift I also found no problem, although mostly it couldn't be hurried...
Unlike the Germans, the French were never known to be in a hurry
Old September 25th, 2020, 06:10 PM

My 17 year old daughter driving us home from dinner tonight.

Last edited by allyolds68; September 25th, 2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old September 26th, 2020, 12:52 AM

That was a timeless and most attractive Ford dashboard design, reminiscent of the early 80s Audi 4000 and 5000 models.
By the way, who's sitting next to your daughter clenching a fist? Is this in preparation for when she makes a driving mistake?
Leno claims that the Citroen SM had the best manual trnsmission he had ever shifted. The reason for the single-spoke steering wheel is also explained:

Old September 26th, 2020, 03:31 AM

By the way, who's sitting next to your daughter clenching a fist? Is this in preparation for when she makes a driving mistake?
that would be my wife....lol
Old September 26th, 2020, 03:38 AM

Would be? That must mean that you would be her husband?
Old September 26th, 2020, 04:28 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

That was a timeless and most attractive Ford dashboard design, reminiscent of the early 80s Audi 4000 and 5000 models.
Leno claims that the Citroen SM had the best manual trnsmission he had ever shifted. The reason for the single-spoke steering wheel is also explained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QH6q3C_W3k
Well he's wrong. The best shifting manual transmission ever was the British Vauxhall HA Viva (1963-1966). A few subcompact Japanese rwd cars came close, but why he should think any Citroen model was good defeats me.

Roger.
Old September 26th, 2020, 04:33 AM

Would be? That must mean that you would be her husband?
my wife is sitting on the front passenger side. I’m in the back seat taking the pic.
Old September 26th, 2020, 04:43 AM

I bought a 2010 Ford Fusion with a 6 spd stick back in Aug '09. It's been one of the nicest Ford vehicles( I work for Ford) I've ever owned! Sad to say after 11 yrs & almost 200k it's nearing the end. The **** they put on the roads here in Ohio during the winter have finally caught up with the car. I've never kept a driver as long as this one but it drives so nice & it actually runs pretty strong for a 2.5 four banger! I originally wanted a Fusion Sport but they didn't offer a stick with the V6??? I found a nicely optioned "SE" model with the 6spd at a dealer over 40 miles from my house ,this was during the infamous cash for clunkers time & you had to buy a vehicle of the lot, no special orders. I bought a complete leather interior from a wrecked Sport model, added V6 dual exhaust from the cat back,cold air intake & some big sway bars & a strut tower brace from Steeda. I made it into a Fusion GT that Ford never built!

The last year for a stick in a Fusion was '15 & you had to special order it. The Ford plant I work at does all commercial trucks from the E350 all the way to the huge F750s no sticks in any of them!!! At least you can still get 3 pedals in the Mustang but just like the Vettes & Mopars the new autos are faster! At least I still have my '68 442 to bang the gears in! I'm thinking about a new Ranger after this winter but no sticks in those either but I've heard due to demand from the off-road people they are going to offer a 7spd stick in the new Bronco!
Old September 26th, 2020, 09:48 AM

Ford's ain't bad. I've got one Ford, even though my hobby is mostly GM, an old van seen earlier in this thread. I always thought Ford paint, interior, and audio was the best. Their auto transmissions and water pumps vex me, and their 4x4 front bearings in the pre-90s vehicles were awful with manual hubs.
Old September 26th, 2020, 10:43 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Fun71
That made me remember my brother-in-law telling me about the Peugot he drove in high school that had a 4 speed column shift. Talk about weird.
My dad had one of those -- actually two! Mercedes had "four on the tree" as well.
Old September 26th, 2020, 11:05 AM

My 03 Z06 with a T-56 6 speed is still a real fun car to drive.
1st=50@6538
2nd=70@6380
3rd=100@6296
4th=145@6384
5th=170@6287
6th=Who cares, not possible to hit redline.

Old September 26th, 2020, 01:32 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by therobski
My 03 Z06 with a T-56 6 speed is still a real fun car to drive.
1st=50@6538
2nd=70@6380
3rd=100@6296
4th=145@6384
5th=170@6287
6th=Who cares, not possible to hit redline.
The T-56 made my 1970 a fun car to drive too
1st = 40 @ 5400
2nd = 65 @5880
3rd = 90 @ 5940
4th = 115 @ 5840
5th = 148 @ 5640
6th is only for cruising, 80 @ 2030

But, when corners come, the old sled is not nearly as much fun as a Z06!
Old September 26th, 2020, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
my wife is sitting on the front passenger side. I’m in the back seat taking the pic.
No better place for keeping both of them in line . Just kidding. Joyrides are supposed to be fun anyway

Quick Reply: Mourning the Manual Transmission